+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gdańsk, what a city

Gdańsk, what a city

Stunning, similar to Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Krakow is the main destination for many Brits but it’s not in the same league at Gdańsk or Wroclaw.

Stunning waterfront & architecture, 100s of bars & restaurants in a small area & great location.

Thoroughly recommend it for a City break.

Re: Gdańsk, what a city

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Stunning, similar to Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Krakow is the main destination for many Brits but it’s not in the same league at Gdańsk or Wroclaw.

Stunning waterfront & architecture, 100s of bars & restaurants in a small area & great location.

What's the beer like? Tyskie on tap?

Interesting. Been on my list for a City break for a while. My only real experience of Poland is when I worked there back in the mid-90s, mainly in Warsaw. It was still a bit grim back then! (...which, to my horror, I realise is nearly 30 years ago!)

Solidarnosc!

Was lucky enough to attend a conference in Sopot, just along the coast a few years ago. Great pier and seaside feel. As you say, Gdansk itself is a beautiful city and well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    What's the beer like? Tyskie on tap?
    Yes but not a fan.

Have been drinking this on draught this afternoon
    https://www.browar-amber.pl/en/produ...ber-pils-beer/

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Interesting. Been on my list for a City break for a while. My only real experience of Poland is when I worked there back in the mid-90s, mainly in Warsaw. It was still a bit grim back then! (...which, to my horror, I realise is nearly 30 years ago!)
    Having been lucky enough to visit many Polish cities over the last 3 years, Warsaw is catching up but still trying to shake off many historical interferences. Many other cities have returned to their former glory. I didn’t realise that Gdansk was so good. Very typical of Baltic sea ports but presented extremely well.

Going to Sopot on Sunday for the reasons mentioned by Cyril.

I visited the city last year and the Second World War Museum was excellent.

For my part I'm back in Blighty tomorrow after backpacking by road and rail for a thousand through Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.

Interesting 🙂

Poland IMO is a wonderful country, have visited
    Wroclaw
    Poznan
    Warsaw
    Krakow
    missed Gdansk but it was on the radar, a lady who works where I'm at is from near Gdansk and highly recommends a visit there.

Yes but not a fan.

Have been drinking this on draught this afternoon
    https://www.browar-amber.pl/en/produ...ber-pils-beer/
    Cheers Des I'll try and see if I can get some to sample

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I visited the city last year and the Second World War Museum was excellent.

For my part I'm back in Blighty tomorrow after backpacking by road and rail for a thousand through Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.

Interesting ��
    You practicing for the next series of race the World. I watched the original series last week, there’s a leg from Baku to Tashkent then onward to China, which they entered near Almaty. Samarkand looked stunning.

You practicing for the next series of race the World. I watched the original series last week, there’s a leg from Baku to Tashkent then onward to China, which they entered near Almaty. Samarkand looked stunning.
    I don't watch it. Friends have told me about it but it reeks of artifice to me - and probably what travel is not about. I have enormous respect for Simon Reeve though.
    I was in Samarkand in the week and am now at the airport at Almaty and waiting for a 4am flight to Frankfurt.

Unfortunately the drunken Brits have found Gdańsk:(

A group of 10 pissed Scouse/Irish Liverpool fans entered the restaurant we were in and promptly emptied it by their appalling behaviour.

Then I get woken up in the early hours by a drunken rendition of God save big ears