+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: URGENT tradesmen working in Cardiff

URGENT tradesmen working in Cardiff

Council have started charging tradesman working in certain areas of Cardiff £8 a day to park in residential bays. The use of notes in window will no longer be accepted!

https://www.change.org/p/charges-for...its-in-cardiff

Re: URGENT tradesmen working in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    Council have started charging tradesman working in certain areas of Cardiff £8 a day to park in residential bays. The use of notes in window will no longer be accepted!

Just signed it, thanks for the post.

I found about this in March. Does the £8 cover a day at several addresses or just one for a whole day?

Doesn't seem fit for purpose if you are going to do lots of smaller visits, and inevitably the customer will have to pay more for work at their address.

It may not just be trades but could be delivery drivers, carers and cleaners for example. Not very well thought out in my opinion but the Council won't really care unless there's an outcry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just signed it, thanks for the post.

I found about this in March. Does the £8 cover a day at several addresses or just one for a whole day?

Doesn't seem fit for purpose if you are going to do lots of smaller visits, and inevitably the customer will have to pay more for work at their address.

It may not just be trades but could be delivery drivers, carers and cleaners for example. Not very well thought out in my opinion but the Council won't really care unless there's an outcry
    It’s £8 per zone so if a tradesman doing 5 small jobs a day in these areas it’s £40 a day in parking fees! I spoke to the owner of Crwys electrics who has 5 vans doing these small jobs throughout the day, he was made aware of these charges when a leaflet was left on his windscreen. The council taking money and residents not benefiting. It’s an absolute scandal and a tax. The problem being is the majority of people living in Cardiff don’t live in areas with parking restrictions so it doesn’t affect them so they won’t sign petition.

Pretty sure there's an annual pass trades can get for their vehicle that covers them for the year? Otherwise residents can book a visitor slot for them using their online account, so not really an issue. About time they brought it in though.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Pretty sure there's an annual pass trades can get for their vehicle that covers them for the year? Otherwise residents can book a visitor slot for them using their online account, so not really an issue. About time they brought it in though.
    I'm not aware that there is an annual pass but could see how that may benefit if the council think the 'note in the window' is being abused. Where did you get that information from?

Otherwise it is an issue as there are lots of times where the owner may not have an online account or even a car so you can't use their visitor hours (OAP's and tenants in general). Even then the council expect residents to pre book the hours that visitors are expected to be there even though they may have no idea what time they will arrive or how long a job will take.

Contractors also are expected to upload proof of the reason they need to be in the zone. Not everyone has jobs sheets for every job, so it may have to be texts emails or screen shots of conversations. Either way every one who has access to the permit scheme would be privy to lots of information that the homeowner or tenant may not want you to pass on.

It's a lot more complicated than the council appreciate in my opinion.

Just before I packed in work, I stopped taking service calls from the Cathays/Roath areas, as it was impossible to find a bloody parking space

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just before I packed in work, I stopped taking service calls from the Cathays/Roath areas, as it was impossible to find a bloody parking space
    Have you seen Cathays Terrace since the cycleway was built? There is nowhere for delivery drivers to pull over, so they just stop in the middle of the road and hold up all the traffic.

Who did you vote for in last local elections ?

If it was for the people in the red corner - then enjoy your parking bill, your lack of parking spaces and the deliberate traffic jams. Local councillor Caro Wild was the person behind this - as well as shutting Castle St and putting in a million pound road works scheme on Penhill / Cathedral road - that saves 35 seconds of journey time.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to blame it on Thatcher etc ...

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Who did you vote for in last local elections ?

If it was for the people in the red corner - then enjoy your parking bill, your lack of parking spaces and the deliberate traffic jams. Local councillor Caro Wild was the person behind this - as well as shutting Castle St and putting in a million pound road works scheme on Penhill / Cathedral road - that saves 35 seconds of journey time.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to blame it on Thatcher etc ...
    Let's be honest here and say this is an issue for every local authority in the country. We have a finite amount of space for cars to drive and park. In areas where this is becoming more and more difficult there has to be ways of managing the amount of traffic using and parking on the roads. The problem is growing as there are more vehicles on our roads. In many of the busiest areas in Cardiff there are no options to have more roads or provide more parking space. Lots of people resent forms of traffic management but there isn't another option. I'm not saying Cardiff council get it right, as with local authorities with other parties in charge, I'm sure they all make poor decisions with traffic management and I'm not trying to absolve anyone here, but it's a massive problem and letting roads just fill up and making them a free for all isn't an option in the busiest areas.

