+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jeff Stelling

Jeff Stelling

It was his last ever Soccer Special yesterday.

I’m actually really going to miss him being on my tv Saturday afternoons. He started when I was around 4/5 years old so I don’t know Saturdays during the football season without him.

Didn’t watch every week obviously but it was nice to know he was always there.

Soccer AM finishing too, although not on the same level as Jeff, just makes it a double whammy.

Stelling is a national treasure in my opinion and I can’t imagine anyone having a bad word to say about him.

I wonder who will replace him. That Jules has none of the charm or sense of humour so I hope it’s not him.
    A woman doing it would be the typical thing to do at the moment but I can’t think of anyone that would fit the bill.
    Adam Smith who used to be on soccer am has been suggested, I could see him growing into the role.
    The best candidate for me would be Chappers.

Jeff’s highlights they showed at the end of the show yesterday -

https://youtu.be/cJNV1qBi_Ds

Re: Jeff Stelling

I've never had Sky so i didn't really get to watch much of Soccer Saturday, but from what i saw, he seemed a master at keeping the show flowing, and allowing for his guests, making it easy for them when they were struggling for words or picking the right moment to make a joke about it. He understood what he was working with. Very talented presenter.

Don't think there's any point doing it without him. Just go back to Teletext.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Don't think there's any point doing it without him. Just go back to Teletext.
    Shit, remember Teletext-Ceefax? I can remember buying a holiday from teletext years ago, missed the page and waiting 2 hours for it to come back around again

It just won’t be the same now, I struggle to watch it anyway when Jeff is replaced mid week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Shit, remember Teletext-Ceefax? I can remember buying a holiday from teletext years ago, missed the page and waiting 2 hours for it to come back around again

Yep. It's like Brian Johnson leaving the cricket (due to unforeseen circumstances).

Used to love it when Sky Sports News was on Freeview but not having Sky I haven't seen it since but I thought Jeff Stelling was absolutely brilliant, a gem of a presenter and clearly much loved by all those who had the pleasure of working with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Our little gang on the Bob Bank used to refer to regular goal scorers for the opposition when we were in the depths of the Football League as Teletext scorers. That’s more or less the only place that you saw their names.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Our little gang on the Bob Bank used to refer to regular goal scorers for the opposition when we were in the depths of the Football League as Teletext scorers. That’s more or less the only place that you saw their names.
    I've always love it when a team scores 7 and in front of it it reads 7 (Seven) It's like 'We can't believe it either' Do they do the same for an eight or a nine?

Jeff Stelling is a truly brilliant presenter and probably a unique talent in terms of a show like Soccer Saturday. Sky will never be able to find a like-for-like replacement, but they’ll know that.

Shame Jeff’s gone as I loved his style, but I’d noticed mistakes were becoming far more common with him during the last couple of seasons, so the timing is probably right.

Fenners is out of work with soccer am now gone too

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Jeff Stelling is a truly brilliant presenter and probably a unique talent in terms of a show like Soccer Saturday. Sky will never be able to find a like-for-like replacement, but they’ll know that.

Shame Jeff’s gone as I loved his style, but I’d noticed mistakes were becoming far more common with him during the last couple of seasons, so the timing is probably right.
    Not like you to notice mistakes.......

The guy was vastly over- rated. I could have, and still would, do a better job on a Saturday afternoon. Anyone can read facts and figures from a sheet put in front of me.
    He also let himself down really badly a couple of seasons ago when Hartlepool went down instead of Newport County, behaving like a complete clown live on the show.
    Get someone on there, with more charm and charisma, someone who will do a better job. Someone like Jim White of TalkSport. Preferably a man , who will lift the show up a notch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    The guy was vastly over- rated. I could have, and still would, do a better job on a Saturday afternoon. Anyone can read facts and figures from a sheet put in front of me.
    He also let himself down really badly a couple of seasons ago when Hartlepool went down instead of Newport County, behaving like a complete clown live on the show.

Get someone on there, with more charm and charisma, someone who will do a better job. Someone like Jim White of TalkSport. Preferably a man , who will lift the show up a notch or two.
    There's room for even minority views on this forum. Wasn't Stelling chairman of Hartlepool at the time? Either way you have to forgive a bloke for being enthusiastic about his own team just like the majority of us would be if Cardiff were in similar circumstances.

I don't know you, but I do know that there is no way you would do a better job of presenting three or four hours of live TV than Jeff Stelling.

I used to watch it when it was free but I won't pay for what is basically final score with overpaid clowns like Phil Thompson and his ilk

If they get Natalie Sawyer in to do it though I will get my money out

Probably the only 'presenter' who truly respected the 92 club concept [plus Scottish and National League, too]. Whether you were a West Ham, Wigan or Wrexham fan, you'd be assured of getting coverage and air time on a Saturday afternoon. Roath Ravers for ever !

You'll get no stick from me for being completely wrong

A true one off - one thing he didn’t do was just read his stuff off a board, how on earth could anyone do that on a show with such a format?

This post is second only to the will Haaland to be the next Cornelius whopper

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    This post is second only to the will Haaland to be the next Cornelius whopper
    Touch and go, but I would have it as first - as he intended.

Is it my imagination or has the 'bigoted WUM' space become more crowded recently?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Touch and go, but I would have it as first - as he intended.

Is it my imagination or has the 'bigoted WUM' space become more crowded recently?
    There’s more posting names making bigoted WUM posts, whether there’s more people making them is harder to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Yep. It's like Brian Johnson leaving the cricket (due to unforeseen circumstances).
    John Arlott leaving the cricket Murray Walker leaving F1

Peter Alliss leaving golf, sadly or the same reason as Brian Johnson

In fairness, you're a miserable fecker. How do you carry a pint of milk into the house without it curdling?