Thread: Cycle and bus lanes between Cardiff and Newport

Cycle and bus lanes between Cardiff and Newport

Another brilliant idea from Him and his lot down the Bay

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...a48-fall-flat/

Re: Cycle and bus lanes between Cardiff and Newport

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Indeed, absolutely pathetic but do you expect anything different from those numpties ?

Buses only run every half hour at best and cyclists are not often seen in any numbers to warrant such major changes. Just more muddled thinking from those idiots down the bay.

We have a transport crisis so we need to do something

A relief road would destroy the gwent levels which are beautiful

Bike lanes ......worth considering but no good in the winter

We could put on more trains and buses between Cardiff and Newport etc but loads of people still prefer to drive .......

So unless people are legally prevented from using their car as much .......or at all .....and that's going to happen in 30 years

What else can we do ?

I'm a cyclist and know a few people who ride that route to work. As long as drivers along that route show respect to cyclists then there's no need for this amount of investment. If the government want to reduce car use along that route, then put more buses on test route with better connections at each end for more local routes.

I wouldn't necessarily blame "him" as it's happening in western aligned countries all around the world, so it's obviously being coordinated by a higher power.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm a cyclist and know a few people who ride that route to work. As long as drivers along that route show respect to cyclists then there's no need for this amount of investment. If the government want to reduce car use along that route, then put more buses on test route with better connections at each end for more local routes.
    Stop talking sense - this is CCMB!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily blame "him" as it's happening in western aligned countries all around the world, so it's obviously being coordinated by a higher power.
    It's that bloody Philip Schofield again isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    It's that bloody Philip Schofield again isn't it!
    Whoever it is they don't want people to have cars by the look of things.

Yes the drive for change is worldwide, that's a given, but putting these things into practice takes a lot of research and planning, something "him" and "his lot" seem incapable of doing properly.

The way cycle lanes and bus lanes have been implemented in the last few years, not just the city centre, has been nothing short of disastrous with poor road markings and roadworks all over the place.

If you cannot cycle, very impractical in many cases for many people, you have to get the bus or train.
    The bus timetables do not tie up with the times on the bus stops (I have experienced this and know from talking to a bus driver) and TfW have not made it clear to the public which bus goes where.
    Their trains are cancelled on a whim.
    You have to have the app for "live" timetables and many of the people who would use this service are elderly without the means to access and then use it.

If you want to get "large" or many things from your local shopping centre you have to take your car. There are residents parking areas and double yellow lines everywhere and you are forced to run the risk of being booked.
    The alternative is to drive to a superstore or an outlet using roads fit only for cycles and buses!

The guy is as incompetent as the worst members of the cabinet in the last decade and he seems untouchable.

Yes the drive for change is worldwide, that's a given, but putting these things into practice takes a lot of research and planning, something "him" and "his lot" seem incapable of doing properly.
    It's either incompetence, or besides not wanting people to have cars they also don't want them moving about. (Occam's razor).

Here it is

Even with better metro links and the assassination of Drakeford.......

Unless forced .......most people even with a train line or bus stop outside their house will find an excuse to drive

And that's it

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You can increase bus and train provision but unless you have a true metro system ......the tube in London, the metro in tyneside the effects will be negligible

The most popular of the three plans ? According to the survey that's the one that has the least effect on car provision

Well that's a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Here it is

Even with better metro links and the assassination of Drakeford.......

Unless forced .......most people even with a train line or bus stop outside their house will find an excuse to drive

And that's it
    I think you are right.

Driving a car, although is a necessary for some, is pleasurable to many.

It's either incompetence, or besides not wanting people to have cars they also don't want them moving about. (Occam's razor).
    It's both.

All for improving public transport. Would be good to get some segregated busways in if possible, and get these additional train stations built.

I personally think a lot of these bike lanes are bollocks. Just can't see cycling ever being a viable way of commuting for many. The cycle lanes only really seem to be of benefit to recreational cyclists and local authority box tickers

London, Pontcanna, Cardiff Bay... Filled with people who are able to spend their lives without using a car. For the rest, we've got to accept that eventually we'll be either taxed, tolled, or physically prevented from using them. When I think of a typical day I might have just around Cardiff - drive to supermarket, and back. Up to B&Q, then to see my grandson, then back home. Impossible on bike or public transport, but if I just needed to go to those places and not have to bring or take anything, it would take a whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    All for improving public transport. Would be good to get some segregated busways in if possible, and get these additional train stations built.
    Public transport is great if it's going where you want to when you want to, and you're not transporting anything.

Whoever it is they don't want people to have cars by the look of things.
    Him doesn’t drive does he?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Him doesn’t drive does he?
    There are always exceptions for those who make the rules.

We could put on more trains and buses between Cardiff and Newport etc but loads of people still prefer to drive .......
    When I lived in Canton about 12 years ago Newport Bus started running their X30 direct service between Cardiff and Newport via the M4 every 15 or 20 minutes, I forget which. It is now one an hour and has been for a few years now.

