+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Dalman buy the City off Tan?

Re: Will Dalman buy the City off Tan?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    He was. In this context he'd say "Taking over a football club is very much like making love to a beautiful woman..."
    That's the one

I think it was on twitter, people asking "does he even speak English?"
    Ahh not on twitter

I think it was on twitter, people asking "does he even speak English?"
    There were some people speculating that Sol Bamba might have a translating job (and stay with the club) if Bulut doesn't speak English.

Sol speaks at least five languages, including Turkish. But as is now obvious - he's not needed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    And of course expertise trumps experience every time and there ain't much of that to go round on our board; save for selling cars maybe.
    Assume that you meant this message board, in which case I agree with every word you said.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sal man has been Chairman of the club for under 10 years - not over 12. (July 2013).

He has obviously developed some experience and expertise over that time - but as a non executive on the Board. He gets involved with the appointment of managers (in some cases he leads the recruitment and sells the idea to Tan - in other cases he doesn’t). The Sala tragedy has given Dalman a unique insight into football governance and Swiss contract law - but not enough to prevent late payment of the first instalment to Nantes and the 3 window transfer restrictions that came with it. So no - he’s not a novice, but neither is he a top operator in running a big club.
    OK, he joined the board in January 2012, so I will compromise at 11 years experience, not that it makes much difference. Dalman explained why the Sala payment was late arriving from Tan, so I don't think he can be blamed for that or the three window ban that came with it. He also seems to get quite directly involved with speaking to managers and dealing with the negotiating and financial side of players we want to sign, so that would have brought him into contact with many other club Chairman and owners. As I said, he has been here for considerably longer than quite a few current Chairmen and owners of other clubs and in my book that makes him experienced and knowledgeable at the job, even if mistakes are made sometimes. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse and personal insults thrown at him that he gets regularly. He knows a damn sight more on the financial situation and running of the club than the people who continually denigrate him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've heard of Swiss Peter. But who is Swiss Tony?

...and that was genuinely the inspiration for my name when I signed up, whenever it was, in the early 2000s. (My partly Swiss heritage being the other reason).

According to the man himself he was called Swiss Tony as he was 'built like an alp, and ridged like a toblerone'.

Well thought of in football circles. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cardiff City the perfect example of a well run club.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Assume that you meant this message board, in which case I agree with every word you said.
    Nice try David 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

...and that was genuinely the inspiration for my name when I signed up, whenever it was, in the early 2000s. (My partly Swiss heritage being the other reason).

According to the man himself he was called Swiss Tony as he was 'built like an alp, and ridged like a toblerone'.
    And does he have a place he can call gnome?

OK, he joined the board in January 2012, so I will compromise at 11 years experience, not that it makes much difference. Dalman explained why the Sala payment was late arriving from Tan, so I don't think he can be blamed for that or the three window ban that came with it. He also seems to get quite directly involved with speaking to managers and dealing with the negotiating and financial side of players we want to sign, so that would have brought him into contact with many other club Chairman and owners. As I said, he has been here for considerably longer than quite a few current Chairmen and owners of other clubs and in my book that makes him experienced and knowledgeable at the job, even if mistakes are made sometimes. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse and personal insults thrown at him that he gets regularly. He knows a damn sight more on the financial situation and running of the club than the people who continually denigrate him.
    Just an observation on your view of Dalman, I agree with you that, undoubtedly, he will have learned to a degree on the job but at the last meeting of fans' reps that he chaired (prior to the Bulut appointment) he expressed his considerable frustration about Tan's unwillingness to appoint someone to the board with football expertise. Seemingly, down to Tan's belief that, in the past he has been conned in relation to specific transfers which Tan has previously outlined. Dalman clearly stated at that meeting that, of all the boards he sits on, Cardiff City is the only one without any specific expertise on the board relating to the business they are in. If Dalman himself is bemoaning the fact that the board lacks football expertise then he must be including himself in those board members who are not sufficiently expert.

Your last sentence seems to mean that nobody in any job/profession can be criticised by anybody not in the same line. Of course he should know more than any of us about the financial situation and running of the club than us, he’s the chairman for Christ’s sake. But, as in any walk of life, failure (and we have been gradually (or swiftly) failing these last few seasons) will attract denigration and criticism and the finger pointing inevitably is aimed at the top. He’s being well rewarded,I’d imagine, for overseeing a club in decline on the field and a club with a cloak and dagger approach off the field, the buck has to stop somewhere. How you can’t see that and continue posting your ‘everything in the garden is rosy’ messages is beyond me.............Your favourite band has to be Blind Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Your last sentence seems to mean that nobody in any job/profession can be criticised by anybody not in the same line. Of course he should know more than any of us about the financial situation and running of the club than us, he’s the chairman for Christ’s sake. But, as in any walk of life, failure (and we have been gradually (or swiftly) failing these last few seasons) will attract denigration and criticism and the finger pointing inevitably is aimed at the top. He’s being well rewarded,I’d imagine, for overseeing a club in decline on the field and a club with a cloak and dagger approach off the field, the buck has to stop somewhere. How you can’t see that and continue posting your ‘everything in the garden is rosy’ messages is beyond me.............Your favourite band has to be Blind Faith.
    Anyone know what happens if you tug your forelock too much?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Anyone know what happens if you tug your forelock too much?
    You end up like Cousin (tw)Itt!

People need to go easy on dml1954. He's having a hard time of it.

The team has just endured a dismal season, culminating in its lowest league finish in 20 years. The chairman has admitted he's been disengaged for the last 18 months and has publicly taken the mickey out of the owner, and the club has employed a Turk nobody had ever heard of this time last week. That must be hard to stomach for someone like dml1954 who has consistently expressed a preference for young, British managers.

[QUOTE=The Lone Gunman;5427688

That must be hard to stomach for someone like dml1954 who has consistently expressed a preference for young, British managers.[/QUOTE]

And old Malaysian dictators.

On the subject of Dalman’s chairmanship, he actually discussed his performance over the last 10 years (his tenure) with WOL.
    It seems appalling that he could be “disengaged” from running the club for so long. Surely he should have brought it to Tan’s attention - if nothing else, to protect his investment.

Why does Tan want out?