+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City from 1992.

Cardiff City from 1992.

Oh dear.

Re: Cardiff City from 1992.

And we complain about the current City team who would have hammered the 1992 version out of sight, based on the evidence of this clip!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    And we complain about the current City team who would have hammered the 1992 version out of sight, based on the evidence of this clip!
    That was a really bad day for the 91/92 team, they were good to watch especially when Eddie Newton arrived, but I agree the current side would beat them - not by much mind.

Before I saw that video, I would have bet anything that the Williams hand ball was at the Canton end - I was there watching it and can remember all of those Maidstone goals at that end, but I thought it was 0-0 at half time.

My first season watching them

First game was v Carlisle 1-0 win penalty (?mark Jones)

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post

Yes, pretty sure he scored that day.

John Williams was a weird case. Signed by Eddie May, but was clearly way off even our poor quality (at that time), and he only played six games before just disappearing back to Bournemouth. Strangely, Wikipedia has no record of this Cup appearance.

I remember that day, I was in the grandstand. And the enclosures were full of parents that had brought their kids in for free. After the 4th or 5th goal they all walked out along the touchline.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    John Williams was a weird case. Signed by Eddie May, but was clearly way off even our poor quality (at that time), and he only played six games before just disappearing back to Bournemouth. Strangely, Wikipedia has no record of this Cup appearance.
    It wasn’t a cup game, it was played on New Years Day and, from memory, I think we were on quite a long unbeaten run at the time - the crowd was 8,000 which was well above average at the time, it was a classic example of City not performing when a big crowd turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It wasn’t a cup game, it was played on New Years Day and, from memory, I think we were on quite a long unbeaten run at the time - the crowd was 8,000 which was well above average at the time, it was a classic example of City not performing when a big crowd turns up.
    think it was the first day of the junior bluebirds that day as well

I was in the newly opened family enclosure directly below the Maidstone fans, I will never forget their chant of "Not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 Maidstone are winning and we gonna score more" which they did.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    Yes, that rings a bell with me.

Regarding our form going into the game, we’d gone eight games unbeaten, then went eight more unbeaten after it, so it was our only loss in seventeen matches - given when the game was played, there were the usual stories about players suffering after the previous nights piss up, but maybe there was some truth in it this time?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, that rings a bell with me.

Regarding our form going into the game, we’d gone eight games unbeaten, then went eight more unbeaten after it, so it was our only loss in seventeen matches - given when the game was played, there were the usual stories about players suffering after the previous nights piss up, but maybe there was some truth in it this time?
    yep they seemed a bit pissed

We were awful that day. Thanks for reminding me Bob.😀

Snap- my first game too.. Think the penalty was retaken? A crowd of 4096 sticks in my mind although I haven't looked that up.

Terrible atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Snap- my first game too.. Think the penalty was retaken? A crowd of 4096 sticks in my mind although I haven't looked that up.
    Very impressive! You’ve got the attendance figure right- the game was played on 31/8/91

Didn't Neil Mathews screw up leaving John Williams on the line with no choice but to handle the ball ?

For which he was sent off ?

John Williams
    he is ace
    big bastard with an ugly face

we were bad that day, still, I'd go back and watch it all again as football was far more enjoyable then

I woke up with a stinking hangover that day. I certainly didn't feel any better after 90 mins of that sh*te.

Would you though?
    I wonder if it was because you were maybe in your late teens like myself and life experience was different and exciting.
    Going to watch that as a 49 year old may not be so enjoyable

Would you though?
    I wonder if it was because you were maybe in your late teens like myself and life experience was different and exciting.
    For me football is football. I enjoy cymru premier or national league games more than most championship games.

I don't mind watching man City now and then for top quality but below that it doesn't bother me.

The Championship is good fun, but the entertainment value is horrific (in my view). If we were in the national league I honestly don't see how games could be duller than say that 1st half v wigan was?

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    I think it was also the first day the seats were used in the enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I think it was also the first day the seats were used in the enclosure

Would you though?
    you're probably right, I do need to take off the rose tinted spectacles at times

I think that was the day Rick Wright attended a home match shortly after he became owner. I recall him walking in front of the enclosure throwing chocolate bars to the crowd. The problem was the chocolate was 2 years out of date and inedible and must have been left overs from his holiday park at Barry Island formerly the Butlins camp. That was the first and last time my son went to a football match and he even had his picture on the front page of the echo.