Caro Wild's agenda was to create traffic chaos in order to get people off the road and to make Cardiff a city of villages where people would stay in their own area.
    One of his ex Labour colleagues (Mike Welch) published it
    He shut Castle street under the guise of covid - and created traffic problems in other areas - but this time worse, as people just sat in their vehicles with the engine running. Happened on Cowbridge rd, Cathay terrace, Wellfield road , upper and lower cathedral road.
    The million pound bus lane to save 30 seconds travel is another example from Cardiff city council.

With Castle street - Caro Wild didnt realise that people can demand a referendum - one was called - and he lost - so had to re open it - so then he introduced the bus lanes on Castle street - which means it's always jammed anyway.

All these were policy decisions of the Labour group. Wild even tried to get an independent study underway - until it was revealed that 'independent professor from Cardiff Uni - is one of his cycling mates. That study was quickly abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm not aware that there is an annual pass but could see how that may benefit if the council think the 'note in the window' is being abused. Where did you get that information from?

Otherwise it is an issue as there are lots of times where the owner may not have an online account or even a car so you can't use their visitor hours (OAP's and tenants in general). Even then the council expect residents to pre book the hours that visitors are expected to be there even though they may have no idea what time they will arrive or how long a job will take.

Contractors also are expected to upload proof of the reason they need to be in the zone. Not everyone has jobs sheets for every job, so it may have to be texts emails or screen shots of conversations. Either way every one who has access to the permit scheme would be privy to lots of information that the homeowner or tenant may not want you to pass on.

It's a lot more complicated than the council appreciate in my opinion.
    I thought I'd read about an annual pass (at about £70) for trades when I got a letter from the council about resident parking renewal, but can't find anything online other than 1, 7, 14 or 28 day passes , that says its not the responsibility of residents to sort permits for them.

As far as I'm aware, all resident parking permits went digital this year using mipermit, so there shouldn't be anyone without an online account.

Some areas(around Canton in particular) have issues with contractors parking in resident zones in streets they're not working in, so anything that helps with that issue is hugely beneficial.

No if someone would do something about all the parking on double yellow lines and pedestrian crossings, that'd be handy too.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Caro Wild's agenda was to create traffic chaos in order to get people off the road and to make Cardiff a city of villages where people would stay in their own area.
    One of his ex Labour colleagues (Mike Welch) published it
    He shut Castle street under the guise of covid - and created traffic problems in other areas - but this time worse, as people just sat in their vehicles with the engine running. Happened on Cowbridge rd, Cathay terrace, Wellfield road , upper and lower cathedral road.
    The million pound bus lane to save 30 seconds travel is another example from Cardiff city council.

With Castle street - Caro Wild didnt realise that people can demand a referendum - one was called - and he lost - so had to re open it - so then he introduced the bus lanes on Castle street - which means it's always jammed anyway.

All these were policy decisions of the Labour group. Wild even tried to get an independent study underway - until it was revealed that 'independent professor from Cardiff Uni - is one of his cycling mates. That study was quickly abandoned.
    Is this one of those 15 minute City conspiracy theories?

I thought I'd read about an annual pass (at about £70) for trades when I got a letter from the council about resident parking renewal, but can't find anything online other than 1, 7, 14 or 28 day passes , that says its not the responsibility of residents to sort permits for them.

As far as I'm aware, all resident parking permits went digital this year using mipermit, so there shouldn't be anyone without an online account.

Some areas(around Canton in particular) have issues with contractors parking in resident zones in streets they're not working in, so anything that helps with that issue is hugely beneficial.

No if someone would do something about all the parking on double yellow lines and pedestrian crossings, that'd be handy too.
    The only reason a tradesman would park in a different street to the one he’s working in is because there was nowhere to park in the street. The point is, charging a fee will not solve the issue, tradesman will still be parking in residential bays, it’s just a revenue raiser for councils and the people that will suffer (financially )will be the residents in that are in those areas as the cost will be passed on.

The only reason a tradesman would park in a different street to the one he’s working in is because there was nowhere to park in the street. The point is, charging a fee will not solve the issue, tradesman will still be parking in residential bays, it’s just a revenue raiser for councils and the people that will suffer (financially )will be the residents in that are in those areas as the cost will be passed on.
    You're assuming they're parking up for work reasons, rather than going to the shops, cafe etc. There are also occasions where four or five vans and cars will turn up for people working on renovations etc.

I think it will solve some of the issues, like the ones I mentioned above, but only if they employ more parking enforcement officers, and they're patrolling these zones more regularly (you would think this was a no brainer with the number of tickets they could give out every day, and the revenue that could generate).

Is this one of those 15 minute City conspiracy theories?
    Nah - it was from someone that used to work with Wild, and the subsequent foi requests.