+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark McGuinness

Mark McGuinness

I think it’s vital we tie him down to a new contract and try and build a team around him! If not I think he will be with a few quid in the next few years so he must be one of our most valuable assets?

Re: Mark McGuinness

Fancy him for top scorer if we can deliver a cross this season.

He looks decent enough, the spell at Wednesday seems to have matured him. He's one of those players whose presence could end up being very influencial in the side, even when he's not playing well, a bit like Mozzer was for us. But when I read 'Build a team' around a stone cold central Defender, then I have to sit down and whack myself across the head with a short piece of roofing batten. Although I get what the OP is saying.

He worries me defending,seems to go to sleep and loses his position and defenders.Plus he got a awful back pass to the keeper in him.
    But he will grab a few goals tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He looks decent enough, the spell at Wednesday seems to have matured him. He's one of those players whose presence could end up being very influencial in the side, even when he's not playing well, a bit like Mozzer was for us. But when I read 'Build a team' around a stone cold central Defender, then I have to sit down and whack myself across the head with a short piece of roofing batten. Although I get what the OP is saying.
    Make him part of the backbone might be more apt.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    He worries me defending,seems to go to sleep and loses his position and defenders.Plus he got a awful back pass to the keeper in him.
    He still had a lot to learn, needs to be more dominating. He’s still young thought and I’m going for a big season from him.

Definitely need him to sign a new deal. Otherwise we have to consider selling.

Mad that McGuiness is somehow being seen as the new messiah.
    Watched him away at Norwich and his pass completion rate was about 20%

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Mad that McGuiness is somehow being seen as the new messiah.
    Watched him away at Norwich and his pass completion rate was about 20%
    He's heavy on his feet in my opinion, that wont change, just the way his body is. So needs to get himself in decent positions, both body and positionally to counter that. Or put someone in front of him with better feet and movement. I think he's ok, no morethan that.

The modern trend on contracts is for the club to have 1 or 2 year options to extend. I wonder if that is the case with McGuinness

Good defender. Top purchase .

I did call it! Ha 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw;5436328[B
    ]He worries me defending,seems to go to sleep and loses his position[/B] and defenders.Plus he got a awful back pass to the keeper in him.
    Bang on. He often marks no-one at all when we are under pressure.

He's heavy on his feet in my opinion, that wont change, just the way his body is. So needs to get himself in decent positions, both body and positionally to counter that. Or put someone in front of him with better feet and movement. I think he's ok, no morethan that.
    You should post more. You give us fans a much deeper view. We don't know. Speaking for myself, who's been watching football for almost 50 years and played as center forward, I basically did **** all except make runs and expect passes. Your insight to players is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonezy17 View Post
    I think it’s vital we tie him down to a new contract and try and build a team around him! If not I think he will be with a few quid in the next few years so he must be one of our most valuable assets?
    Brilliant again!

Excellent and he’s improving on bringing the ball out of defence as well.

You obviously wouldn't recognise a good defender if you tripped over him. Which, come to think of it, you probably did regularly when you played.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You obviously wouldn't recognise a good defender if you tripped over him. Which, come to think of it, you probably did regularly when you played.
    You tell him DML. You're cutting him to the quick by here.

Oops

He had a decent game today and took his goal well, but is slow sometimes with ball at his feet, and I invariably think he is going to lose it. The two stars for me today were Alnwick and Goutas - they were immense, but the former takes MOM fir me. Great result even though we were fortunate to win. Etete had an excellent game too when he came on, and held the ball up extremely well, unlike Ugbo!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oops
    Well, his positional sense has improved, and he has a player in front of him who can mop up. He has been brilliant though, as has Goutas the last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    He does indeed lose concentration when marking players (and often doesn't mark anyone at all). If he can.work on that part of his game he would be even more exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I can take it on the chin lover boy, no problem with that. He was brilliant today in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You should post more. You give us fans a much deeper view. We don't know. Speaking for myself, who's been watching football for almost 50 years and played as center forward, I basically did **** all except make runs and expect passes. Your insight to players is fascinating.
    He's doing well, and one of the reasons why he's performed so well in my opinion is that the fullbacks are stopping the opposition getting in behind us. Collins has been great. McGuiness is a big lad and doesn't like being turned, that's when he's at his worst. The last few games have seen us eradicate that problem. well done to all concerned.

He's doing well, and one of the reasons why he's performed so well in my opinion is that the fullbacks are stopping the opposition getting in behind us. Collins has been great. McGuiness is a big lad and doesn't like being turned, that's when he's at his worst. The last few games have seen us eradicate that problem. well done to all concerned.
    According to the Wales Online ratings, Collins spent most of the first half being turned inside out by Ba, I could have sworn I watched all of the first half but I must have nodded off for most of it because that’s not what I saw - for most of the second half, I couldn’t get the old you’ll never beat Des Walker chant out of my mind, not sure why.