+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Medieval pantomime a right embarrassment on the world stage

Medieval pantomime a right embarrassment on the world stage

After Brexit this pantomime today makes Britain look very old fashioned, frugal, definitely not inclusive and frankly an embarrassment. The country really is a little island going backwards with delusions of grandeur and importance in the World.

Whilst a very large number of people are struggling to go about their daily lives and feed their families we see this pompous, arrogant decadence which is completely insensitive and unnecessary.

Nobody in power seems to be focussing on the key issues in society and the pain, worry and upset so many are enduring.

I'll keep it polite and respectful but something needs to change pretty quickly and GB needs to be more representative of everyone and the playing field levelled. It's 2023 and not 1623!

Re: Medieval pantomime a right embarrassment on the world stage

Frugal? Anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Frugal? Anything but.
    oops sorry typo meant feudal!

14 million in poverty, every public service failing, but we have pomp which makes everything better.

Utter embarrassment on the world stage, only the elderly care.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    After Brexit this pantomime today makes Britain look very old fashioned, feudal, definitely not inclusive and frankly an embarrassment. The country really is a little island going backwards with delusions of grandeur and importance in the World.

Whilst a very large number of people are struggling to go about their daily lives and feed their families we see this pompous, arrogant decadence which is completely insensitive and unnecessary.

Nobody in power seems to be focussing on the key issues in society and the pain, worry and upset so many are enduring.

I'll keep it polite and respectful but something needs to change pretty quickly and GB needs to be more representative of everyone and the playing field levelled. It's 2023 and not 1623!
    sorry I meant 'feudal' it's definitely not frugal! sorry my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    14 million in poverty, every public service failing, but we have pomp which makes everything better.

you could put a lot of food in the foodbanks with £150m which is what this panto has supposedly cost!

Well, if the King was responsible for running the country I might have more sympathy for your viewpoint. Politics got us where we are today. If they got rid of the royal family tomorrow there would be no change in the fortunes of the people in this country.

you could put a lot of food in the foodbanks with £150m which is what this panto has supposedly cost!
    You like pantos ?
    https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-...end-it-in-time

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

From this thread I take it that you aren't of age (it creeps up very quickly) I'm not an anti royalist or pro royalist and wish it ended when Liz popped her clogs, i think you make a very valid point on the obscene cost of this and every occasion like this, I don't have a counter argument, and my only observation would be that without this event there would still be 14 million in poverty. Poverty isn't a single issue problem.

After Brexit this pantomime today makes Britain look very old fashioned, frugal, definitely not inclusive and frankly an embarrassment. The country really is a little island going backwards with delusions of grandeur and importance in the World.

What's your solution to solving these problems? Do they not exist in republics?

It's just another rant with no substance. .

And you aren't correct about how it looks around the world; you can see that by googling le monde, sud Deutsche zeitung, CNN, Sydney Morning Herlaf etc etc etc.

If the rant makes you feel good, then good for you, but you don't offer solutions to problems that have zero connection to the ceremony today

The poverty that exists is down to some who are a million times more wealthy than the Royal family. Through debts, tax to pay off government debt and corporate ownership and greed, these few take a lot more of our money than do these royals.

However, we have all been programmed to defend them, as I'm sure some will shortly demonstrate.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

And you aren't correct about how it looks around the world; you can see that by googling le monde, sud Deutsche zeitung, CNN, Sydney Morning Herlaf etc etc etc.

If the rant makes you feel good, then good for you, but you don't offer solutions to problems that have zero connection to the ceremony today
    You can't assume that coverage in newspapers is an accurate reflection of the attitudes of everyone in that country. Read the Guardian if you want to know how everyone in the UK feels.

having lived abroad, have a second home abroad and working all over the world I believe in being integrated and more friendly to people from other countries. it's the job of politicians to do what's best for society not the likes of me. there are people risking their lives crossing the channel with families, parts of the world killing civilians, our own citizens starving and reliant on foodbanks and we have this pomp.

this government ought to be doing better and today really is unfortunate in that it comes at a time when we have a mess.

the disparity in society is very sad and also that nobody seems to be doing anything to address it.

