+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Stuart Broad, the man who didn’t walk from the most obvious of nicks, is the last person who should get on his high horse about the spirit of the game.

Some talk on the radio about how the Australians could have withdrawn the appeal, but I’m with the English commentators who are calling Bairstow “dozy”.

Stokes brings century up with 3 sixes.

Rest of the series is going to be spicy. Other crowds will be far more hostile than Lords.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Stuart Broad, the man who didn’t walk from the most obvious of nicks, is the last person who should get on his high horse about the spirit of the game.

Some talk on the radio about how the Australians could have withdrawn the appeal, but I’m with the English commentators who are calling Bairstow “dozy”.
    On the flip side the outrage of that from a country and players who apart from Gilchrist never walked was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Stokes brings century up with 3 sixes.

Rest of the series is going to be spicy. Other crowds will be far more hostile than Lords.
    Depends if Aus can win this.

Can't see England winning three on the bounce to win the Ashes.

Don't like that from Carey, pretty poor. Although this England team are a pretty abrasive, unlikeable side so I can maybe understand a little bit more. More luck for stokes, wish people would stop dropping him!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Depends if Aus can win this.

Can't see England winning three on the bounce to win the Ashes.
    No but they will get loads of sh!t from the crowds. After blatant cheating a few years ago things had calmed down a bit.

Ashes are probably gone though and the stupidity of claiming that is going to tarnish it. Theyd have won without reverting to type.

I can't think of a sporting venue I'd rather be less than in the Long Room.

Sea of gammon.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I can't think of a sporting venue I'd rather be less than in the Long Room.

Sea of gammon.
    🤣🤣🤣

It’s one hell of a watch this series for so many reasons. But Ben Stokes when he’s up against it is absolute genius. He won’t be able to pull this off I imagine but boy is he some player.

Trying to think of a football equivalent. Scoring after your opponents put the ball out because of an injury instead of giving the ball back to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Trying to think of a football equivalent. Scoring after your opponents put the ball out because of an injury instead of giving the ball back to them?
    Fair comparison.

I disagree, Bairstow was being daft - he behaves as he should have done and nothing happens, it wasn’t a one off either, Carey could have done it two or three times before he did.

First Team

I disagree, Bairstow was being daft - he behaves as he should have done and nothing happens, it wasn’t a one off either, Carey could have done it two or three times before he did.
    Got to agree.
    What on earth was he thinking by leaving the crease immediately.
    Very unprofessional from Bairstow and the keeper was within his rights to run him out.

It was sloppy from Bairstow, but who wants to see batsmen get out like that? He's not trying to pinch a run like a Mankad.

Definitely pre meditated by Carey.

Bairstow clearly thought the balls were dead.

Its not great play against a country like Australia they will win by whatever it takes.

It was sloppy from Bairstow, but who wants to see batsmen get out like that? He's not trying to pinch a run like a Mankad.
    Australians do.

Can’t agree, Bairstow was in the crease when Carey threw it. Brilliant from Carey, dozy from Bairstow. Can’t be any excuses. Bairstow totally at fault.

The only football comparison can be o e team stopping expecting a whistle which didn’t come.

why
    england accepted the rules with that catch yesterday, but dont like it today its the rule, it wasnt the first time bairstow just walked out either it was thrown when he was in the crease

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Got to agree.
    What on earth was he thinking by leaving the crease immediately.
    Very unprofessional from Bairstow and the keeper was within his rights to run him out.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    why
    england accepted the rules with that catch yesterday, but dont like it today its the rule, it wasnt the first time bairstow just walked out either it was thrown when he was in the crease
    That catch was different. Duckett walked off.

He thought it was out. The umpire called him back after seeing Stark ground the ball.

Both sides reek of hypocrisy. Australia were caught blatantly cheating in South Africa, we had tears from Smith, Warner was supposed to be a changed man and they were going to become the best behaved side in the world, yet I’ve seen no evidence of a change in their approach. This team have shown a hard nosed, almost negative attitude which seems to be motivated by a desire to wipe the concept of Bazball out and that’s another reason why Bairstow was stupid - you should be on your guard against this team and not give them the opportunity he did.

As for England, I’ve already mentioned Broad having the gall to stand there when he was caught at slip, but I also remember from about fifteen years ago a one day international with New Zealand where there was an accidental collision between the batsman and bowler which ended with batsman being run out while he was on the floor. The umpires went out of their way to ask if Paul Collingwood wanted to withdraw his appeal, but he said no and, thankfully, England went on to lose a very tight game. I’m convinced that if the roles were reversed and it was Carey who was wandering out of the crease in the Australian innings, Bairstow would have done the same thing.

Both sides reek of hypocrisy. Australia were caught blatantly cheating in South Africa, we had tears from Smith, Warner was supposed to be a changed man and they were going to become the best behaved side in the world, yet I’ve seen no evidence of a change in their approach. This team have shown a hard nosed, almost negative attitude which seems to be motivated by a desire to wipe the concept of Bazball out and that’s another reason why Bairstow was stupid - you should be on your guard against this team and not give them the opportunity he did.

As for England, I’ve already mentioned Broad having the gall to stand there when he was caught at slip, but I also remember from about fifteen years ago a one day international with New Zealand where there was an accidental collision between the batsman and bowler which ended with batsman being run out while he was on the floor. The umpires went out of their way to ask if Paul Collingwood wanted to withdraw his appeal, but he said no and, thankfully, England went on to lose a very tight game. I’m convinced that if the roles were reversed and it was Carey who was wandering out of the crease in the Australian innings, Bairstow would have done the same thing.
    On the plus side Bob at least Stokes is showing hes not this sides version of Mike Brearley.🤣

I'm convinced that if the roles were reversed and it was Carey who was wandering out of the crease in the Australian innings, Bairstow would have done the same thing.
    You could well be right. I'm not saying that England hold any moral high ground, I just think that's a crap way for any batsman to be out, even if it is technically correct.
    Mind you, it has turned the match into quite a spectacle now!

You could well be right. I'm not saying that England hold any moral high ground, I just think that's a crap way for any batsman to be out, even if it is technically correct.
    Mind you, it has turned the match into quite a spectacle now!
    Great entertainment- pantomime villains, dropped catches, Broad's theatrics and Stokes going at it- great stuff.

No finer sight in cricket than Stokes with a bat in his hand holding his team together.

Long way to go yet though.