+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

over breaches of the FA's betting rules.

Re: Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

That seems wholey unfair when he hasn't (apparently) bet against his own teams.

If he was genuinely just having a flutter with no impact on the games in question, then 8 months seems OTT

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    over breaches of the FA's betting rules.
    What were the odds on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Considering Trippier got 10 weeks for telling family and friends he was moving to Madrid, seems on par!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    8/12

Black lives don't matter - bet Harry Kane wouldn't have got eight month ban if in same position.

Ivan Toney's ban explained on Sky ...

https://youtu.be/IFjEnRaqkSI

StT.
    <><

Football has sold its soul to gambling companies and then gets surprised when players bet. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Football has sold its soul to gambling companies and then gets surprised when players bet. Incredible.
    Quite.

Should be trying to help the guy if hes got a gambling addiction, not punishing him.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Quite.

Should be trying to help the guy if hes got a gambling addiction, not punishing him.
    Agreed. Brentford are funded by a gambler, sponsored by a gambler and got promoted out of the league sponsored by a gambling company and banned by an organisation that until very recently had an official gambling partner.

There is no indication Toney was match fixing, either.

The irony is that all the warnings about gambling awareness, and 'when the fun stops, stop' are tagged on the end of gambling adverts. If they were serious about tackling addiction, there wouldn't be any ads in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The irony is that all the warnings about gambling awareness, and 'when the fun stops, stop' are tagged on the end of gambling adverts. If they were serious about tackling addiction, there wouldn't be any ads in the first place.

Best bit is they say, there's no proof in an increase in gambling. Why advertise then?

Does seem very harsh.

I must say I have never ever placed a bet in all my 75 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Does seem very harsh.

I must say I have never ever placed a bet in all my 75 years!!!
    What are the odds on that?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    That seems wholey unfair when he hasn't (apparently) bet against his own teams.

If he was genuinely just having a flutter with no impact on the games in question, then 8 months seems OTT
    I guess the concern is that football is such a tight knit sport with everyone knowing everyone. It wouldn’t be too hard to fix it with your mate in a different league (or even a different country) to get sent off, concede a goal, force X amount of corners, etc.

Toney’s been at 8 clubs in all 4 divisions. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s got a few League 2 mates willing to take a cut from any profits.

Does he get paid while suspended?

I feel bad for him. This happened when he was mostly a lower division player. He can't have known how his career would change, banging in goals in the premier league, had a world cup spot in his hands. Every chance of a move to a big club and champions League football.

But because of things he did years ago, possibly none of those will ever happen. A sliding doors moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Agreed. Brentford are funded by a gambler, sponsored by a gambler and got promoted out of the league sponsored by a gambling company and banned by an organisation that until very recently had an official gambling partner.

There is no indication Toney was match fixing, either.
    Its pathetic. I hope he wins the appeal. Him and Brentford surely appeal.

It would be interesting to know what he was betting on. If he's betting accas etc then I don't see the problem. If he was betting for the ball to go out in the first 10 seconds then we would probably know about it.