+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 7 years ago today

7 years ago today

We beat Russia 3 - 0 and at the time I said it was the best Welsh performance I had ever seen ( little did I know Belgium were just around the corner )

Rambo was on fire

Re: 7 years ago today

Definitely the best Welsh performance I have seen. An absolute masterclass.

And we forget that Russia were favourites and a win would have taken them over us and we'd have been out. I remember hoping for a draw before it started!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We beat Russia 3 - 0 and at the time I said it was the best Welsh performance I had ever seen ( little did I know Belgium were just around the corner )

Rambo was on fire
    They were all in their prime, even Ashley Williams a rock at the back….don’t think we will see times that good again for a long while

We were brilliant that game, literally battered them.

Great result and then we found out at full time that we’d won the group!

Watching the city and Wales it's very rare that you know you are going to win a match after only twenty minutes play but I still remember that feeling in Toulouse that night...... Magical

That day was only bettered when I got back from France and found that my mate had a spare ticket for the Belgium game...so I had to beg for more time of work and go back

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Watching the city and Wales it's very rare that you know you are going to win a match after only twenty minutes play but I still remember that feeling in Toulouse that night...... Magical
    We got Northern Ireland which wasn’t easy….is that when England got humiliated by Iceland? God that tournament was good

I was there with my dad and had accidentally got absolutely steaming.
    I can still remember a lot of it though and the atmosphere was just stunning. I think it helped that it was the first night match at the tournament for us.

I had to keep asking my dad what the score was because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

I was there for that game. Tremendous day. Ramsey was at it hammer and tongs. Hot day too.

Yes, exactly what me my brother and boys thought too, you knew 20 minutes or so in we were going to win , we were so on top of our game, magical night

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    I was there with my dad and had accidentally got absolutely steaming.
    I can still remember a lot of it though and the atmosphere was just stunning. I think it helped that it was the first night match at the tournament for us.

I had to keep asking my dad what the score was because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
    How do you get "accidentally absolutely steaming"?

That story Chris Coleman tells about how Chris Gunter told him to relax and enjoy the game says it all about that match - we could have beaten Portugal with Ramsey and Davies available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How do you get "accidentally absolutely steaming"?
    It happens, get carried away in the occasion. That was a great couple of days and nights in Toulouse!
    Had an early train to Nice the following day, that was a rough journey but worth it.

This is my recollection of that night too... totally bricking it and then after 15-20 it was clear we were going to absolutely boss it, from there one of the best atmospheres ever experience, just a total party. Unfortunately I'd been really ill the couple of days before in Toulouse but managed to have a few drinks after, just brilliant memories.

Can't believe it was 7 years ago mind! Great tournament , that Russia match almost felt too easy. Unbelievable times

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    It happens, get carried away in the occasion. That was a great couple of days and nights in Toulouse!
    Had an early train to Nice the following day, that was a rough journey but worth it.
    But it's hardly involuntary, it's by design. You know at a certain point that you've had enough, but you make the decision to carry on nevertheless until you're absolutely steaming drunk. It's not by accident over a period of many hours.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That story Chris Coleman tells about how Chris Gunter told him to relax and enjoy the game says it all about that match - we could have beaten Portugal with Ramsey and Davies available.

The perfect performance. A great day.

What was nice with that day was being in the square in Toulouse. Welsh everywhere. Russians trundle in to the square and things looked a little terse for a few minutes, not knowing which way the mood would sing. Welsh fans (unlike if it was England) from the pub we were in on the corner of the square went over and bought them a round of vodka. They shook hands and bought a round back. None of us could understand that they were saying but they made the effort to enjoy what we all had in common and could understand - a good appreciation for a round of drinks.

We were behind the goal half way up and "Don't take me home, please don't take me home..." was being hammered out that day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Could Gunter be a Welsh manager of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Rambo was on fire
    Is Beef still around?. We almost got intimate during that game

Just watched "Don't take me home". Never made it to the Euros. Still at work then. What a superb watch. Hair raising. Literally. And may have brought a tear to the eye. Happy, happy days.
    Best quote from that programme. "Don't xxxxing pass the ball Christopher"!