+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Support of Huw Edwards: A Broadcasting Colossus and A Welsh Great

In Support of Huw Edwards: A Broadcasting Colossus and A Welsh Great

So here we go again. Social Media is rife. And journalists are kept off the streets by poking fun at a superbly talented individual who has made a few family mistakes. Scandal certainly sells, doesn’t it? No change there.

A Sign Of The Time: The News Full Of Grime
    So what do we know? Yes there are allegations, but yet no evidence. On the basis of that we have four sets of people laying claims. The first two looked like reputational damage, but not illegal. The recent bits and pieces seem to be nothing more than tittle-tattle of low grade. The sort that bored wives will have a "damp-on" about around about midday, whilst watching Desperate Housewives and the like. A cup of tea and a bitching contest – nothing like it to satisfy some people. Little people, that is.

The recent allegations are that apparently there were kisses on texts late in the night to some staff. Well isn’t that interesting? Yes weirdly, women send that to me, and male friends send it to female friends. So what? That can range from the trivial, an ill-tough habit, to love in a friendly way, to the sexual. It could mean anything.

Other accusations are about his work behaviour: "Doesn't talk to lower staff at BBC", or "razmatazzing with executives all the time." None of these are misdemeanours. In fact, they are no different to other people's work behaviours who are professional or social climbers. I didn't really expect a Managing Director or Chief Financial Officer to be making a fuss of me - he has peers to speak to and things to get done. This stuff may be professional rudeness or ignorance at best. Nothing untowards. Nothing illegal. Nothing that HR would even be interested in. Nothing newsworthy. Just a "kitchen sink" pile-on. Just a load of professional bitching unless evidence can be shown otherwise. Probably by a few jealous people who would presumably want his pay packet and glad to see him gone. Slurs. That is all they are.

Anglo-Saxon Culture- Alive and Kicking
    There is an unbecoming feature about sections of English culture, exacerbated by acidic social media and their well-known gutter press. It isn't new and any reader of British history would know it. It dates back to the age of the Angles, Saxons and Normans. "rraargh, ha, ha off with their heads" they used to cry and laugh, whilst the barbaric elite down a barrel of mead. Nothing like a good death (physical and career wise) to get some excited. Hanging, drawing and quartering? They used to love nothing more than ripping bodies apart rather than taking a head off quickly and neatly like the French. All of this barbaric behaviour was conducted during the times when The Welsh through the Laws of Hywel Dda treated broken families, single mothers adopted children and misdemeanours with a level of compassion and progressivism that was thousand years ahead of English laws and life. There is still some catching up to do it seems, a little while later.

But they are still at it in some quarters. It is still prevalent in the glorifying of decapitation: professional and physical. Plenty still hark for capital punishment. Plenty love the downfall of celebrities. It is very much part of their culture, whilst being absent here in Wales. Just look at the way Gascoigne was treated when he had suffered depression from the teenage years, and struggled with alcohol, life and relationships. English journalists rubbing it all in? Guilty as charged. A young David Beckham makes a mistake at a World Cup? Abused in public. Hung, drawn and quartered in a verbal sense. Guilty as charged. Undignified, low grade, and unforgivingly brutal. A civilized country? I shall leave that for you to decide.

Look at the way Gareth Bale was treated by their English press, forever sneering at the fact he liked “returning to Cardiff” to see his family, being with his Welsh sweetheart. Presumably the operating assumption is that that now he was rich and famous and in London he should have mercilessly dumped his teenage sweetheart, and be cavorting with some topless model Essex WAG in their South East circles, fully supplied with a pair of silicone boobs, collagen lips like a pair of Bowyers sausages, and a brain the size of a maggot. He had more class. The way he was attacked after the World Cup, despite doing his best. The sneering never stopped. Contrast this treatment with the humane and sympathetic way that the aging Bale and Ramsey were treated in Welsh life after the World Cup compared to the English press. We are in 2023 and yet this unhumane barbaric way of hanging people out to dry hasn't dissipated in a thousand years.

Have We Forgotten The Human Side?
    Yes there are some flaws here perhaps. I also suppose that what was happening could be claimed as immoral if it is all true, that photographic material was exchanged with persons below 18 years of age. I am assuming there is no evidence yet. But even if it were, we are talking about a married man with five children, who (if it is true that the claimants were male) has probably been suffering with questions around his own leanings for many years. Perhaps even connected to his depression. It is quite astonishing then, that he has been able to hold it together for so long – presenting super-major global headlines and giving nothing away. That cannot be easy. Clearly he has struggled for a while and has a super-human supportive wife, when many would run a mile and think of taking half of his wealth at the earliest shot. His wife has shown a more dignified humanity than around fifty "journalists" combined. This is when we can have faith in the better side of human beings.

In times like this it is difficult to be kind and supportive. I would like to see how some of these journalists and their family would deal with it, if it was revealed about their cocaine habits, debauchery, strip club attendances and adultery that many of them get up to. Let us hope they will be treated the same cold, “off with their heads” way that they have treated Huw. Huw must be suffering with thoughts of his family, children and his own feelings on other things. That is punishment enough. That some cannot see this and see it as a chance to abuse a target says a lot about their lack of humanity. Unless hard evidence shows otherwise, can we not leave the man and his family alone to deal with their pain privately?

