+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad - as it stands

Squad - as it stands

I've attempted to summarise the current squad in this image:
    Assuming we are going to stick with 4-2-3-1
    There are a number of players who can cover more than one position - e.g. Ng as CB, O'Dowda as RB and a few players in the "Colwill" role, but I've only shown them in one position as otherwise it was getting too complicated.

I've also shown their age and contract years remaining.

squadx.jpg

Have I left anyone out?

Looking at that we have WAY too many central midfielders, especially if we are about to sign another who is better than any of them

Another Centre back wouldn't go amiss - although there is also Benjamin from the U21s

Probably need another right winger and some loans out for some of the Strikers

Re: Squad - as it stands

YOU LEFT OUT RAMSEY!

New keeper and a right winger and we're winning the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've attempted to summarise the current squad in this image:
    Assuming we are going to stick with 4-2-3-1
    There are a number of players who can cover more than one position - e.g. Ng as CB, O'Dowda as RB and a few players in the "Colwill" role, but I've only shown them in one position as otherwise it was getting too complicated.

I've also shown their age and contract years remaining.

squadx.jpg

Have I left anyone out?

Looking at that we have WAY too many central midfielders, especially if we are about to sign another who is better than any of them

Another Centre back wouldn't go amiss - although there is also Benjamin from the U21s

Probably need another right winger and some loans out for some of the Strikers
    Quite.

Keepers - good competition there.

Defence? Full backs look good. Ralls can be a third cover at left back at a desperate push. But I agree -I'd like to see see two central defenders added.

Not sure on "too many central midfielders". King will be phased in slowly, not 40 games a season. Not known if Adams will be a regular yet, nor durable for 40 games plus. Which leaves 4 CDMs vying for two positions, and you need rotation in there with fresh legs. Ramsey will work with Colwill in the 10 position is my guess, probably rotating.

Forwards. I'd like to see Watters and Ojo go. Issak Davies will be phased in slowly being a youngster, and won't play 40 + a season.

All in all, sort out central defence and we should have a team capable of pushing top half providing the coach is a major improvement. I think it's a decent squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Quite.

Keepers - good competition there.

Defence? Full backs look good. Ralls can be a third cover at left back at a desperate push. But I agree -I'd like to see see two central defenders added.

Not sure on "too many central midfielders". King will be phased in slowly, not 40 games a season. Not known if Adams will be a regular yet, nor durable for 40 games plus. Which leaves 4 CDMs vying for two positions, and you need rotation in there with fresh legs. Ramsey will work with Colwill in the 10 position is my guess, probably rotating.

Forwards. I'd like to see Watters and Ojo go. Issak Davies will be phased in slowly being a youngster, and won't play 40 + a season.

All in all, sort out central defence and we should have a team capable of pushing top half providing the coach is a major improvement. I think it's a decent squad.
    Yeah it'll be interesting to see where Ramsey plays (assuming he joins) as for the last few years he's playing more and more in a deeper role and less in an attacking midfield role (as happens with many players as they lose a bit of pace, but gain that bit of experience). I'm assuming he will be in the midfield 2, but I could be wrong.

Not been impressed with either keeper really, but they'll do for a year.
    Right wing a priority for me next

Things always look a lot more rosey in July than when the season gets underway!

Good competition for keepers? In what way? That they are both equally shit? Or has everyone forgotten this little detail over the summer?

The colwill position? He has his own position?

Oh and this includes Ojo as being an option.

I love the summer optimism of football fans though. All these youngsters that Will break through..... all these signings dropping down a level who will dominate......

Even I read how happy Oxford fans were they'd signed mark Harris. world Cup pedigree, championship appearances etc etc..... bless them.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see where Ramsey plays (assuming he joins) as for the last few years he's playing more and more in a deeper role and less in an attacking midfield role (as happens with many players as they lose a bit of pace, but gain that bit of experience). I'm assuming he will be in the midfield 2, but I could be wrong.

Not been impressed with either keeper really, but they'll do for a year.
    Right wing a priority for me next
    Hmm. Do take care though rjk. You'll only annoy our resident message board Squealing Mary (Sludge) with comments like that. I am going to take a reasonably educated guess that he will strongly disagree with you, and insist that the let wing is a priority, and that the right wing should be ignored. And of course "Feck off you Tory scum" or something to that predictable effect.

