+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish Lira

Turkish Lira

Picked some up today for the coming trip, think I’ll have to take an extra case for it

Re: Turkish Lira

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Picked some up today for the coming trip, think I’ll have to take an extra case for it
    I was a miilionaire just after entering Uzbekistan last month. A million Som, the local currency, was the equivalent of just under £70.

5 Lira to the pound five years ago. 30 now!

Mate of mine has just come back from Turkey. No longer cheap there. £5 a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Like everywhere, depends where you go but can be much cheaper. It's mental how high their inflation is though and that Erdogan somehow got through that

Do you need cash there? Can't remember the last time I took cash abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is that just general inflation, resorts taking the mick or taxes on alcohol?

Should have booked a holiday to turkey rather than Croatia..

I was in Kyrenia two weeks ago and I paid the equivalent of 8 quid for a meal and 3 pints at a city centre bar/restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Do you need cash there? Can't remember the last time I took cash abroad.
    Most places prefer it in my experience. Mainly because unlike many Brits they don't like giving a cut of every transaction to a middleman, and rightly so.

My brother just came back from Alanya yesterday. Took 240 lira with him and spent 20 lira. They wouldn't accept it in the shops only pounds and euros. Madness

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    My brother just came back from Alanya yesterday. Took 240 lira with him and spent 20 lira. They wouldn't accept it in the shops only pounds and euros. Madness
    Talking to the chap where I collect my foreign currency from and he said it is a bit of a problem in some parts of Turkey. But the other problem is that you pay with Euros, pounds or dollars and it’s not the exact amount for what you’re buying you’ll get a pile of lira as change that you’re lumbered with. Also it is the correct amount of change.

Talking to the chap where I collect my foreign currency from and he said it is a bit of a problem in some parts of Turkey. But the other problem is that you pay with Euros, pounds or dollars and it’s not the exact amount for what you’re buying you’ll get a pile of lira as change that you’re lumbered with. Also it is the correct amount of change.
    As they accept all major currency rather than their own you constantly need a calculator to work out what you’re actually paying in £.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Croatia is my favourite country and almost completed it - if it’s your first visit then it won’t be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Croatia is my favourite country and almost completed it - if it’s your first visit then it won’t be your last.
    I could not agree with you more. It’s a wonderful “untapped” country. Some of the movie screens biggest actors and actresses actually own property there. Like yourself, we’ve seen a fair bit ,( Hvar being one of our favourite destinations) and would have gone back to Dubrovnik, had EasyJet not cancelled the flights. I am sure we’ll be making an effort to go back there in the not too distant future.

How do you complete Croatia?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Been 4 times and seen to most of main touristy bits.
    Only the Plitvice Lakes and Zagreb I haven’t been.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    But we aren’t playing Croatia this weekend

International

Probably paying Erol in lira, he thought it was sterling

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Slobodan Milosevic had a good go at it.

Friend of mine went to the Champions League final and said Istanbul was surprisingly expensive, where we will be spending the majority of our time. I would guess Samsun is a little more reasonable, though they have been hit by serious flooding in recent weeks.

Don't know the going rate for a dinghy to the game!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Friend of mine went to the Champions League final and said Istanbul was surprisingly expensive, where we will be spending the majority of our time. I would guess Samsun is a little more reasonable, though they have been hit by serious flooding in recent weeks.

Don't know the going rate for a dinghy to the game!

I s’pose any major tourist city charges more than lesser visited areas. I’ll just go with the flow.......as seems the way in Samsun

The Venice of the East apparently. Water taxi for Mr Parker. I'm just glad I booked a hotel on the high ground!

Been 4 times and seen to most of main touristy bits.
    Only the Plitvice Lakes and Zagreb I haven’t been.
    Leaving Mostar in the morning, heading to Zadar for a few day & then onto Plitvice. Croatians complaining about rapidly rising costs since they fully joined the EU In January

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Leaving Mostar in the morning, heading to Zadar for a few day & then onto Plitvice. Croatians complaining about rapidly rising costs since they fully joined the EU In January
    Think they joined the Euro rather than the EU. When we did the Wales game earlier in the year flew back and fore into Dubrovnik before driving up and down to Split. Fantastic scenery. Bit jealous you made it to Mostar on the way! If you have the chance stop off in Trogdir on the way to Zadar, if you are by-passing Split!