+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

I doubt if Australia will declare in a first innings. They will get as many as possible and probably get England to follow on after their batsmen flop.

Australia may declare once they’ve got beyond 450 to 500, they have done so in the past. However, I’m sure it never entered the Aussies’ mind to declare on the first day, just like it shouldn’t have entered Ben Stokes’ head at Edgbaston.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Australia may declare once they’ve got beyond 450 to 500, they have done so in the past. However, I’m sure it never entered the Aussies’ mind to declare on the first day, just like it shouldn’t have entered Ben Stokes’ head at Edgbaston.
    I would hesitate to call it a fight back maybe more of a damage limitation exercise this morning.
    I fear a traditional middle order collapse and England batting again, this evening, with a deficit of around 180.
    Australia's to lose , as it stands.

It will be interesting to see what the Australians get out of this wicket. Their attack is superior to Englands one paced attack and theyve got a world class spinner.

If 400 is a par score on the wicket then England have enough quality to get near they score.

I fear though that Englands poor bowling has allowed them to score too many.

Australia without doubt firmly in charge of the match and the Ashes.

2 big sessions coming up which England need to get the upper hand to even put them near par for the game.

England 160-1 - chwarae teg to them, they’ve come back really strongly today.

Its been a good start but Pope and Crawley have given their wickets away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its been a good start but Pope and Crawley have given their wickets away.
    this is how they play the game now. no more dot dot dot

Root lucky. FFS learn from that and pull yourself together.

Lyon off with a calf injury as well. Could be a massive moment in the Test.England have put themselves in a good position. Be positive but dont give them easy wickets.

Back in this. Dont blow it.

Duckett now falls for the short ball. WTF are they thinking.???

This is ridiculous batting. Harry Brook backing away to leg second ball and whacking it over point. Tried it again and it’s gone passed the keeper. Treating it like a 20 20 game. As I said ridiculous.

It's how England now play the game, and how Australia have played the game today. A couple of mis-timed shots have brought down both Pope and Duckett.

Its brainless cricket. Root had one let off and doesnt learn.

Idiotic to keep falling for that

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    This is ridiculous batting. Harry Brook backing away to leg second ball and whacking it over point. Tried it again and it’s gone passed the keeper. Treating it like a 20 20 game. As I said ridiculous.
    Brook's innings has been terrible, mad, but he's still there tomorrow!

Stokes makes them all play like madmen and then comes in and plays like Boycott!

Entertaining it is, sort of.....

Its great entertainment and Englands day. But should have been so much better and I think a couple should have made big hundreds.

Why fall for such obvious traps when runs were there for the taking anyway.

Big innings needed tomorrow from at least 2 out of Brook Bairstow and Stokes.

This could be another close one.

Its great entertainment and Englands day. But should have been so much better and I think a couple should have made big hundreds.

Why fall for such obvious traps when runs were there for the taking anyway.

Big innings needed tomorrow from at least 2 out of Brook Bairstow and Stokes.

This could be another close one.
    Pontin thinks Harry Brook will struggle against the short ball throughout his test career. I disagree , he’s just unorthodox.

Playing Devil's advocate to an extent, England have batted for sixty one overs, what do you think their score would be if they batted "normally"? For a start, Crawley always seems more vulnerable to me when he is pushing and poking at the ball - I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have reached forty eight if he had tried to "build an innings". The same applies to Duckett only less so, much is made of the fact he leave so few balls (something I think is asking for trouble as an opener), but is he better off fully committing to shots as opposed to having the question "do I play this or not?" turning over in his mind in the split second before the ball reaches him? I think I'm right in saying Pope's figures are better under McCullum than they were before (Bairstow's definitely are), but I'm still not convinced about him yet, while Root should just be told to play in the way that has got him to be rated right up there among England's best batsmen.

My guess is that, if that England line up had played those sixty one overs in typical test match mode, they would have ended the day at something like 180-3 - in this instance, I'd say ninety mote runs for one more wicket lost is the better position to be in. Baz ball isn't all bad or all good, but I agree that machismo took over last night, Pope's shot was ridiculous, Duckett was a bit unlucky, Root took leave of his senses and I think you just have to accept Brook for what he is - he's seems another one who wouldn't be as effective pushing and prodding to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Playing Devil's advocate to an extent, England have batted for sixty one overs, what do you think their score would be if they batted "normally"? For a start, Crawley always seems more vulnerable to me when he is pushing and poking at the ball - I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have reached forty eight if he had tried to "build an innings". The same applies to Duckett only less so, much is made of the fact he leave so few balls (something I think is asking for trouble as an opener), but is he better off fully committing to shots as opposed to having the question "do I play this or not?" turning over in his mind in the split second before the ball reaches him? I think I'm right in saying Pope's figures are better under McCullum than they were before (Bairstow's definitely are), but I'm still not convinced about him yet, while Root should just be told to play in the way that has got him to be rated right up there among England's best batsmen.

My guess is that, if that England line up had played those sixty one overs in typical test match mode, they would have ended the day at something like 180-3 - in this instance, I'd say ninety mote runs for one more wicket lost is the better position to be in. Baz ball isn't all bad or all good, but I agree that machismo took over last night, Pope's shot was ridiculous, Duckett was a bit unlucky, Root took leave of his senses and I think you just have to accept Brook for what he is - he's seems another one who wouldn't be as effective pushing and prodding to me.
    Depends on this mornings session I’d say before we can judge. A good one and I’d say it was vindicated. Quick scoring means you face less balls ,and decreases a batter’s chances of being dismissed.

Lyon looks to be out for the remainder of the series according to Aggers on TMS last night.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Depends on this mornings session I’d say before we can judge. A good one and I’d say it was vindicated. Quick scoring means you face less balls ,and decreases a batter’s chances of being dismissed.

Lyon looks to be out for the remainder of the series according to Aggers on TMS last night.

Wouldn't surprise me if they called up Mitchell Swepson to replace Lyon

And another one

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if they called up Mitchell Swepson to replace Lyon
    Todd Murphy seems to be the favourite to replace him. I don't know much about him but there is a lot of positive things being written about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Todd Murphy seems to be the favourite to replace him. I don't know much about him but there is a lot of positive things being written about him.
    Murphy is already in the squad and yes, more likely to play if Lyon is out. They'd probably call up a back up, which I think will be Swepson.
    Glamorgan probably need to start searching again for a replacement.

England have lost 6-47 this morning

All out 325

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    England have lost 6-47 this morning

All out 325
    Well I did predict a collapse although I was pretty much wrong about everything else.
    Interesting to see how aggressive Australia are in backing themselves, with a declaration, to set England a target.