+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary O'Neil sacked

International

Gary O'Neil sacked

Not a surprise I suppose they'll want a name, did a great job though!

New Manager later today, some reports say.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...eague-survival

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-survival.html

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...th-head-coach/

Re: Gary O'Neil sacked

Little sympathy for the guy himself after his strange comments against the welsh players at the last international break.
    However struggling to see just what more Bournemouth were hoping to achieve so also think it's very harsh on the guy despite those comments

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Not a surprise I suppose they'll want a name, did a great job though!

New Manager later today, some reports say.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...eague-survival

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-survival.html

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...th-head-coach/
    That appears harsh. It does read like they're getting rid of O'Neil so they can recruit players?

I would've thought Bournemouth would've been happy with last seasons 15th place and if offered the chance to achieve it again this coming season would gratefully accept?

He should be OK though for employment as Scott Parker never appears to be out of a job, nor Frank Lampard for that matter.

I am amazed at football these days

I hope they go down now silly entitled twats

It does seem very harsh but at the same time if they are looking to invest heavily on players then I can understand them wanting to make sure they have the right manager in place.

I often wonder if we had replaced Malky with a more experienced premiership manager (which would have been harsh) where we would be now.

International

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It does seem very harsh but at the same time if they are looking to invest heavily on players then I can understand them wanting to make sure they have the right manager in place.

I often wonder if we had replaced Malky with a more experienced premiership manager (which would have been harsh) where we would be now.
    Good point and Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Good point and Warnock.
    Yeah I was going to say Warnock as well and agree but the huge budget Malky has makes me think we could have really pushed on with a proven manager that season. Swings and roundabouts, I guess if that happened we could still be in the Prem but in Red.

When Malky got sacked, weren't City above the relegation spots? I seem to remember they were?

What about replacing Warnock when he took City up?

Warnock had never successfully kept a club in the Premier League.

Cruel in a thankless modern game , someone has been tapped up with connections is my bet , always wondered how they avoided FFP with a 12k stadium perhaps the Russian born Swiss resident , and now the USA money backers have the answers .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cruel in a thankless modern game , someone has been tapped up with connections is my bet , always wondered how they avoided FFP with a 12k stadium perhaps the Russian born Swiss resident , and now the USA money backers have the answers .
    They wouldn't had they stayed in the championship any length of time but promotions let them off

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    When Malky got sacked, weren't City above the relegation spots? I seem to remember they were?

Last but five I seem to remember. To the person who asked where we’d be now if we’d appointed a more experienced manager after our first promotion, there’s no way of saying for sure, but my guess, based on how our owner has behaved over the past dozen years or so, is much the same position as we are now.

As for O’Neil, he did a great job and I hope the Bournemouth Board now get what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Yes, but from memory it was being reported that Malky had the biggest transfer budget a promoted team had ever had. IMO Malky was taking us into the relegation zone at a rapid pace but no one knows if he would or wouldn’t have kept us up. I just think with that budget a better manager could have built a better squad, probably got in that striker we were so desperate for instead of a project. I also think the wasted money that season was the start of the change in how Tan viewed his money being spent on players and his trust issues with managers.

As above I agree about Warnock also however I think a proven manager was more likely to have taken over a promoted club with a huge budget other than what Warnock had to spend.

I do agree tho both should have been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last but five I seem to remember. To the person who asked where we’d be now if we’d appointed a more experienced manager after our first promotion, there’s no way of saying for sure, but my guess, based on how our owner has behaved over the past dozen or so, is much the same position as we are now.
    Yes you could be right but I think a lot of Tans issues stem from that season. If we had done well would he have continued to invest and got hooked. More than likely it would have delayed the inevitable but it does make me wonder.

A baffling decision, when the season ended weeks ago.
    Maybe there would’ve been additional compensation due if they’d done it before.

Yes you could be right but I think a lot of Tans issues stem from that season. If we had done well would he have continued to invest and got hooked. More than likely it would have delayed the inevitable but it does make me wonder.
    I agree that his distrust of “football men” can be traced back to that season. However, the experience gained through all of Tan’s time here together with how stacks of clubs of around our size have managed to establish themselves in the Premier League for a few seasons at least by using the sort of recruitment practices Tan still says he won’t entertain should have told him that there was a better way of going about things - instead, he has ignored what has happened at, for example, Brighton, Palace, Brentford, Leicester, Etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    A baffling decision, when the season ended weeks ago.
    Maybe there would’ve been additional compensation due if they’d done it before.
    They're appointing Iraola. That's why they've waited.

It is harsh but I bet this will turn out to be a good decision.

International

Yeah I was going to say Warnock as well and agree but the huge budget Malky has makes me think we could have really pushed on with a proven manager that season. Swings and roundabouts, I guess if that happened we could still be in the Prem but in Red.
    Yes, I think Southampton were in trouble that season and from memory and got RALPH HASENHÜTTL, and he kept them up and they kicked on?

Took what was arguably the weakest and definitely one of the 3 weakest teams in the division from dead and buried to comfortably staying up - absolutely bizarre decision.

The latest sign that American businessmen used to how franchises work have no idea how football works. Suspect he will spent big this summer and they will end up a lot worse than 15th next year.

International

We can't accuse them of being complacent, they've acted quickly, even ruthlessly, and been very decisive, let's see how it works out.

I’m sure I read somewhere, that he lost 14 games on the trot out in Cyprus before being sacked

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’m sure I read somewhere, that he lost 14 games on the trot out in Cyprus before being sacked
    His Wikipedia entry says he went two months without a win at a club we played in the Cup Winners Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andoni_Iraola

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Took what was arguably the weakest and definitely one of the 3 weakest teams in the division from dead and buried to comfortably staying up - absolutely bizarre decision.

The latest sign that American businessmen used to how franchises work have no idea how football works. Suspect he will spent big this summer and they will end up a lot worse than 15th next year.

Here's hoping.

International

If he was Welsh he'd have had a new job by now