Must be gutting.

Re: Italian Clubs: Three European Finals

Who are the biggest Italian side ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Hard to say; Its between AC and Roma maybe

I always thought that Juve were the ‘plastics’ club in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Just read napoli have won the title for the first time since 1990

Just read napoli have won the title for the first time since 1990
    They pissed it, tremendous scenes in the city, Diego is a God there still.

Weird, I though if you underestimated the underdog Italians it was certain doom?

and three defeats.
    Good enough for them.

Must be Juventus (or AC Milan) but definitely not Roma.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Must be Juventus (or AC Milan) but definitely not Roma.
    I'd be pretty sure Inter would be considered 'bigger' as well, maybe Napoli as well.

All 3 Italian teams didn't have a lot of luck that's for sure.
    As for the biggest club, it's Juventus by some distance. Their home attendance is rarely the weekend highest and their stadium has a fairly modest capacity. Even within Turin they are probably only marginally more popular than Torino. However they have an incredible nationwide following. Similarly their worldwide appeal amongst people of Italian descent/origin is way bigger than any other club. For these people they are almost seen as a symbol of club football in Italy.
    After that both Milan teams have a similar sized following with Napoli probably on par these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    As for the biggest club, it's Juventus by some distance. Their home attendance is rarely the weekend highest and their stadium has a fairly modest capacity. Even within Turin they are probably only marginally more popular than Torino. However they have an incredible nationwide following. Similarly their worldwide appeal amongst people of Italian descent/origin is way bigger than any other club. For these people they are almost seen as a symbol of club football in Italy.
    After that both Milan teams have a similar sized following with Napoli probably on par these days.
    https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/i...-a/attendances

This seems to suggest the two Milan teams are well ahead of Napoli. I can't imagine Napoli have anywhere near the nationwide fan base those two will gather as well.

Of the three who were in the final, or in general?

In general, it must be Juventus but I don't understand the obsession with all this 'biggest club' that you keep coming back to.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Of the three who were in the final, or in general?

In general, it must be Juventus but I don't understand the obsession with all this 'biggest club' that you keep coming back to.
    In general

It appears its Juventus

I have no idea about your other point

After that both erMilan teams have a similar sized following with Napoli probably on par these days.
    The United and Liverpool of Italian football ......without the crowd dominance

Roma didn't deserve any luck playing that awful Mourinho style of fouling, play acting and intimidation.

Inter played well, in the loosest of terms, and their plan almost worked.

I didn't see the Fiorentina WH game so can't comment but I suspect, as with West Ham in the EPL, they are well down the pecking order in Serie A.

The Italian sides over the recent decades have become a poor second even third behind the Premiership & La Liga and their teams are littered with their cast-offs.

I'm not unhappy to see all three of their teams lose.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Roma didn't deserve any luck playing that awful Mourinho style of fouling, play acting and intimidation.

Inter played well, in the loosest of terms, and their plan almost worked.

I didn't see the Fiorentina WH game so can't comment but I suspect, as with West Ham in the EPL, they are well down the pecking order in Serie A.

The Italian sides over the recent decades have become a poor second even third behind the Premiership & La Liga and their teams are littered with their cast-offs.

I'm not unhappy to see all three of their teams lose.
    West Ham just put two banks of 4 in and sat there, if you thought Roma were negative they took it to a new level. 8 times out of 10 they lose that game

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/i...-a/attendances

This seems to suggest the two Milan teams are well ahead of Napoli. I can't imagine Napoli have anywhere near the nationwide fan base those two will gather as well.
    This was from a survey taken 3 years ago.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...italy-by-club/

I'm guessing the recent success of Napoli has increased their appeal. Juve clearly miles ahead of the pack

This was from a survey taken 3 years ago.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...italy-by-club/

I'm guessing the recent success of Napoli has increased their appeal. Juve clearly miles ahead of the pack
    Is that people who go to games ?

My mates old dear is a man United fan but she's never ever been

Does the same apply to juventus ?

If it does why have they got this appeal ?

Is that people who go to games ?

My mates old dear is a man United fan but she's never ever been

Does the same apply to juventus ?

If it does why have they got this appeal ?
    No, like I said previously their attendances are fairly moderate, around 40,000. Their ground only holds 43. The Milan Clubs and Napoli draw much bigger crowds. I'm guessing the survey is based on people who identify them as their favourite club plus fan clubs worldwide.

Popularity based on historical success when football had mass appeal post war to the 1960s. Although unlike Man Utd, Juventus have pretty much always been successful

A few years ago I started a thread showing (in my opinion), the 10 most famous clubs in Europe, listed either because of their success or just as important the magic their name conjures up. There were 3 Italian clubs; Juventus, AC Milan and Inter on the list.

For the record and in no particular order the other 7 were:
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Ajax
    Benfica

Funnily enough this list has not altered one bit in over 20 years, even though there are other teams like Chelsea, Porto, Dortmund etc that have been quite successful in this period. They just lack that bit of magic that the names of the above teams are able to convey. All subjective of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    A few years ago I started a thread showing (in my opinion), the 10 most famous clubs in Europe, listed either because of their success or just as important the magic their name conjures up. There were 3 Italian clubs; Juventus, AC Milan and Inter on the list.

For the record and in no particular order the other 7 were:
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Ajax
    Benfica

Funnily enough this list has not altered one bit in over 20 years, even though there are other teams like Chelsea, Porto, Dortmund etc that have been quite successful in this period. They just lack that bit of magic that the names of the above teams are able to convey. All subjective of course.
    I see kids in PSG shirts so I'm guessing they might be pushing to get in. That said all that outlay hasn't transferred to European success

No, like I said previously their attendances are fairly moderate, around 40,000. Their ground only holds 43. The Milan Clubs and Napoli draw much bigger crowds. I'm guessing the survey is based on people who identify them as their favourite club plus fan clubs worldwide.

Popularity based on historical success when football had mass appeal post war to the 1960s. Although unlike Man Utd, Juventus have pretty much always been successful
    Manchester United had that big support after the Munich Air disaster which was shocking

My old dear would look out for man United results but had no idea who the players were

Maybe juve had this sort of historical rump of support ?

The 1968 European Cup win and best etc gained them loads of fans

and three defeats.

Must be gutting.
    I don’t know HOW Inter got to the final. (well I do, but they aren’t a very good side)