+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League Two 2008/09

League Two 2008/09

When Luton Town were relegated to the Conference National League in May 2009 after a 30 points deduction by the EFL, the final game of their 2008/09 League Two campaign was a 2-0 defeat at Brentford. The side finishing 21st of 24 in League Two that season were Bournemouth, who avoided relegation despite a 17 points penalty under the guidance of new manager Eddie Howe.

Luton had beaten League One strugglers Brighton earlier in the season in a two-legged Football League Trophy semi-final. Brighton finished 16th in League One in 2008/09, avoiding relegation to the basement by just three points.

All four clubs will be competing in the Premier League next season. Brighton finished sixth this season, thereby earning qualification for the Europa League. The 2023/24 campaign will be Albion's seventh consecutive season in top flight after their promotion in 2016/17. Brentford finished a very creditable ninth this season. 2023/24 will be their third consecutive season in the Premier League. Bournemouth finished 15th this time around. They have spent six of the last eight seasons in the English top flight.

Some seem to believe the Premier League is the root of all evil - a closed shop which benefits only the country's elite clubs and is killing football at the lower levels. The recent achievements of Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton would strongly suggest otherwise.

Re: League Two 2008/09

Wrexham will never achieve it apparently

This is abject nonsense

Luton and the other smaller clubs have got to the Premier league DESPITE those that run it .....essentially the big clubs .....trying their very best over the years to keep all the money within the Premier league and in addition grabbing as much as they can for those who finish higher up

In other words .....the greedy gits

The Premier League is a disgrace and there is regularly talk of the big boys joining a super league to feed off even more money

The one thing they have been unable to stop so far is teams from the championship from getting promoted .....thus enabling the likes of Luton and Brentford to have some time in the sun

But they have tried and if they could turn into an even greater closed shop they would

Your continual creepy support of the disgraceful edifice that is the Premier League is pathetic

It's so nauseating it's almost as if they are paying you

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This is abject nonsense

Luton and the other smaller clubs have got to the Premier league DESPITE those that run it .....essentially the big clubs .....trying their very best over the years to keep all the money within the Premier league and in addition grabbing as much as they can for those who finish higher up

In other words .....the greedy gits

The Premier League is a disgrace and there is regularly talk of the big boys joining a super league to feed off even more money

The one thing they have been unable to stop so far is teams from the championship from getting promoted .....thus enabling the likes of Luton and Brentford to have some time in the sun

But they have tried and if they could turn into an even greater closed shop they would

Your continual creepy support of the disgraceful edifice that is the Premier League is pathetic

It's so nauseating it's almost as if they are paying you
    I used to smile at the way you stuck with your regimental internet persona… (right sorts, metal, anti PL etc) ….it landed as an entertaining ruse and I enjoyed the harmless nature if it, but over time it’s more than lost it’s lustre and you’ve unfortunately become another version of dml.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I used to smile at the way you stuck with your regimental internet persona… (right sorts, metal, anti PL etc) ….it landed as an entertaining ruse and I enjoyed the harmless nature if it, but over time it’s more than lost it’s lustre and you’ve unfortunately become another version of dml.
    You are entitled to your opinion of my posts which in my opinion is incorrect but I don't post for your approval

The continual praise of the odious premier league by the OP is nauseating and factually incorrect

I am sure he's got the very latest Man City , United and Liverpool shirts hung up in his bedroom

You are entitled to your opinion of my posts which in my opinion is incorrect but I don't post for your approval

The continual praise of the odious premier league by the OP is nauseating and factually incorrect

I am sure he's got the very latest Man City , United and Liverpool shirts hung up in his bedroom
    Have you ever conceded that you may be wrong on an issue, or that the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I'm not just talking about the Premier League, but any subject you discuss on here?

I don’t approve or otherwise of what you post…just sharing a point of view…although from a personal perspective I do in most instances prefer TLG’s posts to yours

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I don’t approve or otherwise of what you post…just sharing a point of view…although from a personal perspective I do in most instances prefer TLG’s posts to yours
    An opinion of a negative or positive slant is approval or disapproval is it not ?

My opinion of the OP is that it's ridiculous as the Premier league has tried to make it as difficult as possible for smaller clubs to prosper

I hope the likes of Luton do well but it will be down to the club itself not the greatness of the Premier league which the OP is continually going on about

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Have you ever conceded that you may be wrong on an issue, or that the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I'm not just talking about the Premier League, but any subject you discuss on here?
    Well greater scribes than any on here have given critical analysis of the Premier league so I tend to side with them . I don't think I am wrong on the subject .

With regard to other matters well its a matter of opinions .