That’s a pretty sloppy argument tbh. I don’t think the claim would be that a ceremony like today is the only cause of, let’s say, poverty in society. But perhaps that it’s not justifiable or shouldn’t be a priority in a society where poverty exists. Pointing out that poverty also exists elsewhere is really not a reasoned reply.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You can't assume that coverage in newspapers is an accurate reflection of the attitudes of everyone in that country. Read the Guardian if you want to know how everyone in the UK feels.
    I don't assume that. It will be a mixture of interest, respect, bemusement, humour, boredom, reverence.

Ie, a variety of opinions...exactly NOT how Taffy Blue presented it

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That’s a pretty sloppy argument tbh. I don’t think the claim would be that a ceremony like today is the only cause of, let’s say, poverty in society. But perhaps that it’s not justifiable or shouldn’t be a priority in a society where poverty exists. Pointing out that poverty also exists elsewhere is really not a reasoned reply.
    So where do we draw the line, whilst poverty exists?

Should we find sport? Eisteddfod? Museums? Galleries? Arts? Old buildings? Where should we stop?

The reality is that poverty exists everywhere, esp when measured by the relative poverty. Nearly every famine in the last 80 years or so has occured in s country that made a point of stressing its egalitarian values.

No one can point to any clear benefit of UK being a republic. It's just endless moans and sneering

having lived abroad, have a second home abroad and working all over the world I believe in being integrated and more friendly to people from other countries. it's the job of politicians to do what's best for society not the likes of me. there are people risking their lives crossing the channel with families, parts of the world killing civilians, our own citizens starving and reliant on foodbanks and we have this pomp.

this government ought to be doing better and today really is unfortunate in that it comes at a time when we have a mess.

the disparity in society is very sad and also that nobody seems to be doing anything to address it.
    You have a second home? I bet theres many on here who don't have one. Why don't you give up your second home and give that cash to those who are hungry?

This fits with my suspicion. Most arch republicans are pretty wealthy. Those who are ambivalent know that the debate doesn't matter to their lives. It's a luxury concern

Should we find sport? Eisteddfod? Museums? Galleries? Arts? Old buildings? Where should we stop?

The reality is that poverty exists everywhere, esp when measured by the relative poverty. Nearly every famine in the last 80 years or so has occured in s country that made a point of stressing its egalitarian values.

No one can point to any clear benefit of UK being a republic. It's just endless moans and sneering
    Benefits - put the money and obscene wealth on display to those in genuine need.

The Tories you vote for have tried their best to Slash the arts and culture to the bone

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond View Post
    The poverty that exists is down to some who are a million times more wealthy than the Royal family. Through debts, tax to pay off government debt and corporate ownership and greed, these few take a lot more of our money than do these royals.

However, we have all been programmed to defend them, as I'm sure some will shortly demonstrate.
    This

as we're all on a rant today it seems look at the money being spent on the military last year from the major players around the world . These figures are obscene with so much poverty around the world and don't get me started on the WEF !

Military spend : 2022

China: $291 billion
    India: $66 billion
    Russia: $61 billion
    UK: $55 billion
    France: $51 billion
    Japan: $48 billion
    Germany: $46 billion
    Italy: $33 billion
    Brazil: $20 billion
    Iran: $6 billion

Total: $677 billion

US military spending, 2022: $877 billion

What's the estimated figure of how much that family cost us compared to how much tourism revenue they generate ? - as long as they break even or earn the UK some money - I dont mind that much. What gets my goat are people Duke and Duchess or x and their self entitled elitist attitude - they need to be given the 'French' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    What's the estimated figure of how much that family cost us compared to how much tourism revenue they generate ? - as long as they break even or earn the UK some money - I dont mind that much. What gets my goat are people Duke and Duchess or x and their self entitled elitist attitude - they need to be given the 'French' treatment
    15,000,000 tourists per year visit The Palace of Versailles.

"A clear benefit" of your choosing? If a republic or monarchy is irrelevant to economic stability then you can't use it as a criticism. We spend a lot of public money on events like today. To many of us they're pompous, patronising, condescending, infantilising, have a fantastic lack of self-awareness and maintain a baffling hierarchy. The "king" is not accountable and we can't get rid of him.

Museums, galleries, old buildings etc are seen as a benefit. So if you're going to eschew the economic question, then what cultural benefit does royalty have for the entire country (and not just your own personal taste)?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Tourism revenue wouldnt stop just because we havent got a stupid thing such as a feckin King in this day and age.

May even increase.