From Merthyr/Ponty to Cardiff down the A470, Stagecoach trialled running their X4 every 10 minutes. The X4 has gone and the only direct services are half hourly in the WG subsidised Traws Cymru network.

First Cymru trialled a direct service into Cardiff from Maesteg/Bridgend and down the M4. It lasted a year.

You can't say bus operators haven't been willing to give rapid transport to Cardiff a go, but it's simply not been profitable enough and not had good enough patronage. It's a vicious circle - when passenger numbers fall, operators eventually have to reduce frequency on that route. When the frequency is reduced, passenger numbers drop again.

With all of those routes listed above, there are alternatives, albeit slower ones. Between Ponty and Cardiff there's the 132, which goes through Treforest estate, Taffs Well, Tongwynlais, Whitchurch and into Cardiff. That's not particularly appealing for those commuting into Cardiff but those routes make much more money for operators as passengers are regularly getting on and off, often for shortish journeys. Routes like the X30, X4 etc might have a decent load but they'll go for miles without picking up passengers. These days, most bus users have free bus passes, which reimburse operators at a pitiful level and would pay the same to go from Merthyr to Cardiff as they do from Cardiff to Grangetown.

Whose fault is this? Most of it boils down to deregulation, where independant operators run them for profit, not for passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When I lived in Canton about 12 years ago Newport Bus started running their X30 direct service between Cardiff and Newport via the M4 every 15 or 20 minutes, I forget which. It is now one an hour and has been for a few years now.

From Merthyr/Ponty to Cardiff down the A470, Stagecoach trialled running their X4 every 10 minutes. The X4 has gone and the only direct services are half hourly in the WG subsidised Traws Cymru network.

First Cymru trialled a direct service into Cardiff from Maesteg/Bridgend and down the M4. It lasted a year.

You can't say bus operators haven't been willing to give rapid transport to Cardiff a go, but it's simply not been profitable enough and not had good enough patronage. It's a vicious circle - when passenger numbers fall, operators eventually have to reduce frequency on that route. When the frequency is reduced, passenger numbers drop again.

With all of those routes listed above, there are alternatives, albeit slower ones. Between Ponty and Cardiff there's the 132, which goes through Treforest estate, Taffs Well, Tongwynlais, Whitchurch and into Cardiff. That's not particularly appealing for those commuting into Cardiff but those routes make much more money for operators as passengers are regularly getting on and off, often for shortish journeys. Routes like the X30, X4 etc might have a decent load but they'll go for miles without picking up passengers. These days, most bus users have free bus passes, which reimburse operators at a pitiful level and would pay the same to go from Merthyr to Cardiff as they do from Cardiff to Grangetown.

Whose fault is this? Most of it boils down to deregulation, where independant operators run them for profit, not for passengers.
    Essentially I think it's a mixture of poor transport planning , geology and lack of train lines in some densely populated areas ........Ely, llanrhumney , St Mellons.....no train service and people liking the independence of having a car

For a lot of leisure pursuits public transport is a complete waste of time

Essentially I think it's a mixture of poor transport planning , geology and lack of train lines in some densely populated areas ........Ely, llanrhumney , St Mellons.....no train service and people liking the independence of having a car

For a lot of leisure pursuits public transport is a complete waste of time
    I have been in current job only 5 months, almost impossible to get to on public transport but am totally fked off with almost 2 hours on my day driving, have now started looking to get back to the City and a location easily gettable via a bus or train, until i can no longer drive I'll have a car, but i do try and use public transport whenever i can. It is poorly utilised by the public but its a poor service, it's chicken and egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I have been in current job only 5 months, almost impossible to get to on public transport but am totally fked off with almost 2 hours on my day driving, have now started looking to get back to the City and a location easily gettable via a bus or train, until i can no longer drive I'll have a car, but i do try and use public transport whenever i can. It is poorly utilised by the public but its a poor service, it's chicken and egg.
    There needs to be a public transport revolution. It needs to be funded through taxation and either no payment or incredibly cheap to use with an almost constant flow of buses, trains etc. It would take years to implement and even longer to convince people of the benefits, a complete culture change that the public would need to get on. Problem is that ir wouldn't be a popular policy amongst certain groups of people and the media.

I only really drive for work, because my vehicle is my office. If i could hop on and off public transport at a very cheap cost, then i would. I hate driving and the responsibility of a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There needs to be a public transport revolution. It needs to be funded through taxation and either no payment or incredibly cheap to use with an almost constant flow of buses, trains etc. It would take years to implement and even longer to convince people of the benefits, a complete culture change that the public would need to get on. Problem is that ir wouldn't be a popular policy amongst certain groups of people and the media.

I only really drive for work, because my vehicle is my office. If i could hop on and off public transport at a very cheap cost, then i would. I hate driving and the responsibility of a vehicle.
    In RCT all buses were free in March. My understanding is that it did little to raise passenger numbers.