You appeared to be a Jeremy Corbyn fan . I wasn't and the majority of people like me who voted Labour were glad to see the back of him .

I like heavy metal . You like soul .

It's a balancing act .

Sludge in the new VICTOR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Sludge in the new VICTOR!!!
    If someone suggests that the Premier League is some sort of veritable beneficiary to the rest of football then its there to be challenged

It's the rest of football that has had to fight tooth and nail for redistribution of wealth from the money league

And The Premier League have let go of some scraps through gritted teeth and great reluctance

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When Luton Town were relegated to the Conference National League in May 2009 after a 30 points deduction by the EFL, the final game of their 2008/09 League Two campaign was a 2-0 defeat at Brentford. The side finishing 21st of 24 in League Two that season were Bournemouth, who avoided relegation despite a 17 points penalty under the guidance of new manager Eddie Howe.

Luton had beaten League One strugglers Brighton earlier in the season in a two-legged Football League Trophy semi-final. Brighton finished 16th in League One in 2008/09, avoiding relegation to the basement by just three points.

All four clubs will be competing in the Premier League next season. Brighton finished sixth this season, thereby earning qualification for the Europa League. The 2023/24 campaign will be Albion's seventh consecutive season in top flight after their promotion in 2016/17. Brentford finished a very creditable ninth this season. 2023/24 will be their third consecutive season in the Premier League. Bournemouth finished 15th this time around. They have spent six of the last eight seasons in the English top flight.

Some seem to believe the Premier League is the root of all evil - a closed shop which benefits only the country's elite clubs and is killing football at the lower levels. The recent achievements of Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton would strongly suggest otherwise.
    Might aswell throw Burnley in there too, wigan and the jacks also proved that very small clubs can exist there for a few years

Well greater scribes than any on here have given critical analysis of the Premier league so I tend to side with them . I don't think I am wrong on the subject .

With regard to other matters well its a matter of opinions .

You appeared to be a Jeremy Corbyn fan . I wasn't and the majority of people like me who voted Labour were glad to see the back of him .

I like heavy metal . You like soul .

It's a balancing act .
    Heavy metal is sh*t

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Might aswell throw Burnley in there too, wigan and the jacks also proved that very small clubs can exist there for a few years
    If the Premier league is so welcoming to the championship clubs why have attempts been made to prevent those clubs like Luton from getting promoted from the championship in the first place ?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Heavy metal is sh*t
    You are going to have to do a lot better than that 😂

I'm not sure the top 6 care who the other 14 teams are. There are opportunities to be had if you like mid-table. Brighton's manager said yesterday losing their best players to those higher up was a cross they had to bear. Everyone in football works to feed those at the top of the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I'm not sure the top 6 care who the other 14 teams are. There are opportunities to be had if you like mid-table. Brighton's manager said yesterday losing their best players to those higher up was a cross they had to bear. Everyone in football works to feed those at the top of the scheme.
    It particularly pleases me when teams from the original 5 greedy gits who set up The Premier League .......Liverpool , United , Arsenal , Spurs and Everton ......fail miserably and have hissy fits when they mess up and finish outside of the big gang

It doesn't happen enough but when it does , it's great

Also Wigan, Portsmouth, and Bolton reasonably comfortable in the PL that season. It goes both ways..

I'm not sure the top 6 care who the other 14 teams are.
    When you say the top six, are you including Newcastle (4th) and Brighton (6th)?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Also Wigan, Portsmouth, and Bolton reasonably comfortable in the PL that season. It goes both ways..
    Of course. Promotion and relegation. It’s how the pyramid system works and has always worked.

Of course. Promotion and relegation. It’s how the pyramid system works and has always worked.
    It wouldn't have been the way it would always have worked if your beloved Premier league had got its way though as promotion and relegation would have ended

Wonder if there is a correlation between teams from the London area and the affluent South Coast?

When you say the top six, are you including Newcastle (4th) and Brighton (6th)?
    Brighton are top 6 now? That's great; they won't have to sell Mac Allister or Caicedo and will be able to establish themselves as one of the biggest clubs in the country like Leicester (5th in '21) and Southampton (6th in '16).

"Big 6" then? Granted, Newcastle might make it a Big 7 but they're not much of an advert for an open Premier league.

Brighton are top 6 now?
    Yes, they are. The season’s over. Brighton finished in the top 6.

All clubs have to sell players, don’t they? Are there any exceptions?

Man City equalised in the 95th minute after making it 1-2 in the 90th minute against Gillingham in the 1999 Tier Three (whatever the Third Division was called then) play off final, winning 3-1 on pens after extra time. They’ve come on a bit lately