+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Roooooooooooooooot!

Can't see Australia getting the runs now....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Can't see Australia getting the runs now....
    What did I say after that Root over....

Take the new ball Stokes.

Two an over...It's there for the Aussies....oh that first day declaration...

Good to see proper test match batting instead of slogball....

England will be kicking themselves. The declaration , no balls , Bairstow behind the stumps had a mare. Smith and Marnus failed in both innings. Really thrown this test.

Saying that great entertainment and great for cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    England will be kicking themselves. The declaration , no balls , Bairstow behind the stumps had a mare. Smith and Marnus failed in both innings. Really thrown this test.

Saying that great entertainment and great for cricket.
    Entirely agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Good to see proper test match batting instead of slogball....
    not really

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    not really
    You don't think so???

You just dont get away with the amount of mistakes England made in this Test against a side of Australias quality.

They really should have won.

Australia will get better. I think England need a couple of changes. 1 they wont make and thats Foakes behind the stumps.

The only change will be Wood probably for Broad.

Moeens ability to bowl long overs in a Test has to be questioned. I really dont know who is good enough to come in though.

Thought the bowling was average especially with the new ball

As much as I thought Stokes shouldn't have declared when he did, it's the missed chances that cost England the game.
    Great stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Thought the bowling was average especially with the new ball
    It was ok. Dead wicket. One paced attack. Pity Archer and Stone are injured because I think they are protecting Wood. He has to play 2nd Test though. Its a must win.

After Robinson's antics and the constant monotonous droning of that 'we're the right side, left side over here 'nonsense , I've never been so happy to see England lose. I don't think the Aussies got out of 3rd gear, they're going to need to for the next match. Not sure if they were purposely trying to be 'anti bazball', but the ultra negative style of play really doesn't suit them as a side.

Stokes need to tone it down, Cummins and the Aussies need to fire it up a bit. What a great match to set up the series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As much as I thought Stokes shouldn't have declared when he did, it's the missed chances that cost England the game.
    Great stuff though.
    Yeah I agree. I think Australia were rattled and if the chances were taken theyd have won.

It would have been a big win after such a declaration. You just can miss big chances like England did on a wicket like that.

England play as if losing doesn’t matter. They lost their previous game (I don’t count the Ireland match) after enforcing the follow on and lost this one because their Bazball keeper missed some chances Foakes would have taken - we can now say that the declaration definitely didn’t work and they wouldn’t have lost if they’d batted on and scored the fifty more they could have managed with Root going the way he was.

I’m not saying England’s approach is wrong, but questions are going to start being asked if they keep on losing games they shouldn’t have (especially Ashes ones).

One last thing, another reason why England lost was that their number one spinner was largely incapacitated through the decisive part of the game on a turning wicket - that was just bad luck (although it was a gamble to pick Moeen when he’d not bowled in red ball cricket for a couple of years) and had nothing to do with Bazball.

Moeens injury was bad luck but his selection was a gamble.

Also bit of bad luck Ducket and Crawley both going in between bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    England play as if losing doesn’t matter. They lost their previous game (I don’t count the Ireland match) after enforcing the follow on and lost this one because their Bazball keeper missed some chances Foakes would have taken - we can now say that the declaration definitely didn’t work and they wouldn’t have lost if they’d batted on and scored the fifty more they could have managed with Root going the way he was.

I’m not saying England’s approach is wrong, but questions are going to start being asked if they keep on losing games they shouldn’t have (especially Ashes ones).

One last thing, another reason why England lost was that their number one spinner was largely incapacitated through the decisive part of the game on a turning wicket - that was just bad luck (although it was a gamble to pick Moeen when he’d not bowled in red ball cricket for a couple of years) and had nothing to do with Bazball.
    Haven't England won 10 of their last 14?

The declaration meant a result was possible. There were 6 overs left, with the tail and then it is a new day, Root has to get in again. The big mistakes are Anderson is so undercooked, Bairstow too. There isn't a front line spinner to step in for Leach, and not taking the new ball was mental.

