+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Tyler leaves Sky sports

Martin Tyler leaves Sky sports

Can't deny he has had a very long career. Crazy to hear his commentary on The Big Match and still commentating now.
    Seems a bit of a marmite commentator to many though.

https://news.sky.com/story/martin-ty...years-12904154

Re: Martin Tyler leaves Sky sports

Thank **** for that

I always detested his commentary. I'd always turn the sound off whenever he was on. Now if only BT could get rid of Ian Darke

Never much of a favourite of mine, I wonder if they'll bring in someone from outside to replace him - not sure who Sky's first reserve commentator is really.

I watched the Wales 'highlights' (?) this morning.

Co-commentator was Dean Saunders. He can save himself a few quid and never applying to join MENSA.

Dull as dogshiit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Co-commentator was Dean Saunders. He can save himself a few quid and never applying to join MENSA.

Dull as dogshiit.
    He was the Wales equivalent of Steve McLaren on the England Iceland game

Does that mean it's finally an end to that dire

Aaaand iiiiits liiiiiive

Tyler used to be a good commentator, but he should have packed it in years ago.

It seems that Sky Sports are having a bit of a clear out. Quite a few of the Soccer Saturday reporters are being let go as well apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    He was the Wales equivalent of Steve McLaren on the England Iceland game
    Dean Saunders comments as co-commentator made me switch off and watch the S4C coverage instead, he was awful , cliched and useless analyser

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Dean Saunders comments as co-commentator made me switch off and watch the S4C coverage instead, he was awful , cliched and useless analyser
    His drink driving antics were amusing , if nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Dull as dogshiit.
    Piss artist

This is nothing to do with MT but what a staggering band Kool and The Gang were

You miserable bunch. I thought he was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    I don't think I have ever enjoyed any football commentary

Peter Jones was supposed to be top of the tree way back when but I find them all a bit too verbose and over dramatic

More departures:

A number of popular reporters will leave Sky Sports as part of a cost-cutting exercise - including some from Soccer Saturday.

The biggest name to face the chop is legendary interviewer Geoff Shreeves, who has reportedly been asked to take a hefty salary reduction to keep his job. Shreeves has been a key member of Sky Sports' reporting team since the Premier League launched in 1992.

Several stars have left Sky Sports in recent months, including Soccer Saturday presenter Jeff Stelling and the show's lead reporter Chris Kamara. Popular pundit Graeme Souness also said goodbye to the broadcaster at the end of the season just gone.

Sky Sports announced their latest departure on Saturday morning, with iconic broadcaster Martin Tyler stepping down after 33 years with the company. Tyler has been described as 'The Voice' of the Premier League, such is his status in the English game.

As reported by the Daily Mail, Shreeves is considering his future with Sky Sports. He will be entitled to a large redundancy package after working for the company for more than three decades and is expected to receive lucrative offers from rival broadcasters.

It's claimed six of Sky Sports' 13-strong football reporting team will leave the company: Guy Havord, Dickie Davis, Bianca Westwood, Greg Whelan, Lynsey Hooper and Jaydee Dyer. Emma Saunders, David Craig, Patrick Davidson, Jonathan Oakes, Johnny Phillips and Luke Shanley will all stay on board heading into the new Premier League campaign.

Sky sacking Tyler is terrific news. I couldn’t bear his attempts to force his narrative upon the viewer, even more so his cringing “and its live” catchphrase. Long overdue, good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    More departures:

A number of popular reporters will leave Sky Sports as part of a cost-cutting exercise - including some from Soccer Saturday.

The biggest name to face the chop is legendary interviewer Geoff Shreeves, who has reportedly been asked to take a hefty salary reduction to keep his job. Shreeves has been a key member of Sky Sports' reporting team since the Premier League launched in 1992.

Several stars have left Sky Sports in recent months, including Soccer Saturday presenter Jeff Stelling and the show's lead reporter Chris Kamara. Popular pundit Graeme Souness also said goodbye to the broadcaster at the end of the season just gone.

Sky Sports announced their latest departure on Saturday morning, with iconic broadcaster Martin Tyler stepping down after 33 years with the company. Tyler has been described as 'The Voice' of the Premier League, such is his status in the English game.

As reported by the Daily Mail, Shreeves is considering his future with Sky Sports. He will be entitled to a large redundancy package after working for the company for more than three decades and is expected to receive lucrative offers from rival broadcasters.

It's claimed six of Sky Sports' 13-strong football reporting team will leave the company: Guy Havord, Dickie Davis, Bianca Westwood, Greg Whelan, Lynsey Hooper and Jaydee Dyer. Emma Saunders, David Craig, Patrick Davidson, Jonathan Oakes, Johnny Phillips and Luke Shanley will all stay on board heading into the new Premier League campaign.
    A lot of those names I've never heard of.
    Liked Bianca Westwood though.

The world keeps on spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A lot of those names I've never heard of.
    Liked Bianca Westwood though.

The world keeps on spinning.
    Jaydee Dyer was very good imo.

Swear he had died, still banging on about him on TalkSPORT this morning. Last night on Perry Groves show they were taking calls from the public to share any Matin Tyler anecdotes ffs

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Never much of a favourite of mine, I wonder if they'll bring in someone from outside to replace him - not sure who Sky's first reserve commentator is really.
    Peter Drury coming in to replace him. Decent choice, good wordsmith, unlucky to be second to Clive Tyldesley at ITV. He's been the lead commentator on the Premier League's world feed (the pictures with English commentary they sell to other countries to show) for several seasons and won awards for his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    He was still old school, let the pictures do the talking while having impeccable timing. Says a lot that he was still Sky's lead commentator after 3 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Sky sacking Tyler is terrific news. I couldn’t bear his attempts to force his narrative upon the viewer, even more so his cringing “and its live” catchphrase. Long overdue, good riddance.
    Sky haven't sacked Tyler at all. Tyler missed a few weeks at the end of last season due to poor health and, at the age of 77, I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided to call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sky haven't sacked Tyler at all. Tyler missed a few weeks at the end of last season due to poor health and, at the age of 77, I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided to call it a day.
    It's been widely reported that he's not retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Peter Drury coming in to replace him. Decent choice, good wordsmith, unlucky to be second to Clive Tyldesley at ITV. He's been the lead commentator on the Premier League's world feed (the pictures with English commentary they sell to other countries to show) for several seasons and won awards for his work.
    Peter Drury is another I can't stand, the same as John Champion; they've got voices more suited to commentating on Show jumping rather than football.

I really can't remember when we last had a good one, all the way back to the best I suppose - David Coleman. Brian Moore was one of the better ones and I also liked Tony Gubba, Dave Farrah and Alan Parry.

However, few visual commentators come anywhere close to the radio commentators; no verbal diarrhea nor superfluous badenage from them and they were always exciting as opposed to Martin Tyler and Peter Drury who would send a caffeine addict safely to sleep. Peter Jones was probably the best.