+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Collectors of commemorative 50p and £2 coins

Collectors of commemorative 50p and £2 coins

Any collectors on here ? It's getting more difficult to get hold of them nowadays as cashless payments seem to be the thing.

Still loads available on ebay but it will cost you. Possibly swapping coins with fellow collectors maybe the way forward.

Re: Collectors of commemorative 50p and £2 coins

Am no collector, although I have picked up the odd historic coin at car boot sales, like some from the USSR etc. I am totally against cashless places, if that helps! (Which it doesn't)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Am no collector, although I have picked up the odd historic coin at car boot sales, like some from the USSR etc. I am totally against cashless places, if that helps! (Which it doesn't)
    Any historic British or English coinage pre-Victorian times in the car boot sales ? With limitless funds I would like to get hold of some of those. They occasionally turn up in Cardiff Antiques Centre in the Royal Arcade but they're way overpriced.

Think I'll stick to my 50p's and £2 coins and hope that a Kew Gardens 50p turns up in my loose change. They're selling on ebay for £200 so keep your eyes peeled. They're still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Any historic British or English coinage pre-Victorian times in the car boot sales ? With limitless funds I would like to get hold of some of those. They occasionally turn up in Cardiff Antiques Centre in the Royal Arcade but they're way overpriced.

Think I'll stick to my 50p's and £2 coins and hope that a Kew Gardens 50p turns up in my loose change. They're selling on ebay for £200 so keep your eyes peeled. They're still out there.
    How about a Winston Churchill coin, what would they be worth now?
    Always remember my grandmother had one in her kitchen drawer for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Any collectors on here ? It's getting more difficult to get hold of them nowadays as cashless payments seem to be the thing.

Still loads available on ebay but it will cost you. Possibly swapping coins with fellow collectors maybe the way forward.
    We started when the Olympic coins came out for 2012 but have stopped now. We never bought any direct from the mint but have a fairly decent collection of 50p, £1 and £2 coins up until about 2018 ish. We're not missing many, except Kew Gardens and a couple of others. We're also missing just one of the original single colour £2 coins, which I doubt many can ever remember actually existed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    We started when the Olympic coins came out for 2012 but have stopped now. We never bought any direct from the mint but have a fairly decent collection of 50p, £1 and £2 coins up until about 2018 ish. We're not missing many, except Kew Gardens and a couple of others. We're also missing just one of the original single colour £2 coins, which I doubt many can ever remember actually existed.
    It was only about 7 years ago when I first started my collection that I found out about the single colour £2 coins. I particularly liked the design of the 1996 football one, which looked cool.

Like you I'm only missing the original Kew Gardens from my 50p collection but I bought a 2019 restrike version from the Royal Mint for a fiver and even that's worth £80 now. The Olympic ones are not as common as they once were but they still appear from time to time.

I only started collecting £2 coins about a year ago and have now got the full set. But I did have to purchase 5 of them on ebay recently because the Commonwealth Games ones in particular were becoming almost impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How about a Winston Churchill coin, what would they be worth now?
    Always remember my grandmother had one in her kitchen drawer for some reason.
    Apparently there were many millions minted so they're only worth a couple of quid to a collector.

I occasionally if I am very bored watch "Christopher Collects" on YouTube

might be worth a watch if you are into coin collecting

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I occasionally if I am very bored watch "Christopher Collects" on YouTube

might be worth a watch if you are into coin collecting
    I've been a subscriber to his channel for a couple of years now. A very knowledgeable young man and head and shoulders above all the other coin vloggers (?) out there. Lafta is good also and he has videos breaking down the values of each and every 50p and £2 commemorative coins.