+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: Middlesbrough 0 - 1. (Coventry win 1 - 0 on agg)

FT: Middlesbrough 0 - 1. (Coventry win 1 - 0 on agg)

57th min

Boro 0 - 1 Cov

Agg 0-1

Re: Cov go 1 up

Superb finish.

Guaranteed dream promotion for either of the 2 finalists, considering what’s happened to both clubs in recent yrs.
    I’ll opt for Cov, only because they are the other CCFC .

I hope Luton do it

Very limited resources but hopefully can really piss off the big boys like Brentford and Bournemouth have

What a strange team Luton are. Seems not long ago that they dropped out of the league and were struggling to get back in. Now only one game away from the top level. Smallish town, dodgy ground - how do they do it?.

Bet you would have got good money on one of those getting promoted at the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Bet you would have got good money on one of those getting promoted at the start of the season.
    Luton were 8/1 and Coventry 9/1. The bookies expected them to finish 11th and 12th.

Burnley were 12/1 for the title and 4/1 for promotion. They were expected to finish 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Luton were 8/1 and Coventry 9/1. The bookies expected them to finish 11th and 12th.

Burnley were 12/1 for the title and 4/1 for promotion. They were expected to finish 6th.
    Where were Cardiff expected to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Where were Cardiff expected to finish?
    The bookies said 16th. The Racing Post’s EFL tipster said 18th.

Who were favourites? Norwich? West brom?

That is one good thing about the Championship whereas the Premier league is incredibly easy to predict.

Less than I tonight actually lol.

A Play Off Final between Luton and Coventry tells the rest of the Championship that, with the right people at the top and a sensible plan in place, there's no reason why you can't make it to the Premier ;League - I wonder if anyone at City is lisening?

A strength, and weakness, of the Championship is that so many of the sides are much of a muchness. I've heard Neil Warnock and Nathan Blake say that City winning their first five matches in 17/18almost guaranteed that we would be right up there challenging that season because of the momentum and feelgood factor that start generated. A positive mentality can take you an awful long way in the Championship and, from a City perspective, it's possible that next season could turn out to be a lot better than most expect if the team can generate a bit of winning momentum.

Obviously, we've got to come from further back than most and our serially poor home form presents a big challenge for any new manager and squad, but, in a which was widely criticised this season for its lack of quality, I reckon there was never a huge difference between many of the teams at the bottom and sides like Blackburn, Millwall and Preston who all entertained serious hopes of playing in the Premier League next season for much of the campaign - their superiority was mainly down to attitude in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A Play Off Final between Luton and Coventry tells the rest of the Championship that, with the right people at the top and a sensible plan in place, there's no reason why you can't make it to the Premier ;League - I wonder if anyone at City is lisening?

A strength, and weakness, of the Championship is that so many of the sides are much of a muchness. I've heard Neil Warnock and Nathan Blake say that City winning their first five matches in 17/18almost guaranteed that we would be right up there challenging that season because of the momentum and feelgood factor that start generated. A positive mentality can take you an awful long way in the Championship and, from a City perspective, it's possible that next season could turn out to be a lot better than most expect if the team can generate a bit of winning momentum.

Obviously, we've got to come from further back than most and our serially poor home form presents a big challenge for any new manager and squad, but, in a which was widely criticised this season for its lack of quality, I reckon there was never a huge difference between many of the teams at the bottom and sides like Blackburn, Millwall and Preston who all entertained serious hopes of playing in the Premier League next season for much of the campaign - their superiority was mainly down to attitude in my opinion.
    Think this is also the case in Malky's promotion year. The team would come steaming out of the blocks in those early home games, didn't we win our first ten?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    Think this is also the case in Malky's promotion year. The team would come steaming out of the blocks in those early home games, didn't we win our first ten?
    Yes, I think you're right - Peterborough, near the bottom of the table at the time, were the first club to take points from us at Cardiff City Stadium that season and the game was played about ten days before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

If Coventry manage to win the playoffs, what an achievement that will be from Mark Robins, unbelievable really.
    He’s operated with a whip around rather than a budget in comparison to lots of teams in the Championship

What we’d give to have a manager like that

Really hope Coventry go up…..never really liked Luton, great story for both clubs mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

That is one good thing about the Championship whereas the Premier league is incredibly easy to predict.
    I’m in the office now so haven’t got access to the RP pre-season guide, but I think it was Norwich and West Brom.

You say the Premier League is easy to predict. Well, Man City were favourites, but Arsenal were a 50/1 shot and expected to finish 6th. Meanwhile, it looks likely (but not yet certain) that none of the favourites for relegation will go down.

I’m intending to do a post covering all the divisions once the season has ended, but here’s an interesting one for you: the favourites in the National League, the National League North and the National League South all won their divisions, so maybe non-league football is easier to predict than the EFL at present.

I’m in the office now so haven’t got access to the RP pre-season guide, but I think it was Norwich and West Brom.

You say the Premier League is easy to predict. Well, Man City were favourites, but Arsenal were a 50/1 shot and expected to finish 6th. Meanwhile, it looks likely (but not yet certain) that none of the favourites for relegation will go down.

I’m intending to do a post covering all the divisions once the season has ended, but here’s an interesting one for you: the favourites in the National League, the National League North and the National League South all won their divisions, so maybe non-league football is easier to predict than the EFL at present.
    Non-league is massively skewed by the professional sides. Wrexham and Notts County have some serious cash behind them. Fylde and Ebbsfleet do as well, and they're full time. Training on Tuesday and Thursday evenings after a full day's work is obviously different to doing it full time, as well as the rest you get.

In the Northern Premier (where Kevin Phillips has just left), South Shields won the league, the owner is pouring money in, and are full time the 7th tier. It is mental. Phillips has been replaced by Julio Area.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Back home now and in fact the the top two in the betting were Norwich and Watford.

The average pre-season prices with the big bookies were:

5/1 - Norwich
    7/1 - Watford
    9/1 - West Brom
    10/1 - Middlesbrough
    10/1 - Sheffield United
    12/1 - Burnley

As for the Premier League being incredibly easy to predict, Man City were indeed odds-on favourites, but a Man City / Arsenal straight forecast was available at 33/1.

Arsenal were not expected to do so well back in pre-season. The best prices available were:

8/13 - Manchester City
    11/4 - Liverpool
    14/1 - Tottenham
    16/1 - Chelsea
    33/1 - Manchester United
    50/1 - Arsenal

The Racing Post do a section where their top six football writers are asked the same eight questions. One of those questions was: Which of the Big 6 clubs will miss out on the top four? All six pundits chose Arsenal and Manchester United.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    If Coventry manage to win the playoffs, what an achievement that will be from Mark Robins, unbelievable really.
    He’s operated with a whip around rather than a budget in comparison to lots of teams in the Championship

What we’d give to have a manager like that
    Shows what backing a Manager can do for a club. He has been in post for 6 YEARS. Years of chaos off the field when they didn't know where they would play their home games at times.

Give a competent Manager time and they will build a successful team, especially if the players know the Manager will be there long after they are gone. Coventry Directors deserve some credit for this.
    Last edited by Albany; 18-05-23 at 16:48. Reason: spelling