+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CCFC to CCFC

CCFC to CCFC

You see certain players over the years who’ve played for us and one that I watched in the u21’s but like so many others didn’t get a look in at first team level was a former Goalkeeper of ours namely Ben Wilson.
    I think he made the odd first team start but those were mainly lowly cup games.
    I’ve met him a few times and he’s a really decent fella
    Unfortunately his face didn’t fit with our manager of the day and he’s moved on
    Thirty years old now but Goalkeepers tend to blossom late
    I’ve been keeping an eye on him this season and he’s been doing really well for the only other CCFC as in Coventry
    They’ve pretty much cemented a playoff place and I for one will be hoping he does well ⚽️

Re: CCFC to CCFC

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    You see certain players over the years who’ve played for us and one that I watched in the u21’s but like so many others didn’t get a look in at first team level was a former Goalkeeper of ours namely Ben Wilson.
    I’ve been keeping an eye on him this season and he’s been doing really well for the only other CCFC as in Coventry
    They’ve pretty much cemented a playoff place and I for one will be hoping he does well ⚽️
    3 league starts in the Championship with 7 goals conceded and 3 losses, 1 league cup game.

Face didn't fit? Hmm. Numerous loan sells away from us, AFC Wimbledon one cut short after calling their fans "*****".

His attitude was his undoing with us. We've had way better keepers since him.

Sadly, Coventry own the CCFC trademark in respect of things football.

Yesterday’s game v Boro was a very nervy affair which saw Ben Wilson pull of two great saves
    It’ll be an interesting watch Tuesday & Wednesday
    I think the momentum is with Sunderland to go up
    They sneak into the playoffs on the last day and come back from a goal down against the hatters

Ian Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sadly, Coventry own the CCFC trademark in respect of things football.
    I'm sure I used to see 'CCAFC' written a bit more in relation to us. Or am I mistaken? No one would ever write that now, but didn't it used to be more common?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Ian Gibson
    Aron Gunarsson the other way

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm sure I used to see 'CCAFC' written a bit more in relation to us. Or am I mistaken? No one would ever write that now, but didn't it used to be more common?
    Hammam dropped the association from our name.

Wilson was bloody awful for us. He looked a million miles from a Championship goalkeeper. He's had many unsuccessful loan spells, and was couldn't get a game for Bradford in League One in 18/19. He has even been dropped by Coventry, he was their backup last season after playing 27 games the previous season.

It is great he is doing so well, good luck to him but to say his "face didn't fit" is rubbish. We also had a certain David Marshall in net...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Both the same way I think you'll find

also Willie Boland

Another former City keeper is their No.2 also. Simon Moore.

Ben Turner

Willo Flood came to us from Man City - but he had been on loan at Coventry before the move.

Dave Bennett went the other way I think.

Yes of course both to City from Coventry. Both highly influential midfielders. How good would it be to have them both in their prime playing for us now?

Yes of course both to City from Coventry. Both highly influential midfielders. How good would it be to have them both in their prime playing for us now?
    Absolutely, even though he wasn't with is that long, Ian Gibson remains one of my favourite City players ever.

Absolutely, even though he wasn't with is that long, Ian Gibson remains one of my favourite City players ever.
    "The General" 👍

Simon Haworth

Now there’s a name
    Simon Howarth
    He was from Llanrumney
    He was starting out about the same time as Bellamy
    I remember he had a blinding season then went to Coventry for half a mil
    £500,000 in old money
    Bellers went on to have an illustrious career with some hefty transfer sums whereas Howarth went on to football obscurity
    Not sure what happened to him or what he’s doing now??? 🤔

Now there’s a name
    Simon Howarth
    He was from Llanrumney
    He was starting out about the same time as Bellamy
    I remember he had a blinding season then went to Coventry for half a mil
    £500,000 in old money
    Bellers went on to have an illustrious career with some hefty transfer sums whereas Howarth went on to football obscurity
    Not sure what happened to him or what he’s doing now??? ��
    Just had a look. He managed Clitheroe and Stalybridge Celtic after retiring as a player. Resigned from Stalybridge a year ago and now a scout for Burnley.

Thanks for that Jon
    There’s the llanrumney/Trowbridge connection with Bellars at Burnley
    Talk about jobs for the boys
    At least he’s still in football and earning a living 😃👍

bitter sweet for me at the moment... coventry are my childhood team, we had such a shit season and cov are having a great 1

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    bitter sweet for me at the moment... coventry are my childhood team, we had such a shit season and cov are having a great 1
    Due to familail connections with Coventry I saw them a number of times when I was a kid. Ernie Hunt, Willie Carr and Ian Gibson being my favourite players of theirs at the time.