+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: These new laws that were used to arrest everyone for any Republic protests

Re: These new laws that were used to arrest everyone for any Republic protests

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    arrested on no evidence and forced to miss a once I a lifetime event that she'd probably spent a fair bit on attending.
    would she have grounds for some kind of compensation?
    She should really join the protestors next time.

arrested on no evidence and forced to miss a once I a lifetime event that she'd probably spent a fair bit on attending.
    would she have grounds for some kind of compensation?
    Absolutely she willl.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    If you think it won’t be you next, then read this. This arrest at the Coronation is an absolute cracker.

https://twitter.com/steverobson04/st...ZQyp-iO2wYo4Kg
    Disgraceful, this is the closest the UK has been to being a fascist state in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Disgraceful, this is the closest the UK has been to being a fascist state in my lifetime.
    That is absolutely ridiculous.

Because someone stood next to people who very very very likely were there to disrupt the event was held by mistake for a period of time and then released? In fascist states, such people don't get their stories shared on twitter!

For months and months Just Stop Oil have been completely disrupting people's livelihoods and day to day lives with numerous consequences.

It's very unfortunate for this lady and she should explore grounds for recourse. But fascism?

There quite literally are people in this country who would have gladly thrown a bomb at this event. Just Stop Oil are not like that, but the police had an incredibly difficult job. It's amazing how many people don't recognise it, jump on any issue and label it fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    That is absolutely ridiculous.
    We’ve had this conversation before and I still think you’re wrong - what period of your life time better suits the description?

Surprised to see you in this thread again after your previous contributions to it.

Censorship, (and there has been plenty of that ) in whatever form it takes, is always the most obvious and surest indicator of evil at work, and of where that evil resides.

As far as I know nobody has ever censored a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Censorship, (and there has been plenty of that ) in whatever form it takes, is always the most obvious and surest indicator of evil at work, and of where that evil resides.

As far as I know nobody has ever censored a lie.
    of course people have censored lies in the past

of course people have censored lies in the past
    Really, they are normally just ignored or ridiculed.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    If you think it won’t be you next, then read this. This arrest at the Coronation is an absolute cracker.

https://twitter.com/steverobson04/st...ZQyp-iO2wYo4Kg
    Absolutely shocking! An utter disgrace!

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Really, they are normally just ignored or ridiculed.
    pretty much every social media sites have mechanisms for removing unsubstantiated or erroneous information presented as facts.

or to put it another way, censoring lies.

sometimes the lies can be extremely harmful i.e. "MMR vaccines causing autism "

pretty much every social media sites have mechanisms for removing unsubstantiated or erroneous information presented as facts.

or to put it another way, censoring lies.

sometimes the lies can be extremely harmful i.e. "MMR vaccines causing autism "
    Yes I guess you correct on that in respect of social media , but I was referring to the main news platforms and news agencies. They, in the main, have mechanisms that remove content its main financial benefactors don’t want people to see. Free speech as we know it is being censored.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Absolutely shocking! An utter disgrace!
    BBC News - Coronation: Royal fan held for 13 hours after being mistaken for protester
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65567316

We’ve had this conversation before and I still think you’re wrong - what period of your life time better suits the description?

Surprised to see you in this thread again after your previous contributions to it.
    Well, firstly I wouldn't use such language cos I think it's hyperbolic. You could argue that any other govt on earth is either moving towards fascism or Stalinism in that case. It's quite Trumpian way of looking at it. So no, even if I viewed this new law as being such, I wouldn't view any shift to the right as a step to fascism and I don't view the govt taking over Trans Pennine trains as evidence we are on the road to communism either.

That said, to answer the question, I would say that by a country mile the closest we have been was during Covid when the govt successfully kept us indoors, any dissent was not allowed, criticism derided as anti-science, cash was refused in many places and enormous rights were taken away.

So in my lifetime the closest we've been by far was then.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well, firstly I wouldn't use such language cos I think it's hyperbolic. You could argue that any other govt on earth is either moving towards fascism or Stalinism in that case. It's quite Trumpian way of looking at it. So no, even if I viewed this new law as being such, I wouldn't view any shift to the right as a step to fascism and I don't view the govt taking over Trans Pennine trains as evidence we are on the road to communism either.

That said, to answer the question, I would say that by a country mile the closest we have been was during Covid when the govt successfully kept us indoors, any dissent was not allowed, criticism derided as anti-science, cash was refused in many places and enormous rights were taken away.

So in my lifetime the closest we've been by far was then.
    Right, so your answer is the same Government as I nominated, yet it’s “absolutely ridiculous” whenI say it

Right, so your answer is the same Government as I nominated, yet it’s “absolutely ridiculous” whenI say it
    No, I said this: ."So no, even if I viewed this new law as being such, I wouldn't view any shift to the right as a step to fascism and I don't view the govt taking over Trans Pennine trains as evidence we are on the road to communism either."

Also, the rules here were set by the Welsh Govt. So actually, in the hypothetical world where we are heading to fascism, my example is from the Welsh Labour govt and the UK Tory govt.

It is, in my opinion, ridiculous to mention fascism in relation to this story.