+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Manics

Re: The Manics

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I lived in Oxford when it was all kicking off

205 cowley road , 5 minutes walk from the Venue where they all played

Saw Radiohead there who I thought were boring
    Wouldn’t it be easier to list the cities in the UK that you haven’t lived?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Wouldn’t it be easier to list the cities in the UK that you haven’t lived?
    If you like

Newport

Newport
    I doubt you'd last 2 minutes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Hardly weak, Swervedriver were excellent...

I like Swervedriver. I don't really consider them to be a shoegaze band though. I don't really think MBV are shoegaze either.

"I eat too much to die and not enough to stay alive. I'm sitting in the middle waiting."

Hope Richie is resting in peace somewhere wherever he is

Lush had that half Japanese female guitarist and singer ?

I liked Curve , in small doses
    Miki Berenyi. She recently did a collaboration with the fantastic Fashion Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Miki Berenyi. She recently did a collaboration with the fantastic Fashion Weak.
    That's her

Emma Anderson on other guitars ?

I think the drummer or bassist killed himself and they split up ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't really think MBV are shoegaze either.
    Loveless is the genre defining shoegaze album.

Loveless is the genre defining shoegaze album.
    It's the best album of that era. But to me, it's not shoegaze. Kevin Shields is a genius. He had a vision and he wasn't shuffling around around looking at his pedals. Isn't Anything and especially Loveless are wall-of-sound, full-on sonic attacks. Massive drums and loads of guitar tracks. Imagine if it was a bloke singing and not Bilinda Butcher. No one would even consider it shoegaze. As far as I know, no one called it shoegaze at the time. That was reserved for the London and Home Counties bands and "the scene that celebrates itself" as Melody Maker called it.

It's the best album of that era. But to me, it's not shoegaze. Kevin Shields is a genius. He had a vision and he wasn't shuffling around around looking at his pedals. Isn't Anything and especially Loveless are wall-of-sound, full-on sonic attacks. Massive drums and loads of guitar tracks. Imagine if it was a bloke singing and not Bilinda Butcher. No one would even consider it shoegaze. As far as I know, no one called it shoegaze at the time. That was reserved for the London and Home Counties bands and "the scene that celebrates itself" as Melody Maker called it.
    You are on your own here then. Nothing wrong with that as it's only a generally accepted label. This video traces the path to shoegaze and it's backed up in the comments by a member of the Pale Saints. Funnily enough, I like most of these bands including the wall of sound stuff and Husker Du.

Before Loveless: How Shoegaze Became Shoegaze

You are on your own here then. Nothing wrong with that as it's only a generally accepted label. This video traces the path to shoegaze and it's backed up in the comments by a member of the Pale Saints. Funnily enough, I like most of these bands including the wall of sound stuff and Husker Du.

Before Loveless: How Shoegaze Became Shoegaze
    Swervedriver actually remind me of Husker Du a little bit.

I can dig heavier stuff like MBV and the guitar festivals of Spacemen 3 and Spiritualised

But the namby pamby indie lite stuff can naff off

I can dig heavier stuff like MBV and the guitar festivals of Spacemen 3 and Spiritualised

But the namby pamby indie lite stuff can naff off
    MBV were the loudest band I've ever seen live. Loveless is fantastic.

Spiritualised & Spacemen 3 also excellent.

The Jesus and Mary Chain reign supreme from the genre, of course. I am partial to the Wedding Present.. Ear piercing.

I think all had some energy, noise and authenticity that others didn't have. I probably wouldn't call them shoegaze.

Sludge ia right though, many of the later so called shoegaze bands were just awful and on par with all those awful britpop nonsense bands. One or two crept through with some great tunes and proper heavy guitar and booming bass, but so many were 'meh'.

Not shoegaze, but a special mention to 'James' .. Wonderful live and the later stuff really plays well live. 'Curse curse' is a very funny and uplifting tune.

Ill be travelling and will miss Queens of the Stone Age next month in Cardiff castle.. Great live band.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

The Jesus and Mary Chain reign supreme from the genre, of course. I am partial to the Wedding Present.. Ear piercing.

I think all had some energy, noise and authenticity that others didn't have. I probably wouldn't call them shoegaze.

Sludge ia right though, many of the later so called shoegaze bands were just awful and on par with all those awful britpop nonsense bands. One or two crept through with some great tunes and proper heavy guitar and booming bass, but so many were 'meh'.

Not shoegaze, but a special mention to 'James' .. Wonderful live and the later stuff really plays well live. 'Curse curse' is a very funny and uplifting tune.

Ill be travelling and will miss Queens of the Stone Age next month in Cardiff castle.. Great live band.
    I saw James with a live orchestra back in April, in the St Davids Hall - wonderful experience. Also going to QOTSA in the castle, I am very much looking forward to that!

QOTSA were fantastic in their early days , first album is immense

Kyuss , Fu Manchu , Nebula are other decent stoner rock bands

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    I saw James with a live orchestra back in April, in the St Davids Hall - wonderful experience. Also going to QOTSA in the castle, I am very much looking forward to that!
    QOTSA yes

The JAMC are nowhere near shoegaze.

They were certainly heavy on the over drive

An indie band that were a rock band but didn't want to admit it

They couldn't be if Loveless was also nowhere near shoegaze

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    Yeah my brother went to that and said it was fantastic.

I was travelling for work and missed it.

They couldn't be if Loveless was also nowhere near shoegaze
    Shoegaze didn't exist in 1985.

I saw a top 5 "essential" shoegaze records recently and the Cocteau Twins were in it. 1982. Shoegaze?

Shoegaze didn't exist in 1985.

I saw a top 5 "essential" shoegaze records recently and the Cocteau Twins were in it. 1982. Shoegaze?
    Genre: a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content.

Nicky Wire is a soppy spurs fan

The drummer , Liverpool
    Dunno what you're moaning about ....that's about as Welsh as you get.

People who follow Welsh football teams is probably a small minority of the overall football following population in our country.

Same as people who vote for english political parties, watch english tv and read english newspapers.

I'd echo some of the sentiments on here regarding how successful they have been whilst maintaining substance in terms of the songs' messages.

Desgin for Life live , back when it was fresh is stirring to say the least.

Genre: a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content.
    In hindsight. Are you saying the JAMC and the Cocteau Twins are shoegaze bands?

In hindsight. Are you saying the JAMC and the Cocteau Twins are shoegaze bands?
    It's self-explanatory, categories are organised by style, form or content.