+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Racecourse gets a name change

Re: The Racecourse gets a name change

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Not sure every team in Britain, particularly those in League Two, is reliant on overseas fans and sponsorships.

Two separate points really

Sponsoring a stadium in a country where you’re product isn’t available is a bit of an odd move

The American interest will surely fade pretty quickly and they’re pinning a lot on that.
    Not necessarily. The products may be on sale in the countries receiving the broadcast. Hence, Chinese language ads being visible in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Not sure every team in Britain, particularly those in League Two, is reliant on overseas fans and sponsorships.

Two separate points really

Sponsoring a stadium in a country where you’re product isn’t available is a bit of an odd move

The American interest will surely fade pretty quickly and they’re pinning a lot on that.
    I'm not sure Wrexham are reliant on overseas fans and sponsorships - but they have both, which has to be a bonus.

I'd agree that sponsoring a stadium where your product isn't available is an odd move on the face of it, but perhaps the company is seeking to expand its operations and it believes a sponsorship deal with a high-profile club like Wrexham are at present is a good investment - especially as the deal is likely to be reasonably cheap at this stage of Wrexham's development.

I can't think of any other examples of American film or media stars buying lowly football clubs and giving them the sort of profile Wrexham are currently enjoying, so I don't think it's possible to make any firm predictions as regards what the future holds for the club.

Just checked UK trademark registrations and the coffee products concerned were registered 5 years ago, which gives the company a few years more in which to launch the product(s) concerned. Registrations have to be backed up with evidence of use in order for them to remain valid. Putting down a placer merely to stop other registrations is not permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think there is much of market in the US for a League 2 team. Whatever "support" Wrexham has over here is going to have to subscribe to their equivalent of CCTV if they want to watch games. I can't see many fans of the show coughing up $12 to watch football on a Saturday morning week in week out.
    I think you’re vastly underestimating how many and how eagerly the Americans have jumped on the band wagon. They have a huge American fan base who were willing to watch them in the National League and pay for NLTV.

They sold out 25k replica shirts last season and ordered 35k for next season. Most being sold to the states.

Friendlies in America are sold out despite tickets being $200. For an open training session tickets are $85.

They’ve got more followers on social media than some PL clubs.

And they’ve not even peaked in terms of exposure and popularity, they’ve got another season of the documentary coming out soon and a third season already greenlit.

I have my doubts if the Americans will stick around when the going gets tough but for the next couple of seasons they’ll be there.

Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Maybe it's all froth.
    Filtered through this thread and not enough coffee based posts

I’ll never understand why anyone would think that what is happening at Wrexham is a bad thing… ‘we’re all doomed Captain Mainwering’

First Team

It certainly isn't a bad thing as without the investment and general boost to the area it was a club going nowhere and whose potential supporter base was being eroded by the Merseyside and Manchester teams.
    How it pans out in the long run is anyone's guess but experience tells us that very few saviours remain that after a few years and the initial feel good factor has disapaited.
    Personally I feel nothing for Wrexham but the whole story is undeniably different from the norm and as an outsider looking in it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

The can stok it up their urse.

Think we're missing a trick here get millions of pounds to change the name and everyone calls it the old name anyway.