+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will Wooller

First Team

Will Wooller

Just reading article in the Guardian that says that he played centre forward for the City.
    Never heard this before as I thought he was a rugby and cricket player of significance ( also says he was a Welsh International at Squash.
    However, how many times did he turn out for us and any idea if he was as good as he was at other sports?

Re: Will Wooller

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Just reading article in the Guardian that says that he played centre forward for the City.
    Never heard this before as I thought he was a rugby and cricket player of significance ( also says he was a Welsh International at Squash.
    However, how many times did he turn out for us and any idea if he was as good as he was at other sports?
    'Wilf'. Think he played wartime as a guest.

First Team

Yes, Wilf.
    Wikipedia seems to confirm that he did turn out and scored a hatrick but that is all it says about his city days.

2 May 1939 Wilf Wooller scored in a 3-2 defeat to Fulham in a benefit match for Billy Hardy

He ruled Sophia Gardens with a rod of iron in the late 60s/early 70s. During the lunch and tea breaks, he’d be pacing the area behind the stand opposite the pavilion making sure we didn’t venture into the nets. Allowed his son to use them though, he wasn’t very good.

Crossed paths playing cricket, quite an unpleasant person. Total snob

50 years ago this July I remember him checking my season ticket during the England v New Zealand odi at Swansea. He was a control freak. Can’t believe it’s 50 years since watching my heroes at St Helens. Fantastic 100 that day from Dennis Amiss. One of my favourite days ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    50 years ago this July I remember him checking my season ticket during the England v New Zealand odi at Swansea. He was a control freak. Can’t believe it’s 50 years since watching my heroes at St Helens. Fantastic 100 that day from Dennis Amiss. One of my favourite days ever.
    I remember him falling out with all rounder Jim Pressdee who took a short cut through the office to the changing rooms.
    Wooller said he would never set foot in ninian park after rugby league was played there,he wasn't missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I thought that name sounded familiar, there is a road named Will Woller , and always thought it was a strange one. Never looked it up till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    My main memory of that game now is that there seemed to be a crowd invasion every five minutes as the game neared its end.

As for Wilf Wooller, from what I can gather he was an autocratic leader at Glamorgan and people who played under him during that time always seem to be trying to find diplomatic ways of describing him yet still the message comes through that he could be a bastard at times.

From what I can remember of the Springboks rugby tour of 1970, he was also one of those freedom loving hypocrites you see such a lot of these days - on the one hand, the South Africans should have been free to come here to play just like anyone else because "politics and sport shouldn't mix" and on the other people who wanted to demonstrate against the tour should be arrested and locked up.