Mark Harris offered a new deal. Why?

Re: Retained list

Personally I would have kept Phillips, I think he’s better than the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Agreed.

How much say has Bulut had in this retained list?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How much say has Bulut had in this retained list?
    Very little i would have thought, unless he's been watching a load of video recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Don’t get the hate for Mark Harris

Let’s see how he does with a target man.

He was doing everything on his own before.

Good luck to Tom Sang

Very little i would have thought, unless he's been watching a load of video recordings.
    I was even thinking he's had no say at all, as it was all done and dusted before he was appointed. That's a bit of a shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don’t get the hate for Mark Harris

Let’s see how he does with a target man.

He was doing everything on his own before.

Good luck to Tom Sang
    I don't hate Harris, why would i? I just thing that he's very limited and offers very little in attack, he's not a goalscorer or a link up player of any sort. Haven't we seen enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I was even thinking he's had no say at all, as it was all done and dusted before he was appointed. That's a bit of a shambles.
    Very likely.

If Bulut likes to press in the opposition half or final third as most places seem to suggest Harris is a fine squad player. He's just never a out and out striker or a goal scorer like he's had to try to be at times in the past 18 months due to our questionable squad building.

Think Jones, MacNamara and Pritchard are a little unlucky to be released by the under 21s. As for the seniors, no surprises for me, still think Harris can be a Championship standard forward, Bagan was treated poorly last season and King seemed to have benefitted from his time at Crewe even if his form tailed off somewhat towards the end of it.

Thought Pritchard was a decent prospect, also wasn't Leahy at one time pretty well regarded- seemed to be pretty noticeable when I was able to watch the u21s towards the end of last season and at the start of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think Jones, MacNamara and Pritchard are a little unlucky to be released by the under 21s. As for the seniors, no surprises for me, still think Harris can be a Championship standard forward, Bagan was treated poorly last season and King seemed to have benefitted from his time at Crewe even if his form tailed off somewhat towards the end of it.
    What makes you think Harris can develop into a championship level forward? He's played 95 games for us in all competitions Bob, i haven't seen all of those games, but what does he have that can make a difference, because as a forward, he has to have that on times. I can't see it, although i can understand why people like him. He works very hard and his best asset in my opinion is his short runs across the line of defenders, but all so often he's reactive, like the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    If Bulut likes to press in the opposition half or final third as most places seem to suggest Harris is a fine squad player.
    Fine? By Championship standards (which seem to be getting worse), I'd say he's a bang average squad player at best.

Harris is 25 later this year. He's not some raw teenager. I'll be amazed if he improves significantly at any stage. Of course, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, but I just can't see it. The fact that he's been offered a new contract does not inspire confidence for what lies ahead.

Not saying anything about his ability, he would have been defined as a home grown player or whatever it's called. Is there still a minimum number of home grown and/or developed players to include?

Harris looks overawed, runs about a bit usually to no avail. Worrying, really that he’s a squad regular given his ability.

What makes you think Harris can develop into a championship level forward? He's played 95 games for us in all competitions Bob, i haven't seen all of those games, but what does he have that can make a difference, because as a forward, he has to have that on times. I can't see it, although i can understand why people like him. He works very hard and his best asset in my opinion is his short runs across the line of defenders, but all so often he's reactive, like the rest of them.
    I agree with this - he has had plenty of opportunities and I can't see what he offers now but more importantly what he will offer in the future that we haven't seen yet.

I am not even sure he works hard consistently - I have seen him come on as a sub which some people say is his best use and he has run out of steam really quickly

He also seems worse when he has time to think and ends up doing nothing with the ball

But apart from that.....

If you look at the goals he’s scored for us, there’s some good finishes among them and he doesn’t miss too many sitters. Of course, given the low number he’s scored, it all suggests that he doesn’t get many scoring chances and not all of the reason for that is down to others. Like a few others, Harris’ better performances tend to come in away games where he’s been effective as an impact sub at times.

