+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: These new laws that were used to arrest everyone for any Republic protests

These new laws that were used to arrest everyone for any Republic protests

Will they be used on football fans any time soon?

My guess is yes of course......

Re: These new laws that were used to arrest everyone for any Republic protests

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Will they be used on football fans any time soon?

My guess is yes of course......
    Of course they will be. Labour have already said they won't repeal them, either

Not sure. Football fans have been detained in advance before I am not sure under what guise, but on intelligence they would commit trouble I guess.

This is to largely stop people like Just Stop Oil, and rightly so. Everyone has a right to protest, buy not to close whatever roads they like and bring the country to a halt. I don't have a right to close the M4 because Cardiff Council didn't pick my bins up last Thursday or whatever. Just Stop Oil etc pushed the law, and well.. there are consequences. The law changes.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Everyone has a right to protest.
    Agreed.

Not sure the met police or the government do based on their actions this weekend mind.....

(Totally agree roads shouldn't be blocked etc under any circumstances)

Agreed.

Not sure the met police or the government do based on their actions this weekend mind.....

(Totally agree roads shouldn't be blocked etc under any circumstances)
    So what do the police do if they suspect someone is about to lock themselves to fencing / run on the road etc?

I'd also add, there are people who would literally kill the main people involved in all this. Thst isn't the case for the leader of Republic I am certain of that, but the police cannot fk about. It was probably the most high profile event in the world this week, was front page news globally and the idea the police will sit back and watch is naive in the extreme.

Lots of people did peacefully protest, and good for them. That some were arrested suggests perhaps that they had other ambitions?

I was looking forward to mass disorder on a level of the poll tax riots

Burning police vans

The kids of today have all gone soft

So what do the police do if they suspect someone is about to lock themselves to fencing / run on the road etc?

I'd also add, there are people who would literally kill the main people involved in all this. Thst isn't the case for the leader of Republic I am certain of that, but the police cannot fk about. It was probably the most high profile event in the world this week, was front page news globally and the idea the police will sit back and watch is naive in the extreme.

Lots of people did peacefully protest, and good for them. That some were arrested suggests perhaps that they had other ambitions?
    You can’t arrest people based on ifs and buts. There had been meetings about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I was looking forward to mass disorder on a level of the poll tax riots

Burning police vans

The kids of today have all gone soft
    If you set fire to a police van, then you're a real piece of shit.

If you condone setting fire to a police van, then you're a real piece of shit.

Wonder who you'd be calling if someone filled you in? Ghostbusters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    You can’t arrest people based on ifs and buts. There had been meetings about this.
    You clearly can if you suspect they weren't going to protest peacefully and were hellbent on disorder.

Maybe if we hadn't had a couple of years of people sitting in roads thinking they can do what the hell they like, then the legislation wouldn't have been needed.

Sensible people realise it was needed.

Peaceful protest is good, wilful disruption isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post

Sludgebusters ?

Ladies And Gentlemen

The above post is a political post on behalf of the right wing of the Conservative party

The twats

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Ladies And Gentlemen

The above post is a political post on behalf of the right wing of the Conservative party

The twats
    Guess you haven't seen the Labour position for what they will do re this new law yet.......

I think he was joking , but needs must a la France at the moment

Guess you haven't seen the Labour position for what they will do re this new law yet.......
    Reading this,

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23...eral-election/

I’d say there’s a slight chance that the question posed out of the blue caught Lammy on the hop and he came out with a “holding”, pretty non commital reply. However, I’m probably being too generous there when you consider what Starmer said about student loans - apart from getting the Tories out, I can’t find too many reasons to support his version of the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Of course they will be. Labour have already said they won't repeal them, either
    Of course they won’t, they are all cut from the same cloth

I was actually pro these laws originally. I was sick of seeing activists interfering with the lives of normal people.

But these use of the powers are disgusting if the protests are fair and not intrusive.

It’s not a good sign of things to come

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Reading this,

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23...eral-election/

I’d say there’s a slight chance that the question posed out of the blue caught Lammy on the hop and he came out with a “holding”, pretty non commital reply. However, I’m probably being too generous there when you consider what Starmer said about student loans - apart from getting the Tories out, I can’t find too many reasons to support his version of the party.
    Yes - too generous.

Tell that to the suffragettes.

Suspicion is not guilt. It is not even evidence of likely guilt. Anyone can say they "suspect" someone of something. It is no reason to arrest someone and take away their right to express their views.

Locking yourself to a fence while holding a "not my king" sign. Where is the harm in this? Is this what you class as "disorder"? Do you honestly believe that "suspecting" someone of intending to do this is a reason to infringe their human right to express their views? It is a very slippery slope.

The same right wing press who support your silly and dangerous views condemn Putin's Russia for arresting people who express THEIR view that it IS actually a war. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    Suspicion is not guilt. It is not even evidence of likely guilt. Anyone can say they "suspect" someone of something. It is no reason to arrest someone and take away their right to express their views.

Locking yourself to a fence while holding a "not my king" sign. Where is the harm in this? Is this what you class as "disorder"? Do you honestly believe that "suspecting" someone of intending to do this is a reason to infringe their human right to express their views? It is a very slippery slope.

The same right wing press who support your silly and dangerous views condemn Putin's Russia for arresting people who express THEIR view that it IS actually a war. Bizarre.
    Football coaches in this country have been turned back from matches purely on suspicion of the likelihood of causing a breech of the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Tell that to the suffragettes.
    They were fighting for a right to a voice. We all have a voice. It's profoundly different.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post

You would have to speak to the police about it. Are you saying the police should never intervene if they suspect disorder is imminent?

The comparison is Russia is laughable. The guy has been on TV talking about it. We would never have seen him again in Russia.

You clearly can if you suspect they weren't going to protest peacefully and were hellbent on disorder.

Maybe if we hadn't had a couple of years of people sitting in roads thinking they can do what the hell they like, then the legislation wouldn't have been needed.

Sensible people realise it was needed.

1984 was a work of fiction but we've now gone past that!

You can literally be arrested on suspicion of being about to protest. And people like you are arguing in favour of it!

You are making a point about something else re road blockages. Once someone does that the large majority of the country would support the police doing whatever they need to do to move that person on and that person to then have a significant consequence preventing them doing it again.

Come on you may agree with what the met did and that's fine but don't argue its something else. The met were speaking to the protestors in advance about their plans etc, all was agreed only for the met to turn up at the agreed location and arrest them as they arrived.

Re my OP the police will use this against football fans also. Arrange a rendezvous point in advance etc then hold/arrest people as they arrive. Watch it happen.

I was talking about tory boy's whimpering post , not the labour party position

You would have to speak to the police about it. Are you saying the police should never intervene if they suspect disorder is imminent?

The comparison is Russia is laughable. The guy has been on TV talking about it. We would never have seen him again in Russia.
    "Hmm, that guy is looking a bit shifty with a backpack. No, I cant be suspicious, I'd have to wait for him to explode a bomb".

Plenty of protestors protested with zero problems.

Leaders on one group were nicked. Maybe, just maybe the police had inside intelligence as to what was being planned?