+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The manager situation - one thing's become clear now.

International

Re: The manager situation - one thing's become clear now.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Most reports at the time claimed (based on club press briefings) that we lost between £5m and £8.5m on the Cornelius signing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...f-malky-mackay
    Apparently, Malky went to see David Moyes and their setup at Everton, and he tipped Cornelius.

I think Cornelius and Sala have frightened Tan to death and made it hard for any future Manager.

International

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Tan will have you believe that there are at least 6 really good managers in discussions before finally appointing Bamba who states “we already have a very good squad capable of a top half finish”
    Bamba will then lose his job around Christmas with City in the relegation 3 about 4 points from safety
    That will defo happen if we give it to Bamba, this is not an easy job at all, this is a pivotal moment.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We do TRY AND apply continuity and did with, Hudson , Morison and now potentially Bamba . Huge mistake with sacking Morison he was half decent got let down by lack not getting striker and telling players they underachieving.

Lamouchi probably wanted too much ,and the 'I want to stay ' was the usually manager bullshit speak .

Half decent yet not in with a sniff of any other jobs. Applied for Oxford and rejected.

The manager is part of the Transfer Committee (unless the 'so called Transfer Committee' is something different?).

The manager (when we have one) works with the scouting and recruitment team (who are doing a good job - especially with loans and Academy recruitment, and not bad with the First Team given the financial constraints).

The Transfer Committee assesses the proposals put forward by the recruitment team (manager input in both stages).

Then Vincent Tan decides.
    A transfer committee and then the owner deciding is not a bad thing. Players have greater longevity than managers and coaches and why shouldn't the bloke who is investing millions into the club have a say about squad size and question whether or not we need yet another right back when we can't score goals (for example). I'd qualify this by saying this is not a defence of Tan just owners of a football club. Billionaires don't become so by winning the lottery and the level of corruption in football is ginormous.

The problem is that we have no continuity of style or ethos running through the club and no director of football/recruitment with any semi-permanence.

I also don't get the Academy signings. We seem to sign 3-4 rejects (aged 19-21) for similar status clubs every year that prove to be a total waste of time. Denham is the only one who is offering to be a long term player (and he came from Man Utd with some pedigree). Benjamin and Antwi were tidy players, but are never going to be 1st teamers. These two are nowhere near the same level of King and Denham. Conte and Leahy this season blocked the pathway for Caleb Hughes, one of the most talented kids to come out of the U18's over recent years. He did have some injuries, but when fit he didn't see much game time.

Most reports at the time claimed (based on club press briefings) that we lost between £5m and £8.5m on the Cornelius signing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...f-malky-mackay
    Ouch!
    Although i'd take some of those quotes with a pinch of salt given the need to throw Malky under the bus and praising Ole transfer deals. TransferMarket has it as 8.7m in and 3.5m out so with all other fee's, agents cut etc I suppose it could be closer to 8.5m than 5m.

Copenhagen the only real winners

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    A transfer committee and then the owner deciding is not a bad thing. Players have greater longevity than managers and coaches and why shouldn't the bloke who is investing millions into the club have a say about squad size and question whether or not we need yet another right back when we can't score goals (for example). I'd qualify this by saying this is not a defence of Tan just owners of a football club. Billionaires don't become so by winning the lottery and the level of corruption in football is ginormous.

The problem is that we have no continuity of style or ethos running through the club and no director of football/recruitment with any semi-permanence.

I also don't get the Academy signings. We seem to sign 3-4 rejects (aged 19-21) for similar status clubs every year that prove to be a total waste of time. Denham is the only one who is offering to be a long term player (and he came from Man Utd with some pedigree). Benjamin and Antwi were tidy players, but are never going to be 1st teamers. These two are nowhere near the same level of King and Denham. Conte and Leahy this season blocked the pathway for Caleb Hughes, one of the most talented kids to come out of the U18's over recent years. He did have some injuries, but when fit he didn't see much game time.
    Agree on this, the signings of Antwi and Conte seem particularly bizarre. Antwi is 21 and deemed not good enough by Blackpool, Conte is 20 and wasn't good enough for QPR. Benjamin to me is a signing that makes more sense. He was 18 when he signed and has some pedigree by coming from Fulham (who have a good academy)

What's particularly strange is that we bring in other clubs' youngsters, who are often older and look worse or no better than our own, and give them more opportunities than u21 players we've developed!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Agree on this, the signings of Antwi and Conte seem particularly bizarre. Antwi is 21 and deemed not good enough by Blackpool, Conte is 20 and wasn't good enough for QPR. Benjamin to me is a signing that makes more sense. He was 18 when he signed and has some pedigree by coming from Fulham (who have a good academy)

What's particularly strange is that we bring in other clubs' youngsters, who are often older and look worse or no better than our own, and give them more opportunities than u21 players we've developed!
    I maybe wrong but wasn’t it said that Anti and Conte were brought in more to make up the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I thought Antwi got better as the season went on and the notion of him playing for the first team did not seem daft at times. However, you're right to mention his age and I agree completely with you and Adrian Alston's point about the sort of signings we make for the under 21 team.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I maybe wrong but wasn’t it said that Anti and Conte were brought in more to make up the numbers
    Antwi in particular played a lot of football for someone brought in to make up the numbers

My, very long, take on the situation at City.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought Antwi got better as the season went on and the notion of him playing for the first team did not seem daft at times. However, you're right to mention his age and I agree completely with you and Adrian Alston's point about the sort of signings we make for the under 21 team.
    Agree, but then he is not as good as Eli King and will not be as good as Joel Colwill or Owen Prichard (who may end up as a right back. The point is that he and the others were totally pointless signings; used up financial resources, not potential 1st team players and blocked the progress more talented, younger home produced players (which in turn hinders local academy recruitment).

