+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cycle and bus lanes between Cardiff and Newport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cycle and bus lanes between Cardiff and Newport

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    All for improving public transport. Would be good to get some segregated busways in if possible, and get these additional train stations built.

I personally think a lot of these bike lanes are bollocks. Just can't see cycling ever being a viable way of commuting for many. The cycle lanes only really seem to be of benefit to recreational cyclists and local authority box tickers
    A station at St Mellons was announced over 30 years ago - not a brick in sight yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When I lived in Canton about 12 years ago Newport Bus started running their X30 direct service between Cardiff and Newport via the M4 every 15 or 20 minutes, I forget which. It is now one an hour and has been for a few years now.

From Merthyr/Ponty to Cardiff down the A470, Stagecoach trialled running their X4 every 10 minutes. The X4 has gone and the only direct services are half hourly in the WG subsidised Traws Cymru network.

First Cymru trialled a direct service into Cardiff from Maesteg/Bridgend and down the M4. It lasted a year.

You can't say bus operators haven't been willing to give rapid transport to Cardiff a go, but it's simply not been profitable enough and not had good enough patronage. It's a vicious circle - when passenger numbers fall, operators eventually have to reduce frequency on that route. When the frequency is reduced, passenger numbers drop again.

With all of those routes listed above, there are alternatives, albeit slower ones. Between Ponty and Cardiff there's the 132, which goes through Treforest estate, Taffs Well, Tongwynlais, Whitchurch and into Cardiff. That's not particularly appealing for those commuting into Cardiff but those routes make much more money for operators as passengers are regularly getting on and off, often for shortish journeys. Routes like the X30, X4 etc might have a decent load but they'll go for miles without picking up passengers. These days, most bus users have free bus passes, which reimburse operators at a pitiful level and would pay the same to go from Merthyr to Cardiff as they do from Cardiff to Grangetown.

Whose fault is this? Most of it boils down to deregulation, where independant operators run them for profit, not for passengers.
    Essentially I think it's a mixture of poor transport planning , geology and lack of train lines in some densely populated areas ........Ely, llanrhumney , St Mellons.....no train service and people liking the independence of having a car

For a lot of leisure pursuits public transport is a complete waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Essentially I think it's a mixture of poor transport planning , geology and lack of train lines in some densely populated areas ........Ely, llanrhumney , St Mellons.....no train service and people liking the independence of having a car

For a lot of leisure pursuits public transport is a complete waste of time
    I have been in current job only 5 months, almost impossible to get to on public transport but am totally fked off with almost 2 hours on my day driving, have now started looking to get back to the City and a location easily gettable via a bus or train, until i can no longer drive I'll have a car, but i do try and use public transport whenever i can. It is poorly utilised by the public but its a poor service, it's chicken and egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I have been in current job only 5 months, almost impossible to get to on public transport but am totally fked off with almost 2 hours on my day driving, have now started looking to get back to the City and a location easily gettable via a bus or train, until i can no longer drive I'll have a car, but i do try and use public transport whenever i can. It is poorly utilised by the public but its a poor service, it's chicken and egg.
    There needs to be a public transport revolution. It needs to be funded through taxation and either no payment or incredibly cheap to use with an almost constant flow of buses, trains etc. It would take years to implement and even longer to convince people of the benefits, a complete culture change that the public would need to get on. Problem is that ir wouldn't be a popular policy amongst certain groups of people and the media.

I only really drive for work, because my vehicle is my office. If i could hop on and off public transport at a very cheap cost, then i would. I hate driving and the responsibility of a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There needs to be a public transport revolution. It needs to be funded through taxation and either no payment or incredibly cheap to use with an almost constant flow of buses, trains etc. It would take years to implement and even longer to convince people of the benefits, a complete culture change that the public would need to get on. Problem is that ir wouldn't be a popular policy amongst certain groups of people and the media.

I only really drive for work, because my vehicle is my office. If i could hop on and off public transport at a very cheap cost, then i would. I hate driving and the responsibility of a vehicle.
    In RCT all buses were free in March. My understanding is that it did little to raise passenger numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

You live in a big city with trains and buses

For some in say parts of the valleys there is one train an hour and it takes over an hour ...into central or queen Street

You can see why say in the winter a woman whose office offers a car park would prefer to drive to work ?

I agree with you that the transport system in Cardiff and its metropolitan area needs massive investment but its the same in Bristol, Leeds , Birmingham etc

Encouraging people to use public transport needs firstly lots of investment and secondly a realisation that people outside of the big urban centres have already relied on a mix of a poor bus or train service and the car

Even parts of Cardiff have no train service

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I'm gonna drive forever

I'm gonna learn how to fly

International

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Another brilliant idea from Him and his lot down the Bay

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...a48-fall-flat/
    Be handy mind, I might fancy cycling there once a year or so!

And I can do more than 20 mph without getting a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    And still the thickos will vote for Drakeford and not criticise.
    I hope drakeford steps down ASAP but the alternative is another labour leader or the conservatives

And there is no way Wales will vote for the fat conservative to run the country

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Let's take advantage of covid and boost the economy.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    A station at St Mellons was announced over 30 years ago - not a brick in sight yet.
    Cardiff Parkway should have been nearly finished by now. Private money in place to build it, Cardiff council approved it and are fully behind it. Welsh government called it in for planning and it's now indefinitely delayed. They're a bloody shambles tbf

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Cardiff Parkway should have been nearly finished by now. Private money in place to build it, Cardiff council approved it and are fully behind it. Welsh government called it in for planning and it's now indefinitely delayed. They're a bloody shambles tbf
    Unless the ground is not suitable for laying tracks there should be no reason why St Mellons, llanrhumney, llanederyn shouldn't have train links

And Ely?

Fairwater has so why not Ely ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Unless the ground is not suitable for laying tracks there should be no reason why St Mellons, llanrhumney, llanederyn shouldn't have train links

And Ely?

Fairwater has so why not Ely ?
    The main SWales-London line goes past St Mellons, so no reason why a small spur can't be laid for a station, other than the powers that be twiddling their fingers and dragging their feet.

Had a leaflet through the door today to take part in a survey.
    It was heavily biased towards giving the WAG the power to put in lanes to restrict cars in favour of busses, cycles and walking.

It only had a QR code, so alienated all those people who don't have a smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The main SWales-London line goes past St Mellons, so no reason why a small spur can't be laid for a station, other than the powers that be twiddling their fingers and dragging their feet.

Had a leaflet through the door today to take part in a survey.
    It was heavily biased towards giving the WAG the power to put in lanes to restrict cars in favour of busses, cycles and walking.

It only had a QR code, so alienated all those people who don't have a smartphone.
    The idea of using public transport more is great but it needs to be well funded

You could soon get fined for driving down this Cardiff road without a permit

CCTV cameras will monitor and enforce the gate, with a £70 fine issued to drivers who travel through the section of Crystal Glen without a digital permit.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...iving-27111122