+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Heathwood rd-Speed Camera

Heathwood rd-Speed Camera

As you Approach from the three arches end, heading North towards the Birchgrove pub. It's a 20 zone, so be careful out there...

Re: Heathwood rd-Speed Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    As you Approach from the three arches end, heading North towards the Birchgrove pub. It's a 20 zone, so be careful out there...
    I picked up a friend from the Birch , took forever to get to Rhiwbina sticking to the 20mph … seems too slow and hardly good for the environment as my mpg was way down.

Cardiff 20mph,bike lanes, bus lanes it's a nightmare.Might as well buy an old milk float rather than a new car.
    Thank God for the bus pass.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Cardiff 20mph,bike lanes, bus lanes it's a nightmare.Might as well buy an old milk float rather than a new car.
    Only plus for me is when driving the hybrid car it’s all on electric. Not so good in a manual diesel van

Both my granddaughter and my brother in law have been caught at 25 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Bus drivers don't seem to worry about the 20mph limits.
    What I have noticed over the last few months is learner drivers now being taught to drive to the 20 limit - in practise for them it means 15. Followed one from Llandaff North to Llanishen the other day and struggled to get out of 2nd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Bus drivers don't seem to worry about the 20mph limits.
    What I have noticed over the last few months is learner drivers now being taught to drive to the 20 limit - in practise for them it means 15. Followed one from Llandaff North to Llanishen the other day and struggled to get out of 2nd gear.
    Think of the fumes that created

Back in the day (around mid 1970's) I did 88mph down that stretch of road just to see how fast my decepid car would go. How times have changed.

My daughter recently passed her driving test, is very comfortable at keeping below 20mph.
    I find it much harder to keep to 20 or below, drive along Heathwood Rd regularly, haven't been caught yet 🤞.
    In principle though, I've no big gripe with the change to 20. Ask yourself what speed limit you'd like outside your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen Bull View Post
    My daughter recently passed her driving test, is very comfortable at keeping below 20mph.
    I find it much harder to keep to 20 or below, drive along Heathwood Rd regularly, haven't been caught yet ��.
    In principle though, I've no big gripe with the change to 20. Ask yourself what speed limit you'd like outside your house.
    I live in a crescent cul-de-sac, so hard to get up to 20mph.
    But 20 on a thoroughfare? bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Back in the day (around mid 1970's) I did 88mph down that stretch of road just to see how fast my decepid car would go. How times have changed.
    Do you really think that’s anything to boast about ? You obviously had no thought for anyone else. Idiotic is not the word. It’s a pity your licence wasn’t taken away. Count yourself fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Do you really think that’s anything to boast about ? You obviously had no thought for anyone else. Idiotic is not the word. It’s a pity your licence wasn’t taken away. Count yourself fortunate.
    Wasn't boasting. Just illustrating how times have changed. I agree it was idiotic but as you get older common sense tends to prevail. I would have no difficulty keeping to 20mph now.

I passed my test in 1965 and have not been booked for speeding or anything else for that matter.

I rather regret posting now.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Think of the fumes that created
    I'm sure he was fuming behind the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    And found yourself in 1985?

We have 20mph throughout our village. I was overtaken the other day by an impatient chap who wasn't prepared to stay behind me as I was doing 20. He was on the opposite side of the road where there were lots of driveways where someone could have pulled out

International

I've been out of country for a while and on Friday night in the pub was warned that the camera on the tall pole by the Tesco lights Western Avenue is now live after doing nothing since the day they put it up.
    It was originally to catch people jumping the lights I think but apparently they have now marked the road for speed.
    The person who told me works in Cardiff Met and said that lots of the employees there who have been using the road for years and still think its a 40 limit have been done in the last couple of weeks for doing over 30 (over36 on your speedo)
    BEWARE!

Fixed or mobile? Worryingly I haven’t noticed it and drove along it yesterday to pick up a curry at celebrities…..I’m not a fast driver at all but sticking to 20 requires concentration and yesterday eve it was shot to bits…..��

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I've been out of country for a while and on Friday night in the pub was warned that the camera on the tall pole by the Tesco lights Western Avenue is now live after doing nothing since the day they put it up.
    It was originally to catch people jumping the lights I think but apparently they have now marked the road for speed.
    The person who told me works in Cardiff Met and said that lots of the employees there who have been using the road for years and still think its a 40 limit have been done in the last couple of weeks for doing over 30 (over36 on your speedo)
    BEWARE!
    Surely western ave is at least 40? It’s 60 on eastern isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Both my granddaughter and my brother in law have been caught at 25 MPH
    Criminal family.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And found yourself in 1985?
    So you discovered the Back to the Future reference.

When i get onto Heathwood road every week day morning at around 06.30, I play a little game of slowing down the cars by putting my car speed limiter at 20 MPH, you have some right beauties, I've been passed with cars going to the other side of the road quite a few times, it is difficult driving around north Cardiff with all the 20 MPH limits.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Western Avenue is 30 MPH

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Western Ave is30 as already said. Eastern Ave used to be 70 up to the point where 50 is painted on the road but the change it so the whole of it is now 50, and they changed Western Ave to 30 at the same time. If you come in on the Eastern Avenue there are 30 MPH signs on the posts.
    People still think Eastern Ave is 70. The reason people think Western Ave is 40 is because there are no signs on roads to the left and right saying it is 30. where there used to be 40 signs,
    But of course if you are coming from a 30 road there is no requirement because the speed limit is the same

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Western Ave is30 as already said. Eastern Ave used to be 70 up to the point where 50 is painted on the road but the change it so the whole of it is now 50, and they changed Western Ave to 30 at the same time. If you come in on the Eastern Avenue there are 30 MPH signs on the posts.
    People still think Eastern Ave is 70. The reason people think Western Ave is 40 is because there are no signs on roads to the left and right saying it is 30. where there used to be 40 signs,
    But of course if you are coming from a 30 road there is no requirement because the speed limit is the same
    Irrespective of the changes to 20mph across the country in a few months, I much prefer Western Ave being 30. Without a central barrier I think it's too dangerous with a higher limit.

In the area of Poland I was living in all 30km zones had high speed bumps across the entrance / exit. As much as I detested them, they served their purpose. In my short, 10 minute, drive to work, I had to go over 7 of them.