+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Embarrassing

Embarrassing

So used to paying as you go in Cardiff, buy a pint, pay for it, buy the next one, pay for it. Just got chased up the road in Istanbul, “Sir, sir you have not paid”. Walked out of the pub completely forgetting to square up the evening’s bar bill. I think I broke the world apologising record, my missus outside pissing herself laughing. Got to walk past there in the morning, we’re fronting it up and going to buy a drink that we won’t even want with a large tip!!!!!

Re: Embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    So used to paying as you go in Cardiff, buy a pint, pay for it, buy the next one, pay for it. Just got chased up the road in Istanbul, “Sir, sir you have not paid”. Walked out of the pub completely forgetting to square up the evening’s bar bill. I think I broke the world apologising record, my missus outside pissing herself laughing. Got to walk past there in the morning, we’re fronting it up and going to buy a drink that we won’t even want with a large tip!!!!!
    You can take the Boy out of Splott...

Never mind it was worth a try 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Never mind it was worth a try ��
    If it wasn’t for them pesky kids!!!!……. He was only about 18, the one that caught me up

I used to do it from time-to-time in my first few years in China.
    In fact, after nearly 17 years of living here, I still wake up some mornings and ask myself... "Did I walk out without paying the bar bill last night"?
    Luckily, since I haven't used cash to pay for anything for about the last 5 years (I use an app on my phone to pay for things) I can easily check whether or not I had paid.

It reminds me of the last time I left a restaurant here and forgot to pay...

I was with a mate who had also been living in China for a few years, and was therefore also used to the routine of settling the bill afterwards.
    We go outside, we're just about to pull away on my motorbike when a staff member follows us and reminds us that we hadn't paid.
    Red-faced, I quickly get off the bike and put it on the kick-stand.
    As I'm using my phone to pay, I hear a crash, I looked around to find the bike had toppled over on top of my friend!

We couldn't get away quick enough!

For efes sake

I’ve done that on more than one occasion here after being back in Wales for a few weeks.

The only times I have been on the wall of shame (check is posted on a wall until it’s paid) at my local bar.

I was taking comfort for the replies on here although on opening her eyes this morning she comes out with, “What about you attempting a runner last night, and with your knees”.

I know for a fact I would have done the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I know for a fact I would have done the same thing
    Without wishing to divert SP's thread too much, what are people's views on paying a bill that is clearly wrong in your favour?. This can happen at home of course too, but I've had two recent examples abroad. Once at a lovely family run restaurant in Budapest, where the bill came in at half what is should be, as a few things had been forgotten about. We told them, and got a couple of drinks on the house, and left feeling pleased with ourselves. Then, only a couple of weeks back in France, the waiter was standing over me when he gave the bill, not really giving me a chance to check properly, but it seemed way too low. I paid anyway and it was only on the way out that I fully digested that it must have been someone else's bill. I wanted to go back and put it right, but we decided it was their fault for hurrying us. Any views?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Without wishing to divert SP's thread too much, what are people's views on paying a bill that is clearly wrong in your favour?. This can happen at home of course too, but I've had two recent examples abroad. Once at a lovely family run restaurant in Budapest, where the bill came in at half what is should be, as a few things had been forgotten about. We told them, and got a couple of drinks on the house, and left feeling pleased with ourselves. Then, only a couple of weeks back in France, the waiter was standing over me when he gave the bill, not really giving me a chance to check properly, but it seemed way too low. I paid anyway and it was only on the way out that I fully digested that it must have been someone else's bill. I wanted to go back and put it right, but we decided it was their fault for hurrying us. Any views?
    I think you did the right thing in both instances.

It's easily done after a few and must be abused a fair bit, which is why they have people keeping an eye out.

Anyone ever walked out on purpose?

Remember when I was about 20 I'd gone away with the girlfriend. Had an ok meal and then had asked multiple waiters for our bill. After what must have been the fourth time I said if we get up to leave they will soon bring it.

Like in the above, fully expected someone to be catching us up at some point but no one did.

My crime spree started and ended that night, other than the ocassional freebie on the self service tills.

I had a meal outside a busy City centre restaurant in Leipzig last year. I was there for Leipzig v Hertha, and next to me was a table of 6 or 7 Hertha fans, late teens/early 20s, all dressed in their 'Ultra' black. They were knocking back large beers and schnaps. They started leaving individually or in groups of two - until suddenly there were none of them. Bill unpaid. 10 minutes later I hear the waiter getting the most almighty bollocking inside the restaurant. When I asked for my own bill, he told me doing a runner happened very rarely but would wipe out any 'extras' he might have earned for that day. I felt a bit sorry for him (though I thought he was naive not keeping a closer eye) until my own bill came out. It was much more than it should have been - he'd already started trying to offload his losses on to me! Needless to say I got that corrected but you wonder how much he did claw back that day with smaller over-chargings here and there.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I had a meal outside a busy City centre restaurant in Leipzig last year. I was there for Leipzig v Hertha, and next to me was a table of 6 or 7 Hertha fans, late teens/early 20s, all dressed in their 'Ultra' black. They were knocking back large beers and schnaps. They started leaving individually or in groups of two - until suddenly there were none of them. Bill unpaid. 10 minutes later I hear the waiter getting the most almighty bollocking inside the restaurant. When I asked for my own bill, he told me doing a runner happened very rarely but would wipe out any 'extras' he might have earned for that day. I felt a bit sorry for him (though I thought he was naive not keeping a closer eye) until my own bill came out. It was much more than it should have been - he'd already started trying to offload his losses on to me! Needless to say I got that corrected but you wonder how much he did claw back that day with smaller over-chargings here and there.
    Yes if it's wrong it's usually in their favour!

They used to do that in Bar M on Westgate street - what is now Brewdog, settle your bill at the end - and yep I had them shout after me down the road to settle!