Re: Official Ashes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    stuart broad will be a bit sore tomorrow
    Broad can bat.
    Playing himself in nicely.

Hundred partnership 👏

The convicts have complained about abuse from the long room.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Having witnessed pissed up Australians at their grounds they are taking the piss. Feckin snowflakes.

amazing knock

Stokes gone!
    Fantastic performance, though perhaps not quite good enough to win it

Brilliant performance from Stokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    On the plus side Bob at least Stokes is showing hes not this sides version of Mike Brearley.🤣

All of Stokes ashes centuries have come when the heat is on in the second innings

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    It was sloppy from Bairstow, but who wants to see batsmen get out like that? He's not trying to pinch a run like a Mankad.
    I'm happy to see it.

Thought it was great play.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'm happy to see it.

Thought it was great play.
    Are you Australian ?

They are playing the England And Wales Cricket Board , who’s funding keeps Glamorgan afloat

A second test England could, and maybe should have won, the margin of defeat should have one or two in the England dressing room thinking that they won the game for the Aussies.

England could and possibly should have won both the tests. Playing Bazball is one thing but playing stupidly when they had Australia on the ropes in the first innings and with Lyon crocked is quite another. Very poor game management and I hope some lessons are learned although it is undeniably exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Are you Australian ?

They are playing the England And Wales Cricket Board , who’s funding keeps Glamorgan afloat
    No Welsh through and through.

I know what the ECB is called and spent time at Lords and was amazed at all the references to Wales.

I don't get the love in for English cricket but not supporting them at football. How many on here would want England and Wales football team.

Despite the Bairstow dismissal its another case of what could have been. The collapse from 188-1 and Lyon injured was poor.

This England team is not far from being a really good one.

I know what the ECB is called and spent time at Lords and was amazed at all the references to Wales.

I don't get the love in for English cricket but not supporting them at football. How many on here would want England and Wales football team.
    It’s a similar situation to supporting the British Lions at rugby

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A second test England could, and maybe should have won, the margin of defeat should have one or two in the England dressing room thinking that they won the game for the Aussies.
    Thrown away wickets in the first innings proved costly.

I was brought up supporting the England cricket team in the knowledge that if any Welsh players were deemed good enough, they would receive an England cap. I did not have a problem with the team's name.

The same thing obviously does not apply to the English football team. Possibly because I was brainwashed by my dad at an early age to have an intense dislike of their national team, I find it hard to move away from this mindset. But it's the media hype for the football team that sticks in the craw. Especially when players like Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard were considered world beaters and odds on favourites to win every tournament in which they participated.

No it's not.

Apart from 'and Wales' on the small print of the letterhead, the England cricket team is just plain England.

All the emblems, all the iconography, all the songs and anthems, all the references (England, England, England...) are English.

The British & Irish Lions have four nations clearly represented on the badge, in the kit, and in all the cultural references.

Sure a few Welsh players have played for England (as have Irish, South African, Zimbabwean and others) and Glamorgan gets some financial support from international income - but that is nothing to balance the scales.

As a Welsh person I have never felt that England represented me. I agree with Flashman on this.

All the funding for cricket in Wales comes from the ECB, and it is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No it's not.

Apart from 'and Wales' on the small print of the letterhead, the England cricket team is just plain England.

All the emblems, all the iconography, all the songs and anthems, all the references (England, England, England...) are English.

The British & Irish Lions have four nations clearly represented on the badge, in the kit, and in all the cultural references.

Sure a few Welsh players have played for England (as have Irish, South African, Zimbabwean and others) and Glamorgan gets some financial support from international income - but that is nothing to balance the scales.

As a Welsh person I have never felt that England represented me. I agree with Flashman on this.
    Don’t agree, as not every British Lions Team has had Welsh representation (or is guaranteed) so for me it’s along similar lines ( not exact) and as cricket is very much a minority sport (excluding the BCCI) it’s not going to balance up as a comparison.

Conversely, there have been plenty of Glamorgan teams with hardly any Welsh representation.

I don't care for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    All the funding for cricket in Wales comes from the ECB, and it is a lot.
    So what?

Don’t agree, as not every British Lions Team has had Welsh representation (or is guaranteed) so for me it’s along similar lines ( not exact) and as cricket is very much a minority sport (excluding the BCCI) it’s not going to balance up as a comparison.
    Different opinions - fair enough.

But, one nation and four nations:

England cricket.jpg

Lions badge.jpg

Conversely, there have been plenty of Glamorgan teams with hardly any Welsh representation.
    When was the last time Wales didn't have a player on a Lions tour?

So what?
    So, there is no funding for cricket without the ECB. There is no investment in facilities and the sport dries up.

I've played cricket since I was 7, and the entire time all I wanted to do was play for England. It has never been an issue for me, and every single kid I played with (be it for my club or county) had the same ambition. Cricket is not football, it is a closed shop due to the insane decisions of the ICC (and BCCI). I love cricket, it is a special sport in worse hands than football.

I remember playing an age group final in Aberdare in 2005, we'd finished by the time Giles hit the winning runs and everyone went mental. There were hundreds there, everyone went bonkers. I often see this issue on twitter etc and it is almost always started by people who fundamentally don't like cricket. "Maybe I'd be interested if Wales had a team" etc. Bollocks.