+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retained list

Re: Retained list

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Harris has made a grand total of 5 appearances for Wales, all from the bench. His time on the pitch in a Welsh senior jersey totals just 133 minutes. He's never started a game for Wales, never scored a goal.

His last appearance for Wales came more than a year ago. He didn't play a single minute in the disastrous 2022 World Cup campaign, wasn't selected for the Euro qualifiers squad in March and hasn't been selected for the forthcoming qualifiers against Armenia and Turkey either.

In my opinion, some of the comments in this thread about Harris are nuts. The guy made 17 (+21) appearances for City last season, scoring just three goals. He scored his last goal at Sunderland on 05/11/22. He was a regular part of the most toothless attack the club has fielded in decades. And yet people think he's a decent squad player and worthy of another contract?

Harris works hard and tries his best, but there's just no evidence to suggest he's good enough for this level. If he was English or some other nationality, I'm 100% certain people wouldn't be so keen to keep him on.
    But apart from that what has Harris done for us??

I played tennis against Cohen Griffith once.
    No relevance to the debate, just thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I played cricket against a len Ashurst select 11 including Gary Bennett and he was rapid in fairness

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    While that might all be true, he is a 100%'er and that's contagious on the training field and pitch , we know he is not going to be a 20 goal a season player at this level, but when we are where we are, he must be a good option to bring on when a goal up to see the game out
    Three goals, zero assists last season. Dynamite bench option. It must really strike fear into opponents’ hearts when they see him warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I played cricket against Steve Sherlock

I battered him all over the ground

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Fishy

I'm surprised Watters isn't mentioned as someone who needs to improve. In the recent playoffs he was as anonymous as he is for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    good post is that.
    Agreed. Unfortunately the facts speak for themselves- if Mark Harris is anything more than an emergency back up part of our forward line, a season of dull endeavour at the wrong end of the table looms

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm surprised Watters isn't mentioned as someone who needs to improve. In the recent playoffs he was as anonymous as he is for us.
    I think its just accepted hes got no future with us and needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately the facts speak for themselves- if Mark Harris is anything more than an emergency back up part of our forward line, a season of dull endeavour at the wrong end of the table looms
    Its going to be a fight at the wrong end of the table with or without Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Harris has no real football brain. That sounds harsh to say, but it's true.
    He lacks cleverness, to sometimes do the unorthodox.
    I watched snippets of Lee Trundle playing recently in the US. Yes, it was against women, but when he received the ball you never knew what to expect from him next - Harris, on the other hand just seems to put a lot of endeavour just running straight lines.

International

I ran into Gareth Bale on Thursday evening in Heathrow terminal 5. I don't care what the ref says there's no way it was a yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Harris has no real football brain. That sounds harsh to say, but it's true.
    He lacks cleverness, to sometimes do the unorthodox.
    I watched snippets of Lee Trundle playing recently in the US. Yes, it was against women, but when he received the ball you never knew what to expect from him next - Harris, on the other hand just seems to put a lot of endeavour just running straight lines.
    Harris is, understandably, being criticised for his lack of goals - nine in eighty seven second tier appearances isn’t good for a forward, but Trundle’s thirteen in eighty three isn’t much better.He was a very good lower division player, but found the step up to the Championship difficult - Harris has already played more games at this level than he did.

Trundle was easier on the eye than Harris is, but all of his skill didn’t add up to much at the higher level - Harris wouldn’t need to improve much to become a better Championship player than Trundle was.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Harris is, understandably, being criticised for his lack of goals - nine in eighty seven second tier appearances isn’t good for a forward, but Trundle’s thirteen in eighty three isn’t much better.He was a very good lower division player, but found the step up to the Championship difficult - Harris has already played more games at this level than he did.

Trundle was easier on the eye than Harris is, but all of his skill didn’t add up to much at the higher level - Harris wouldn’t need to improve much to become a better Championship player than Trundle was.
    Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have used Lee Trundle as a comparison.
    Nevertheless, I stand by what I said about Harris - he's too predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

No shit

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    No shit
    The comedians are in tonight !

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Fishy
    He was floundering around as I slashed him to the boundary

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Personally I would have kept Phillips, I think he’s better than the other 2
    I’d forgotten he was still on the books. Twice as good as the 2 duffers we had this year.

Weekly update 11 June 2023 – club finally issue their retained list.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Sawyers needs the exit door as well.
    I agree, I don't see how he will fit in Bulut's 4-2-3-1 system. The '2' in front of the back 4 are going to be very important players. So which 2 out of Wintle-Ralls-King-Adams-Rinomhota-Sawyers is it going to be? I'd guess Wintle and Ralls, although none of have seen Adams yet. I'm guessing that the '2' will be expected to offer a threat at set pieces, but again none of the players listed above do.

The lack of impact (due to injury in Adams case) of the three midfielders we signed last summer blighted our season more that it is credited. Rinomhota & Sawyers were no better than Vaulks, Pack or Bacuna, who they replaced. We really went for quantity over quality. Ralls and Wintle, who we already had, ended up unchallenged as 1st choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have used Lee Trundle as a comparison.
    Nevertheless, I stand by what I said about Harris - he's too predictable.
    But he will run those straight lines for you all day as he has done in the past. You need some players like that.

Previously he was up on his own a lot of the time, with a decent target man next to him he possibly could get a few chances and you know he’ll work his socks off to get them

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good post. The point i was trying to make is that good players will show through under most conditions, that's why i used the Blakey example. I know that Harris isn't as good as Blake was, and my point is probably a bit more general in terms of players that some fans seem to be making excuses for, when they haven't earned that right.

I have a more simplistic slant on things, good players find a way to show us what they can do, in whatever side they play in, because they're better on the ball, better without the ball, more intelligent. They may not make the difference if they're around poor players, but it's obvious to everyone that they're a step ahead in terms of ability. Harris isn't any of those things, and he never will be, because they're natural traits to start with that are perfected by working very hard and living well. There's no magic wand coach or 'Better Players' out there who are likely to improve his game, that's his shout.
    I'd agree with all of that, with the possible exception of the last sentence. I think every player we have would look better in a more fluid and better coached team which included some additional quality players. But I do get and accept your point.

I don't think anybody thinks Harris is a world beater or someone we should build a team around. He is a useful squad player who's pace and energy comes in handy on times, particularly off the bench. The only argument for releasing him I can see is that he could possibly block the development of a younger, potentially better player in our Academy. However the next taxi's off the rank, Crole, Ashford and Wigley are different players and don't offer what Harris does.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    I'd agree with all of that, with the possible exception of the last sentence. I think every player we have would look better in a more fluid and better coached team which included some additional quality players. But I do get and accept your point.

I don't think anybody thinks Harris is a world beater or someone we should build a team around. He is a useful squad player who's pace and energy comes in handy on times, particularly off the bench. The only argument for releasing him I can see is that he could possibly block the development of a younger, potentially better player in our Academy. However the next taxi's off the rank, Crole, Ashford and Wigley are different players and don't offer what Harris does.
    Harris can't find the net

That's it for me

I like Harris but if he wasn’t Welsh I doubt we’d be even having this debate. He is a player we WANT to like. Darcy Blake was similar when his form dipped. We long for a local hero, especially a goalscorer. I can’t get worked about, say, Romaine Sawyers or Ojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    I like Harris but if he wasn’t Welsh I doubt we’d be even having this debate. He is a player we WANT to like. Darcy Blake was similar when his form dipped. We long for a local hero, especially a goalscorer. I can’t get worked about, say, Romaine Sawyers or Ojo.
    Agree and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, if Harris wasn't local he wouldn't be playing for us.