+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brighton

Brighton

To think that they just survived instead of us but what they have done since on and off the field is amazing. Our club could learn a lot from the way their owners transformed their club .

Re: Brighton

They'll probably get relegated next year.

Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford...
    all "little"clubs compared to our potential.
    Why do we keep getting shitty owners?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I wonder if a part of that is down to us being "sleeping giants", that we lure owners here who think they'll make a fortune?

Brighton deserve some success

They really were put through the mixer with that owner and had all those years at the withdean

It's good to see clubs like that sticking one up the glory clubs

The same club that had 5 put past them at home, by a team in serious relegation trouble. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    The same club that had 5 put past them at home, by a team in serious relegation trouble. Amazing.
    Yes that's them, we might have stayed up instead of them but whilst they are 6th in Premier league ,play attractive football and have a great recruitment team ,we have just drifted to the bottom end of championship , are awful to watch and have our transfer committee....so I see where you are coming from

4 or 5 seasons ago it was all talk of how good a club Southampton were - scouting, recruitment, academy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    4 or 5 seasons ago it was all talk of how good a club Southampton were - scouting, recruitment, academy etc.
    Southampton’s new owners brought about a change of direction in 2022 and they’ve gone backwards at a rate of knots.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    They've each found a way that works for them. Eg Brentford scrapped their academy and I don't know how popular that would be if we did that here? (Insert joke re we never see the end products anyway etc....) but for them in London there was no point as Chelsea or arsenal or whoever would just come and nick their players for free at 15.

As has been said a million times we have a large area for development of players and no premier league clubs anywhere near us (who's our closest? Wolves?) so I do think Sam hammam was on the right lines with the youth development emphasis. We produced some club legends in that era also. That's what I'd like to see city do but we shall see........

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Yes that's them, we might have stayed up instead of them but whilst they are 6th in Premier league ,play attractive football and have a great recruitment team ,we have just drifted to the bottom end of championship , are awful to watch and have our transfer committee....so I see where you are coming from
    I'd take being smashed 5-1 at home by a relegation haunted side now and again if....
    A) my club was challenging for a European place at the business end of the season
    B) the club was receiving plaudits because they are such a good team and...
    C) the club wasn't under a season long transfer embargo and drifting without a life raft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'd take being smashed 5-1 at home by a relegation haunted side now and again if....
    A) my club was challenging for a European place at the business end of the season
    B) the club was receiving plaudits because they are such a good team and...
    C) the club wasn't under a season long transfer embargo and drifting without a life raft.
    d) my club played entertaining football once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    They'll probably get relegated next year.
    They probably will eventually, as will Brentford, Bournemouth, Palace, Leicester etc.etc but they all have/had a plan designed to give them their best chance of survival and reaping the benefits continued time in the Premier League can bring - what they didn't have was a frame of mind that it was a "miracle" that plucky little ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, were playing Premier League football.

The smaller clubs have very little chance for long term success as many of their decent players will be poached by the so called bigger clubs. The chances of players like McCallister and Mitoma remaining at Brighton next season are slight so they are likely to struggle to remain in the Premier League. I can't see Toney staying at Brentford either as long as his of field issues prevent him from getting a lucrative move.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    d) my club played entertaining football once in a while.
    Oh yes, I forgot that: it's a pipe dream!