A Colossus & True Welsh Patriot In A Time Of Low Culture
    So what we now have, with every Tom, Dick and Harry glorifying his downfall, is a Huw Edwards who is now vilified. Yet Huw has had to deal with this all his life. He always felt an outsider in the London media, so he says. I can see that. Just at look at social media content itself for the Anti-Welsh racism – with repetitive and target references to sheep, sheep-shagger, “Closet Nationalist” and the like. Twitter is full of it. A volley of verbal diarrohea by nobodies, wannabees and never-will-be's. The inference is clear: “I am glad the Nationalist Welshman has gone, ha ha!” In a country where culture seems to be Love Island, X-Factor, cheaply-produced pop music, “Social Media Influencers” and the general inability to have the capacity to take in and process more than a few sentences of thought before yelling “TLDR”, Huw Edwards to me is a professional and patriotic legend.

His recent mistakes take nothing away from his achievements. The ability to speak English, Welsh, French and Italian. He holds a PhD. He has not only held his own as a global-standard bearer in broadcasting for twenty years and is a national icon. A historian. A teacher. A producer of programmes. A writer of many books. A deep knowledge of his own country’s culture and a shameless promoter of the language and culture of his homeland, in a world where anti-Welsh abuse is still apparently acceptable by many in London, the UK media and low grade much-chuckers on social media. Just look at, and enjoy the fantastic production that he wrote and produce on Welsh history - the commanding heights of top class production which every Welsh person should watch to know the history of our beautiful homeland. Huw Edwards at the top of his game.

BBC The Story of Wales Episode 1 The Makings of Wales
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtMDbdIC2VE

The Story of Wales Episode 2 Power Struggles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tLvUeqVwxc

BBC The Story of Wales Episode 3 England and Wales
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11W44iXuUY

BBC The Story of Wales Episode 4 Furnace of Change
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALnp9IRUQg

BBC The Story of Wales Episode 5 A New Beginning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaI35iEqgWs

BBC The Story of Wales 6 of 6 Wales and Britain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwumvynZZc0

Huw Edwards - Solid Welsh Anthracite.
    Journalists at The Sun and Mirror will come and go. Paid 25k to write grime and filth that is forgotten by next month, they will never be a Huw Edwards. Nor will they possess his intellect. Nor will they be as well loved and idolised as he has. Nor will they have the same love and passion for their own country. If the Welsh can learn one thing from Huw Edwards, it is to stand a little taller for their country against the odds. To back it. To support our language, identity and history and tell the story in the way that he has. And Huw had the cleverness to sell that to both Welsh and non-Welsh speakers with the respect the subject deserves. He has taught us to pass on that love for our culture to the next generation – but with a dignified smile on our face in the continued face of anti-Welsh sneering.

Perhaps his reputation is damaged in broadcasting, and the grime-and-slime peddlers have succeeded. Perhaps there may be collateral damage in his family. But outside of that, the man is still highly respected academic, a super Welsh historian, a broadcasting colossus, a true Welsh patriot and someone much loved in this country. His professional work standing like a beacon, where others are molehills. All diamonds have flecks. Anthracite coal has flaws. But both are rock solid in quality. And unlike the easily-forgotten, grimey journalists enjoying themselves pulling him down, he will be long remembered as a Welsh great for decades to come, when the general population cannot even recall their insignificant names today.

And unless evidence proves otherwise, perhaps that is how we should see Huw Edwards? A flawed piece of brilliant Welsh anthracite.

Re: In Support of Huw Edwards: A Broadcasting Colossus and A Welsh Great

nobody is going to read all that

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Mental

he's a scoundrel and a rotter.

no i didn't read it either

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Well thought out & eloquent post but this may be lost on some who have already made up their minds.

I think your overthinking this.

And if he wasn't Welsh, would you have bothered?

What 'recent mistakes' are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Well thought out & eloquent post but this may be lost on some who have already made up their minds.
    As no-one on here knows all of the facts it would make sense to withhold judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As no-one on here knows all of the facts it would make sense to withhold judgement.
    There's one person who knows all the facts, he just changes his mind as the facts are established.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    His wife seems to know something

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    His wife seems to know something
    She's not 'on here', is she?

That's exactly what I thought.

If anyone can be bothered to read can they precis it for the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Think you’ll find it was ChatGPT

I'd like to see him get knighted and given the job of director-general at the BBC, and they can double his salary while they are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's one person who knows all the facts, he just changes his mind as the facts are established.

Given the age on some posters we could lose a few by the time they get to the end of that nonsense.

War and Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Given the age on some posters we could lose a few by the time they get to the end of that nonsense.
    Unless it's a copy and paste, why anyone would spend that length of time posting that on here? Bizarre.

Why not?

I don't like the arrogance of the OP with some posts, but I think this was well written and very fair.

This isn't twitter. There's room for a bit more if posters want to set it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Why not?

I don't like the arrogance of the OP with some posts, but I think this was well written and very fair.

This isn't twitter. There's room for a bit more if posters want to set it out.

Agree with all that.

We live in a world defined by 280 characters and sound bites.

I didn't read it mind

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Agree with all that.

We live in a world defined by 280 characters and sound bites.

I didn't read it mind
    Anybody who writes more than two short paragraphs is a narcissist!

How can someone who does a decent job as a newsreader be described as a "broadcasting colossus"?

A Welsh Great ??? -somewhere behind Lloyd George, Nye Bevan, John Charles, Barry John and Gareth Edwards I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by lostinnewforest View Post
    How can someone who does a decent job as a newsreader be described as a "broadcasting colossus"?

A Welsh Great ??? -somewhere behind Lloyd George, Nye Bevan, John Charles, Barry John and Gareth Edwards I would have thought.
    You'd place him ahead of Gareth Bale?

Quote Originally Posted by lostinnewforest View Post

His dad was nearer to a "Welsh great" than he is/was.