+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Labuschagne fails for a second time - even Steven at the moment I’d say.

Yeah game again back in the balance.

Could do with 1 or 2 more before the close

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Could do with 1 or 2 more before the close
    Cloudy skies to tomorrow approaching

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Cloudy skies to tomorrow approaching
    Smiths gone … Broad

First Team

So finely balanced now.
    If pushed I would take the Australian position but with a crumbling track and damp weather forecast batting may be tricky.
    Great test match though.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    So finely balanced now.
    If pushed I would take the Australian position but with a crumbling track and damp weather forecast batting may be tricky.
    Great test match though.
    Yeah, the weather could make batting in between the showers tricky if the forecast's right

Can only see the Aussies winning from here unless rain beats them

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Can only see the Aussies winning from here unless rain beats them
    Skybet make England very slight favs.

Eng 11/10 , Aus 6/5.

2 sessions to go most likely. Throughout the test neither side has had one session that they totally dominated. It wouldn't surprise me if it's something like 190 for 6 at lunch and were none the wiser who'll end up winning.

174 with 7 wickets remaining isn't a straightforward ask at all. England will pick up wickets.

They went from 67-3 to 370-6 first time around. I think they'll have enough unless the rain keeps appearing and offering something to Broad and Anderson

If the ball starts doing a bit don't rule out Robinson. Looking at tickets there's not many left, should be rocking again.
    It's been a superb test match, hope the possible rain doesn't spoil it.

They went from 67-3 to 370-6 first time around. I think they'll have enough unless the rain keeps appearing and offering something to Broad and Anderson
    That'll mean nothing in a run chase. England got to 297-6 in their first innings but lost their 6th wicket in their second innings at 196. Not too many sides score more in their second innings, unless they've had a nightmare first innings.

Since 2018 Australia have played 47 tests, winning 25. Of those 25, they've won 5 batting last, scoring 93, 20, 10, 35 and 73 to win those tests. The last time they made a run chase over 200 to win a test was in Feb 2016 in New Zealand. The last time they scored more than they need in this test to win was in 2011 in Johannesburg, where they chased down 310 with 2 wickets remaining.

There have been more run chases of over 250 that Australia have lost than won in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That'll mean nothing in a run chase. England got to 297-6 in their first innings but lost their 6th wicket in their second innings at 196. Not too many sides score more in their second innings, unless they've had a nightmare first innings.

Since 2018 Australia have played 47 tests, winning 25. Of those 25, they've won 5 batting last, scoring 93, 20, 10, 35 and 73 to win those tests. The last time they made a run chase over 200 to win a test was in Feb 2016 in New Zealand. The last time they scored more than they need in this test to win was in 2011 in Johannesburg, where they chased down 310 with 2 wickets remaining.

There have been more run chases of over 250 that Australia have lost than won in the last decade.
    Lol I should have guessed you'd have some good backup stats to go with your post! Hope you are right but just think England will miss out in this one

Lol I should have guessed you'd have some good backup stats to go with your post! Hope you are right but just think England will miss out in this one
    I think that's the beauty of test cricket. We can all have our opinions but absolutely anything can happen in a run chase like this. All the stats in the world go out of the window. Stokes at Headingley is proof of that - a test that was utterly dead in the water, then somehow it turned around.

Tomorrow there'll be men around the bat, very unorthodox/inventive field positions from Stokes, someone will score runs, someone will take wickets. I haven't made a prediction yet because I really don't know which way it is going to go. I don't think Australia will walk it. It's the Ashes. Things happen, like Brooks' wicket in the first innings. A close test like this is just great drama and there's possibly nothing like it elsewhere in sport.

Australia were chasing 281 in that famous run chase in 2005 at Edgbaston when they fell 2 runs short. Same drama this time.? DRS would have saved Australia and Kaprowicz back then as well as he should not have been given out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Australia were chasing 281 in that famous run chase in 2005 at Edgbaston when they fell 2 runs short. Same drama this time.? DRS would have saved Australia and Kaprowicz back then as well as he should not have been given out.
    Yep, unless they bollocksed their reviews, like they did at Headingley, where again they should have won.

I think that's the beauty of test cricket. We can all have our opinions but absolutely anything can happen in a run chase like this. All the stats in the world go out of the window. Stokes at Headingley is proof of that - a test that was utterly dead in the water, then somehow it turned around.

Tomorrow there'll be men around the bat, very unorthodox/inventive field positions from Stokes, someone will score runs, someone will take wickets. I haven't made a prediction yet because I really don't know which way it is going to go. I don't think Australia will walk it. It's the Ashes. Things happen, like Brooks' wicket in the first innings. A close test like this is just great drama and there's possibly nothing like it elsewhere in sport.
    Test cricket is the greatest representation of the greatest sport.

Just look at the cricket threads on here - no descent into personal abuse where there's disagreement, just intelligent discussion.

I was at Edgbaston on Saturday, sat with a Jack season ticket holder on the train up, great bloke who sadly had watched Wales v Armenia the night before and tonight was at Turkey v Wales with Edgbaston in between. Cricket is a genuinely civilising influence.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Test cricket is the greatest representation of the greatest sport.

Just look at the cricket threads on here - no descent into personal abuse where there's disagreement, just intelligent discussion.

I was at Edgbaston on Saturday, sat with a Jack season ticket holder on the train up, great bloke who sadly had watched Wales v Armenia the night before and tonight was at Turkey v Wales with Edgbaston in between. Cricket is a genuinely civilising influence.

Absolute cobblers

Nothing like the drama of test match cricket ?

That's nonsense

I think rugby league is boring but fans of the sport think it's godflesh

You can make comments like that but they are the same as my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world

It's all opinions or in her case fact as she's buried under the carpet

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Absolute cobblers

Interesting stat that I've just read: There have been 10 occasions in Ashes history where either the fielding side have won by 25 runs or fewer, or the batting side has won by 3 or fewer wickets. England have won all 10.

It's up for grabs now!

Aussies just lost their Fifth wicket 🏏

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    It was LBW

He was right in line

What a sport that last 5 days . Ashes has to be one if the greatest contests on earth .