+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Racecourse gets a name change

The Racecourse gets a name change

New sponsorship Stōk Cold Brew have made an agreement to rename the ground to “The Stōk Racecourse”

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65696511

From a quick look on social media it seems to be quite a polarising move. I’m personally not a fan of sponsored stadium names and think it’s a very American thing bar a handful of exceptions. I’m glad they’ve not removed the Racecourse name entirely though.

As far as I can tell the product isn’t sold in the UK, so it highlights how much the American market is influencing things up North.

Re: The Racecourse gets a name change

Wrexham Lager

There when it mattered

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    New sponsorship Stōk Cold Brew have made an agreement to rename the ground to “The Stōk Racecourse”

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65696511

From a quick look on social media it seems to be quite a polarising move. I’m personally not a fan of sponsored stadium names and think it’s a very American thing bar a handful of exceptions. I’m glad they’ve not removed the Racecourse name entirely though.

As far as I can tell the product isn’t sold in the UK, so it highlights how much the American market is influencing things up North.
    Unless I’m missing something here they’ve surely lost the plot.

How many Americans are going to be watching Wrexham v Walsall when Wrexham are 10th in the league?

I hope it’s not pronounced Stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    I hope it’s not pronounced Stoke.
    it is

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    it is
    Oof!

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

How many Americans are going to be watching Wrexham v Walsall when Wrexham are 10th in the league?
    Even if they struggle next season, which they probably won’t, they’ve captured the American bandwagon audience for at least a year.

With 7th being a play off spot, even in a mediocre season they’ll still be in with a shot of getting something until the final few weeks. I think the Americans are here to stay for a few more years.

League 1 is where I think interest will wane. The magic and novelty of chasing promotion will have worn off and a few years of mid table nothingness will drive away all but the most dedicated international fans.

It’s telling though how important the American market is to their success that they’ve got a sponsorship that doesn’t sell their product in the UK.

Even if they struggle next season, which they probably won’t, they’ve captured the American bandwagon audience for at least a year.

With 7th being a play off spot, even in a mediocre season they’ll still be in with a shot of getting something until the final few weeks. I think the Americans are here to stay for a few more years.

League 1 is where I think interest will wane. The magic and novelty of chasing promotion will have worn off and a few years of mid table nothingness will drive away all but the most dedicated international fans.

It’s telling though how important the American market is to their success that they’ve got a sponsorship that doesn’t sell their product in the UK.
    I don't think there is much of market in the US for a League 2 team. Whatever "support" Wrexham has over here is going to have to subscribe to their equivalent of CCTV if they want to watch games. I can't see many fans of the show coughing up $12 to watch football on a Saturday morning week in week out.

Reminds me of when City were advertising Kenny Rogers Roasters.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think there is much of market in the US for a League 2 team. Whatever "support" Wrexham has over here is going to have to subscribe to their equivalent of CCTV if they want to watch games. I can't see many fans of the show coughing up $12 to watch football on a Saturday morning week in week out.
    Especially when they would watch some decent premier league football for the same price

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Reminds me of when City were advertising Kenny Rogers Roasters.
    There were even then none of them left in the US!

Fair play to Tan though he knows what sells in his own market

A load of country maybe?

Especially when they would watch some decent premier league football for the same price
    You said earlier they’ve lost the plot. Who were you referring to, Wrexham or the sponsors?

You said earlier they’ve lost the plot. Who were you referring to, Wrexham or the sponsors?
    Sponsors.

Though I’m pretty sure this is destined to end in disaster for the club too

They have a sponsor injecting money into their coffers for the coming season. Hardly a problem.

They could easily launch in the UK though, our big Tesco's has a Cold brew / Iced Coffee section now ( it used to just be with the Milk and have a cheapo brand, Starbucks and Costa Chilled Coffees ), we know that cold brews are big business in the US, so why not the UK

They also have a big distribution network in place with Danone, household names like Actimel, Evian & Volvic Water

I assume they have secured a 3rd season of the tv show then. Fair play to them.

People saying Americans will get turned off when in league 1 mediocracy, haven't watched past season 7 of The Office, or past season 5 of always sunny in Philadelphia. Americans absolutely lap up mediocre TV that far out run its course .

Sponsors.

Though I’m pretty sure this is destined to end in disaster for the club too
    How could a sponsorship deal with a coffee company end in disaster?

Wrexham v Stoke at the stok stadium

Ground into submission??

trouble is brewing

The whole American thing doesn’t feel very sustainable to me. Hardly going to be lifelong fans are they.

Then they’ll be saddled with high expenses and low income

The whole American thing doesn’t feel very sustainable to me. Hardly going to be lifelong fans are they.

Sounds familiar....

OK, sounds like pretty much every other professional football club in the English pyramid to me, especially those with foreign ownership, but I'm still struggling to see the connection between what you are saying and a sponsorship deal with a coffee company, which you claimed was destined to end in disaster for the club.

Maybe it's all froth.

OK, sounds like pretty much every other professional football club in the English pyramid to me, especially those with foreign ownership, but I'm still struggling to see the connection between what you are saying and a sponsorship deal with a coffee company, which you claimed was destined to end in disaster for the club.
    Not sure every team in Britain, particularly those in League Two, is reliant on overseas fans and sponsorships.

Two separate points really

Sponsoring a stadium in a country where you’re product isn’t available is a bit of an odd move

The American interest will surely fade pretty quickly and they’re pinning a lot on that.