Also, on Bairstow. He is a world class batter and I'm pretty sure that's the worst he's ever kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

The declaration meant a result was possible. There were 6 overs left, with the tail and then it is a new day, Root has to get in again. The big mistakes are Anderson is so undercooked, Bairstow too. There isn't a front line spinner to step in for Leach, and not taking the new ball was mental.

Also, on Bairstow. He is a world class batter and I'm pretty sure that's the worst he's ever kept.
    I'd argue they'd have been able to move the game on quicker without declaring. I think there were 6 overs left in the day when they declared, lost 2 overs due to it so the Aussies faced 4 overs. Bright blue skies, pitch not doing much and root pinging sixes into the crowd. Just let root carry on playing T20 style for the last 6. They could well have ended up with another 50/60 quick runs against what was a tired looking bowling attack. As it was , Warner and khawaja had to face 4 overs in good conditions, they were probably glad to get out for a bat. If it was September and cloudy , and the ball was swinging round corners it would have made a lot more sense

It was the 1st day. The result was always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It was the 1st day. The result was always possible.
    They won with 5/6 overs to spare. So if Australia had the same 2 innings, the result wasn't possible.

The declaration is a much better decision than some of the choices made in the last hour, and the non selection of Wood.

Disagree about the declaration, Root hit something like fourteen off the over before the declaration, so six overs of him playing like that might have seen something like fifty scored. A result would have been possible if they’d batted on as it was only the firSt day. I’m not arguing against Bazball, but there are consequences to playing it - you win games you shouldn’t have, but we’re now starting to see that you lose games you shouldn’t.

There’s also consequences to picking Bairstow as wicketkeeper (someone said on Test Match Special that it’s a few years since Bairstow has played as a test wicketkeeper and that his body shape had changed in that time - they weren’t surprised that his wicket keeping, which was never top class, had declined).

My point is that the whole Bazball thing seems doomed to failure to me because as soon as things start to go wrong, there’ll be influential people within the game down on it like a ton of bricks saying I told you so - even if England come back and win the Ashes playing like they have been for the past year, I can’t see it becoming the norm in test cricket in the future (if test cricket has a future).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Disagree about the declaration, Root hit something like fourteen off the over before the declaration, so six overs of him playing like that might have seen something like fifty scored. A result would have been possible if they’d batted on as it was only the firSt day. I’m not arguing against Bazball, but there are consequences to playing it - you win games you shouldn’t have, but we’re now starting to see that you lose games you shouldn’t.

There’s also consequences to picking Bairstow as wicketkeeper (someone said on Test Match Special that it’s a few years since Bairstow has played as a test wicketkeeper and that his body shape had changed in that time - they weren’t surprised that his wicket keeping, which was never top class, had declined).

My point is that the whole Bazball thing seems doomed to failure to me because as soon as things start to go wrong, there’ll be influential people within the game down on it like a ton of bricks saying I told you so - even if England come back and win the Ashes playing like they have been for the past year, I can’t see it becoming the norm in test cricket in the future (if test cricket has a future).
    England lost this game because they stopped attacking/playing Baseball. They had Australia 8 down, with 60 needed and stopped attacking. They scored enough runs to have it sewn up, and for some reason they didn't take the new ball and let them back into the game. England have made test cricket exciting again and they've won far more games than they've "lost". Nobody wins in Pakistan without doing what England did. Who cares about the "influential people" in the game? They all wanted the crisp tournament and let the IPL turn into a monster without any intervention. England were going at 5/6 an over for an entire day, their Bazball batting meant a result was possible, regardless of the declaration.

I dont understand the thinking of delaying the new ball after Carey went.

Problem for Stokes is despite it being a brilliant competitive game the declaration and that decision will be questioned as they lost.

Bairstow continuing behind the stumps , adding Wood and sorting out the no balls really all needed to be looked at whatever the result.