Tread easy my friend.

Hmm. Do take care though rjk. You'll only annoy our resident message board Squealing Mary (Sludge) with comments like that. I am going to take a reasonably educated guess that he will strongly disagree with you, and insist that the let wing is a priority, and that the right wing should be ignored. And of course "Feck off you Tory scum" or something to that predictable effect.

Tread easy my friend.
    Feck off tory scum

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Feck off tory scum
    There you go. Now that you've hurled the daily abuse, does that make you feel better?

Need someone in that central midfield to get hold of the ball and dictate play. All of those players are too similair.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Need someone in that central midfield to get hold of the ball and dictate play. All of those players are too similair.
    How has Isaac Davies doing after his injury last year?
    Has he retained his speed?

Assuming Ramsey signs (to play no 10 with Colwill understudy), a CB better than Simpson and a goalie better than all we've currently got are the priorities for me I think.

Another out and out CF too if Meite isn't going to play in that role.

Quite a few I'd loan out/sell/release too.

There you go. Now that you've hurled the daily abuse, does that make you feel better?
    As long as tory filth infest this place I am here to liquidate them

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    As long as tory filth infest this place I am here to liquidate them
    My god your are a deep dreamer.

Need more players who can play in the midfield. That area needs a serious overhaul and some bodies need to be moved on. We desperately need a centre back, too. I’d like a striker and a winger. Sawyers, Rino/Adams, Ojo etc all need to get sold. The squad is overloaded with poor players still.

Tread easy my friend.
    Why derail a good football thread?
    There are ample opportunities on the alternative forum for political exchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Need more players who can play in the midfield. That area needs a serious overhaul and some bodies need to be moved on. We desperately need a centre back, too. I’d like a striker and a winger. Sawyers, Rino/Adams, Ojo etc all need to get sold. The squad is overloaded with poor players still.
    Yes I wouldn't mind a target man, hold the ball up type of striker - We looked a lot better in the last 2 seasons once we had Hugill and Kaba on board. I'm not sure Ugbo is that kind of player

Perhaps Robinson will play more on the right rather than in the centre. Shouldn't Evans be on the left? Possibly Ejuke to come too.

Yes I wouldn't mind a target man, hold the ball up type of striker - We looked a lot better in the last 2 seasons once we had Hugill and Kaba on board. I'm not sure Ugbo is that kind of player
    I'm not sure I want a striker who's good at holding the ball up. Holding the ball up usually results in defenders getting back into position and things become static.

I'd much prefer a striker who can drive forward at pace towards the opposition box and either get a shot off or slip a pass to someone in a better position.

We need to start moving forward into attacking positions in 2's and 3's, rather than having an isolated player trying to hold the ball up waiting for support to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Perhaps Robinson will play more on the right rather than in the centre. Shouldn't Evans be on the left? Possibly Ejuke to come too.
    What's the latest with Ejuke, anyone know?

I assumed ( hopefully wrongly) the deal was dead in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post

He is tucking into a daily Russian ghoulash as we speak. His phone is sitting there by his cup of tea. Switched on, but silent. But I think the biggest tell is that he is reading "A Diary Of The Soul Crew". Now why would he be reading that if he was on his way to Stoke or Troyes?

Ejuke is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post

That is the latest word in the twittersphere.

Rohan Luthra is a first teamed now isn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That is the latest word in the twittersphere.

Rohan Luthra is a first teamed now isn’t he?
    Yes he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm not sure I want a striker who's good at holding the ball up. Holding the ball up usually results in defenders getting back into position and things become static.

I'd much prefer a striker who can drive forward at pace towards the opposition box and either get a shot off or slip a pass to someone in a better position.

We need to start moving forward into attacking positions in 2's and 3's, rather than having an isolated player trying to hold the ball up waiting for support to arrive.
    I think the type of striker you're looking for is unlikely to be made available to us in this window, as they're worth their weight in gold.
    I'd settle for anyone, even an unknown like Kaba, who has a happy knack of putting the ball in the back of the net.

There is great competition between our keepers if it's to see who is most crap

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

We need a striker who can hold the ball up. Even Haaland can hold it up. We aren’t good enough to play without one, and we are in the Championship.

You don’t have to have a target man but we need someone who can hold onto the ball with their back to goal from time to time.