+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: West Indies Cricket

West Indies Cricket

Failed to qualify for the World Cup.!!!

When I started watching cricket they seemed unbeatable. Viv , Richie Richardson Des Haynes , Greenidge and an endless supply of seriously quick bowlers Marshall , Holding , Ambrose etc.

What a downfall.

Re: West Indies Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Failed to qualify for the World Cup.!!!

When I started watching cricket they seemed unbeatable. Viv , Richie Richardson Des Haynes , Greenidge and an endless supply of seriously quick bowlers Marshall , Holding , Ambrose etc.

What a downfall.
    Collis King smashing brearleys boys all over the place

Andy Roberts , incredibly fluid bowling action

Indeed it is....I remember watching them, some seriously good batsmen and FAST bowlers...

In the field it didn’t do much for the game’s popularity, a battery of fast bowlers pummelling batsmen, quite boring in my opinion, thank God for Lance Gibbs. Batting was a different matter, Richards was majestic, Lloyd pure class. The talent and interest just ran out I s’pose, other interests for budding stars.

Lower level football has gone the same way in this country, the diminishing numbers of parks teams and players is alarming compared to the 70s/80s. Places like The Racecourse & Pontcanna were heaving on Saturdays & Sundays, not so now. Late teens/twenty years olds must have other interests other than actually playing the game. Sad!

1976, Greenidge, Richards & Clive Lloyd battered Glamorgan all over Swansea and Julian, Padmore and Holding ripped out the stumps. What an introduction to live cricket that was.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In the field it didn’t do much for the game’s popularity, a battery of fast bowlers pummelling batsmen, quite boring in my opinion, thank God for Lance Gibbs. Batting was a different matter, Richards was majestic, Lloyd pure class. The talent and interest just ran out I s’pose, other interests for budding stars.

Lower level football has gone the same way in this country, the diminishing numbers of parks teams and players is alarming compared to the 70s/80s. Places like The Racecourse & Pontcanna were heaving on Saturdays & Sundays, not so now. Late teens/twenty years olds must have other interests other than actually playing the game. Sad!
    Is it a generation thing. Vets football really popular. I stopped playing cricket about 10 years ago. No mid week cricket at all by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is it a generation thing. Vets football really popular. I stopped playing cricket about 10 years ago. No mid week cricket at all by me.
    Veterans football is, it’s the same people who played in the 70s/80s. I think the ‘Gôl’ type midweek league are mainly older lads as well. What are the teens/twenties age group doing on the weekends, in our days virtually every lad I knew played for someone. Must be the same in the Caribbean with the cricket.

Veterans football is, it’s the same people who played in the 70s/80s. I think the ‘Gôl’ type midweek league are mainly older lads as well. What are the teens/twenties age group doing on the weekends, in our days virtually every lad I knew played for someone. Must be the same in the Caribbean with the cricket.
    I was thinking more 90s and 00s for vets. 🤣

Lads in their 40s. 70s and 80s are more likely doing walking football which is also popular.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Collis King smashing brearleys boys all over the place

Andy Roberts , incredibly fluid bowling action
    Collis King dropped one of the most important catches in Glamorgan's history.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Collis King dropped one of the most important catches in Glamorgan's history.
    He was clearly having an off day

Was only talking about this a couple of hours ago with a couple of mates.

I remember the 1980 touring side smashed England's stars Botham, Boycott, Gooch etc al but rain ruined most of the series and the 1 nil series win for the windies flattered England.

The aforementioned names in the thread were superstars of the era.

Cricket is the loser here in the West Indies downturn in fortunes.

You have more than likely nailed it right there

While the West Indies are probably home now wondering if they'll play in a World Cup again, the winner of this mornings Scotland v The Netherlands game will be at the tois year's tournament proper when it starts in the autumn - Scotland currently 30-1 in the ninth over.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    While the West Indies are probably home now wondering if they'll play in a World Cup again, the winner of this mornings Scotland v The Netherlands game will be at the tois year's tournament proper when it starts in the autumn - Scotland currently 30-1 in the ninth over.
    Heard a conversation on the radio the other day where the prediction was that cricket would no longer have an international side in the west indies in the next 10 years

struggling again today in their last match

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Heard a conversation on the radio the other day where the prediction was that cricket would no longer have an international side in the west indies in the next 10 years
    Cricket is still really popular, just that they're really poorly paid so most of their best players decide to be t20 guns for hire. Who can blame them? The Windies will be around though and they'll still win t20 world cups!

I hate the ICC, they're running the game for the benefit of the big 3 and it is incredibly short sighted.