+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: DVT

DVT

Anyone on here ever suffered from it?

My missus just had a surgery and now has a clot in her groin and stomach. Both a bit nervous and wondered what others experiences are, although recognise everyone different.

Re: DVT

Nope, good luck to her though

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

My missus just had a surgery and now has a clot in her groin and stomach. Both a bit nervous and wondered what others experiences are, although recognise everyone different.
    I have after breaking my leg, daily injections of Heparin and Warfarin sorted it after a while, doctors know what they are doing.

Jabs for about 3 or 4 months (can’t remember what was in them)
    Warfarin for about a year

No problem in the last 8 years

they can be very serious, good that it has been picked up though.
    was she immobile postoperatively? how was the risk of dvts managed? with heparin or with compression therapy?

yes mate not nice, mine wasnt from surgery though

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    they can be very serious, good that it has been picked up though.
    was she immobile postoperatively? how was the risk of dvts managed? with heparin or with compression therapy?
    No she was up and about the morning after.

Compression socks is the only thing as far as we know. Seeing her consultant tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Jabs for about 3 or 4 months (can’t remember what was in them)
    Warfarin for about a year

No problem in the last 8 years
    Just remembered, Clexane injections

Similar, I've lived with Venous Sinus Thrombosis (clot in Brain) for 12 years now, in hossi they started me on Heparin infused on a permanent drip for a few weeks, when out of hossi, on warfarin for a while, was a long time ago i think might have been a few months, once warfarin was stopped have been takin a baby aspirin nightly ever since, hopefully she will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Similar, I've lived with Venous Sinus Thrombosis (clot in Brain) for 12 years now, in hossi they started me on Heparin infused on a permanent drip for a few weeks, when out of hossi, on warfarin for a while, was a long time ago i think might have been a few months, once warfarin was stopped have been takin a baby aspirin nightly ever since, hopefully she will be fine
    Christ I remember that , wernt you told it was a tumour initially ?

No she was up and about the morning after.

Compression socks is the only thing as far as we know. Seeing her consultant tomorrow.
    pneumatic intermittent compression is FAR more effective at preventing dvts than compression stockings, but given the location of the clots that might not have made a lot of difference

I had three dvt's / pulmonary embolisms all from air flights. Been on warfarin now for about 12 years now. In fact the manager was going to chuck me out of the Hilton York as someone saw me injecting Heparin into my stomach and reported me. That was the day before we drew with Leeds up there 1 all when Joe Mason scored. The only way I could get my missus to agree to me going to the game was if I took her to York for the weekend.

Been on warfarin now for must be 12 years and not a problem with it at all.

They don't always use Warfarin nowadays. It is an old drug and can be associated with excessive bleeding problems. There are now a range of modern anti clotting drugs including Apixaban which are much safer but not always suitable, depending on medical history.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Christ I remember that , wernt you told it was a tumour initially ?
    Yes, I was given 3 scenarios with a Tumour as the most likely, how it was diagnosed and incorrectly diagnosed prompted an article which made it into the British Medical Journal in around September last year, I don't subscribe to the BMJ but the doctor who did the piece, did send me the article which includes the scans of the brain which looks pretty horrific which it was at the time, I was scanned regularly after the event and could see the clot reducing in size on the screen at the local GP, it came to the point at which having more scans was becoming more of a threat than the clot itself due to the radiation exposure, so the scans were stopped, I've had two more scans recently as i was suffering similar symptoms, the most recent being in November last year, the image confirmed the clot still present but not at the size of the original, I have a good excuse for talking shite most of the time and i no longer have my axe playing skills, it's weird knowing where to put your fingers to play the notes but just not being able to do it, i can manage a few chords with slow changes but that's about it.

Obviously back then it wasn't nice for me, but i do have a little chuckle to myself, as i had booked a seat on TLG's bus to Millwall and was trying to work out how i could sneak out of the hossi for the day, My Doris having none of it

Yes, I was given 3 scenarios with a Tumour as the most likely, how it was diagnosed and incorrectly diagnosed prompted an article which made it into the British Medical Journal in around September last year, I don't subscribe to the BMJ but the doctor who did the piece, did send me the article which includes the scans of the brain which looks pretty horrific which it was at the time, I was scanned regularly after the event and could see the clot reducing in size on the screen at the local GP, it came to the point at which having more scans was becoming more of a threat than the clot itself due to the radiation exposure, so the scans were stopped, I've had two more scans recently as i was suffering similar symptoms, the most recent being in November last year, the image confirmed the clot still present but not at the size of the original, I have a good excuse for talking shite most of the time and i no longer have my axe playing skills, it's weird knowing where to put your fingers to play the notes but just not being able to do it, i can manage a few chords with slow changes but that's about it.

Obviously back then it wasn't nice for me, but i do have a little chuckle to myself, as i had booked a seat on TLG's bus to Millwall and was trying to work out how i could sneak out of the hossi for the day, My Doris having none of it
    Can't they do anything to control or shrink the size of the clot ?

The thought of you talking shite for the next 25 years is unbearable

Quote Originally Posted by B8cjh View Post
    I have after breaking my leg, daily injections of Heparin and Warfarin sorted it after a while, doctors know what they are doing.
    My wife had the same treatment after a DVT from a combination of pregnancy & a long car journey which was compounded by a wrong diagnosis by the hospital. She now has to have precautionary blood thinners before long flights.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The thought of you talking shite for the next 25 years is unbearable
    Says the guy with over 36,000 posts

What will be will be, I consider it far more dangerous driving 20 miles back and forth on the M4 daily with a few country lanes thrown in as well

Says the guy with over 36,000 posts

What will be will be, I consider it far more dangerous driving 20 miles back and forth on the M4 daily with a few country lanes thrown in as well
    Mine are both quantity and quality