I can't but help that at best they were agent sweetners, and at worst - well it does not need to be said ...

A good read (as always), thank you.

Now, get on with another book.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    A good read (as always), thank you.

Now, get on with another book.

I've always thought that what galvanized the club under initially Hammam's 'ownership' 22 yrs ago was the general sense of excitement. Things were happening, players and manager and coaches all seemed to be caught up in it. We, the fans felt the club had finally awoken after nearly 30 years of dejection. It's not just results, it's whether there's expectation, hope, and a board that recognizes that it's crucial to keep their [fickle] supporters on board.
    It's the 'treading water' bit with me - Tan et al just going through the motions. Choo and Dalman have no real affinity to the club, nor has Tan now, they seem almost embarrassed by it. The Sala accident has been a personal tragedy and a business one, but the club can't move on until it's resolved. at the moment I think Tan sees this as his over-riding project, not the club, and whilst would wish the club to be a Championship club when he sells, it probably doesn't bother him as much as cutting costs.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've always thought that what galvanized the club under initially Hammam's 'ownership' 22 yrs ago was the general sense of excitement. Things were happening, players and manager and coaches all seemed to be caught up in it. We, the fans felt the club had finally awoken after nearly 30 years of dejection. It's not just results, it's whether there's expectation, hope, and a board that recognizes that it's crucial to keep their [fickle] supporters on board.
    It's the 'treading water' bit with me - Tan et al just going through the motions. Choo and Dalman have no real affinity to the club, nor has Tan now, they seem almost embarrassed by it. The Sala accident has been a personal tragedy and a business one, but the club can't move on until it's resolved. at the moment I think Tan sees this as his over-riding project, not the club, and whilst would wish the club to be a Championship club when he sells, it probably doesn't bother him as much as cutting costs.
    Good post. Tan is acting like someone who isn't bothered about relegation, but I don't get that - the amount he gets for the club if he sells has to be reduced pretty dramatically if we're in League One.

Good post. Tan is acting like someone who isn't bothered about relegation, but I don't get that - the amount he gets for the club if he sells has to be reduced pretty dramatically if we're in League One.
    Who knows what's happening. Selling Kortrijk with the rumours of adding value to CCFC could point to him getting out of football altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Who knows what's happening. Selling Kortrijk with the rumours of adding value to CCFC could point to him getting out of football altogether.
    I hope he gets out as soon as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    I’d definitely agree you were on to something if it were not for the Sala case. We’ve seen one or two examples of what Tan is like when he thinks he’s been wronged over the last thirteen years - he’s like a dog with a bone. The words”in it for the long haul” were used to describe the club’s attitude to the Sala case by someone who was at the meeting Mehmet Dalman had with the supporters’ groups after the Huddersfield match and that just sounded right to me.

I asked about why City needed £13 million cash (as reported in that Wales Online article) because it occurred to me that must be about what is owed to Nantes now if you add the interest we seem to be liable for, but I just don’t see that being the reason Tan is selling Kortrijk and I’d be amazed if anyone would be willing to buy us while the Sala situation remains unresolved.

First Team

I’d be amazed if anyone would be willing to buy us while the Sala situation remains unresolved.
    I think this is the most salient fact around what is currently going on. The club's worth is almost impossible to estimate with the Sala litigation ongoing. There is a potential liability running into probably GBP 15-20M given the interest etc. Then there is the potential upside if Tan wins the case against Nantes which might run up to GBP 100M. It seems to me Tan's orders are to do just sufficient to keep the club viable while the various legal cases are ongoing. What that seems to mean is doing just (as Tan sees it) enough to try to keep it in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I think this is the most salient fact around what is currently going on. The club's worth is almost impossible to estimate with the Sala litigation ongoing. There is a potential liability running into probably GBP 15-20M given the interest etc. Then there is the potential upside if Tan wins the case against Nantes which might run up to GBP 100M. It seems to me Tan's orders are to do just sufficient to keep the club viable while the various legal cases are ongoing. What that seems to mean is doing just (as Tan sees it) enough to try to keep it in the Championship.
    Your theory sounds right to me. It could very well be Tan is playing the litigation roulette game in the hope of receiving a swift £100 million. Cardiff City's fortunes appear further down his list of priorities. One hopes if he wins we'll see the back of him fairly quickly.

If Tan seriously thinks hes going to be awarded 10p let alone £100m he must be seriously bonkers.

What a feckin joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If Tan seriously thinks hes going to be awarded 10p let alone £100m he must be seriously bonkers.

What a feckin joke.
    I think you might be on to something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Your theory sounds right to me. It could very well be Tan is playing the litigation roulette game in the hope of receiving a swift £100 million. Cardiff City's fortunes appear further down his list of priorities. One hopes if he wins we'll see the back of him fairly quickly.
    More chance of £100million doing the EuroMillions lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    except that in terms of the club's value, relegation wouldn't necessarily make much difference. You're right though, he'll hang on to the club until one way or the other the Sala saga is over, especially now he's looking for £100m

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    except that in terms of the club's value, relegation wouldn't necessarily make much difference. You're right though, he'll hang on to the club until one way or the other the Sala saga is over, especially now he's looking for £100m
    We'd have lower revenue and our playing assets would drop in value alongside no longer being sold as a Championship club one good year from the PL. I imagine that would hurt the club's value