+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BBC Documentary, Once upon a time in Northern Ireland.

BBC Documentary, Once upon a time in Northern Ireland.

I’ve just binged watched this over the last couple of nights.

It was incredible.
    One of the most powerful thing I’ve watched in years.

It highlights the atrocities of the troubles from a point of view of several people on both sides in a brutally honest way.

Has anybody else seen it?

Re: BBC Documentary, Once upon a time in Northern Ireland.

I also binge-watched it - last week.

Very, very powerful, as you say. Not just from the different political and social viewpoints, but the way some of the people interviewed (not all) had changed their thinking over time.

It also brought back some memories. I was in Belfast the day Patsy O'Hara died on hunger strike. I could hear and smell it all again with the shots of women banging dustbin lids on pavements in the middle of demonstrations and army patrols.

For all its faults the BBC does make some excellent, 'must watch' documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I also binge-watched it - last week.

Very, very powerful, as you say. Not just from the different political and social viewpoints, but the way some of the people interviewed (not all) had changed their thinking over time.

It also brought back some memories. I was in Belfast the day Patsy O'Hara died on hunger strike. I could hear and smell it all again with the shots of women banging dustbin lids on pavements in the middle of demonstrations and army patrols.

For all its faults the BBC does make some excellent, 'must watch' documentaries.
    Absolutely.
    The way some people have “let things go” is remarkable.

Apart from deep sadness, I find it difficult to really express my other emotions watching it.
    It really moved me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

It was incredible.

It highlights the atrocities of the troubles from a point of view of several people on both sides in a brutally honest way.

Harrowing yet hopeful all at the same time.

The ordinariness of some of the paramilitary members was also unnerving. The indiscriminate victims and waste of life still gets to me.

Been to Belfast on a number of occasions on the rip. Its a great city but you can always feel it.

Binge watched it as well, excellent series. Wasn’t impressed at all by the admission of collusion, disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Binge watched it as well, excellent series. Wasn’t impressed at all by the admission of collusion, disgusting.
    Heartbreaking for the lad who recounted his did being murdered in the bookies.
    The cry that he let out was beyond sad.

Heartbreaking for the lad who recounted his did being murdered in the bookies.
    The cry that he let out was beyond sad.
    And to discover that the very troops that were brought over to protect actually supplied the weapons that killed his innocent dad, who was just having a bet. What a decent chap he was, God, I’d be so bitter.

It was incredible.

Yes harrowing.The chap who lost his eye sight is one of many tragedies.The Maimi show band van was hijacked by the IRA in 1973.3 members were murdered.If you were a fan of rory gallagher this book by his drummer is a must.growing up in N.I in the troubled and trying to earn a leaving as a musican is a must read.'Meet Mr Sticks' memoir of Brendan O'Neill.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Yes harrowing.The chap who lost his eye sight is one of many tragedies.The Maimi show band van was hijacked by the IRA in 1973.3 members were murdered.If you were a fan of rory gallagher this book by his drummer is a must.growing up in N.I in the troubled and trying to earn a leaving as a musican is a must read.'Meet Mr Sticks' memoir of Brendan O'Neill.
    Are you on drugs or something? The Miami Show Band were murdered by the Btitish Army and the UDF. Research some history for ****'s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Are you on drugs or something? The Miami Show Band were murdered by the Btitish Army and the UDF. Research some history for ****'s sake.
    Fair comment.They were still murdered in the Toubles.UDF /IRA All a bunch of murderers.
    You sound the kind of person that would be better suited to the other board.
    Nasty person.

Fair comment.They were still murdered in the Toubles.UDF /IRA All a bunch of murderers.
    Nasty person.
    Not intending to be nasty, just trying to put your wayward comment right.

Nasty person.
    To be fair it was a glaring error.