We’ve not seen Harris, Colwill and Davies playing for a City side that is in the habit of being on the front foot in home games - in fact, remarkably, you could say only Joe Ralls of last season’s squad has been! I think so much about modern day Cardiff City could change for the better if we got back to a position where City teams took the pitch expecting to win at Cardiff City Stadium - Harris and others might look different players to what we’ve become used to seeing if we were able to treat playing at homelike most other teams do.

I don't hate Harris, why would i? I just thing that he's very limited and offers very little in attack, he's not a goalscorer or a link up player of any sort. Haven't we seen enough?
    Yeah, but he runs around a lot.

If you look at the goals he’s scored for us, there’s some good finishes among them and he doesn’t miss too many sitters. Of course, given the low number he’s scored, it all suggests that he doesn’t get many scoring chances and not all of the reason for that is down to others. Like a few others, Harris’ better performances tend to come in away games where he’s been effective as an impact sub at times.

We’ve not seen Harris, Colwill and Davies playing for a City side that is in the habit of being on the front foot in home games - in fact, remarkably, you could say only Joe Ralls of last season’s squad has been! I think so much about modern day Cardiff City could change for the better if we got back to a position where City teams took the pitch expecting to win at Cardiff City Stadium - Harris and others might look different players to what we’ve become used to seeing if we were able to treat playing at homelike most other teams do.
    Fair enough Bob, good enough reasons, although where i will disagree with you is when you talk about the team not showing up in an attacking sense, or front foot as you put it, in terms of the three players mentioned, but, in my opinion that's an excuse, decent footballers find a way to show us what they're about in my opinion, tney'll get the ball enough times during a game that shows us that they have something, it might not come off, but as supporters i think that we can recognise quality, even in a poor team with crap tactics, Nathan Blake didn't have that problem and he played in some awful City sides, we just knew that he was better than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I agree with this - he has had plenty of opportunities and I can't see what he offers now but more importantly what he will offer in the future that we haven't seen yet.

I am not even sure he works hard consistently - I have seen him come on as a sub which some people say is his best use and he has run out of steam really quickly

He also seems worse when he has time to think and ends up doing nothing with the ball

But apart from that.....
    He's had 95 opportunities, although plenty as a sub i would have thought. If people haven't made their mind up on him (good or bad) then i wouldn't want to go shopping with any of them as they'd never leave the shop what with so much choice on offer!

Fair enough Bob, good enough reasons, although where i will disagree with you is when you talk about the team not showing up in an attacking sense, or front foot as you put it, in terms of the three players mentioned, but, in my opinion that's an excuse, decent footballers find a way to show us what they're about in my opinion, tney'll get the ball enough times during a game that shows us that they have something, it might not come off, but as supporters i think that we can recognise quality, even in a poor team with crap tactics, Nathan Blake didn't have that problem and he played in some awful City sides, we just knew that he was better than the others.
    I take your point, there are players who would rise above the sort of thing I talked about. I long ago came to the conclusion that, even if I had the ability, I didn’t have the mindset to succeed in football, but, when you consider the last three seasons at home, I think even super confident footballers would start to have doubts about playing at home. It seems reasonable to me that at least some of our players would be viewed more generously if we could have a season where we won, say, fourteen home games.

One thing I was encouraged by in Bulut’s press conference was that he singled out the need to improve our home record - I really do think it would make a huge difference.

I take your point, there are players who would rise above the sort of thing I talked about. I long ago came to the conclusion that, even if I had the ability, I didn’t have the mindset to succeed in football, but, when you consider the last three seasons at home, I think even super confident footballers would start to have doubts about playing at home. It seems reasonable to me that at least some of our players would be viewed more generously if we could have a season where we won, say, fourteen home games.

One thing I was encouraged by in Bulut’s press conference was that he singled out the need to improve our home record - I really do think it would make a huge difference.
    Fair shout Bob. I didn't have the ability or the mindset to succeed at football

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Maybe slightly better but not by much, giving him a new deal would mean we have 3 very average keepers on the books. We need better.