+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflation drops again

Re: Inflation drops again

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    don't forget the 20 per cent tipping on top too when eating out !

just back from the sates and the cost of food and drink is crazy especially in California
    Glad you stuck to the 20% Mozz :)

A four day trip to Disney in Orlando is the most expensive trip I have ever had.
    A week on the Queen Mary 2 including a heavy bar tab was much cheaper.

The price of food at Disneys Animal Kingdom Resort disgusted me.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    don't forget the 20 per cent tipping on top too when eating out !

just back from the sates and the cost of food and drink is crazy especially in California
    25% recommended on the bottom of disney checks now

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    25% recommended on the bottom of disney checks now
    Balls to that 20% is more than acceptable.
    They are adding tips to everything nowadays.

Talking of tips, have bar staff in this country taken a massive hit with advent of card payments? ‘Keep the change love or mate’ must be a rarity nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post

Would people would accept a payrise when inflation is high and when it comes back down again - they take a pay cut ?
    The terrifying thing is, lots of voters (especially those in the dailymail comments section) think this is how inflation works.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Talking of tips, have bar staff in this country taken a massive hit with advent of card payments? ‘Keep the change love or mate’ must be a rarity nowadays.
    In my local the staff are not allowed to accept drinks at all, whether to drink or to put the money in the pot for later. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What rankles me is the price at the pumps differing I drove past 4 Texaco garages and the price ranged form £1.39 to £149 and they boast about a " proud to be in Wales " factor, it pushes out of one of the biggest refineries in Europe 270,000 barrels a day , employs a few thousand folk .. a standard lowest price for us in South Wales please , hey Mr Drakeford please have a word with them at the next hospitality event .
    I live 7 miles from Valero oil refinery in pembroke the one you refer to and fuel is same price as in Brecon don’t make sense

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Would people would accept a payrise when inflation is high and when it comes back down again - they take a pay cut ?
    Gladly go back to my salary equivalent from 1975 if prices of everything did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke blue View Post
    I live 7 miles from Valero oil refinery in pembroke the one you refer to and fuel is same price as in Brecon don’t make sense
    1.39 Texaco both types Porthcawl, £1.49 Blackwood, ££1.45 Caerphilly. Feel its very unfair as the later areas have somewhat more folk with less money .. its the made in Wales tag that irritates.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    1.39 Texaco both types Porthcawl, £1.49 Blackwood, ££1.45 Caerphilly. Feel its very unfair as the later areas have somewhat more folk with less money .. its the made in Wales tag that irritates.
    It's the freakish show

to counter that, more and more places that you run up a bill ( tab ) a restaurant / pub / cafe are now adding at 10 surcharge which " all goes to the staff ", I went out for a afternoon tea in Bath yesterday afternoon with the wife, they added a 15% surcharge on, reading menus for afternoon tea in Wales for my mums birthday in a few weeks, all 3 we have looked at have a 10% surcharge , now I have no issues with leaving a tip for good service, last night, our restaurant bill was £135, I gave the guy £150 cash and we left, the 2 servers were great, now the server at the afternoon tea place wasnt so good, why would she be ? she had part of the 15% of the bill coming anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Great news that inflation has fallen but I thought that meant prices were going up slightly slower. How can the chancellor then tell retailers to reduce prices?

Not complaining as I hope they do but is this a case of passing the buck?

Place we ate last night added 10% service to the bill when the cheque came. So don't need to tip extra, they charge it at source.

Also my gig tickets tonight had a 10% booking fee for me to print my own tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Place we ate last night added 10% service to the bill when the cheque came. So don't need to tip extra, they charge it at source.

Also my gig tickets tonight had a 10% booking fee for me to print my own tickets.
    Why should you tip at all when the service is no different to places where you wouldn’t normally tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Isn’t the added 10% optional? This added percentage lark is a right con, buy 10 tickets for something and the booking fee is very often per ticket when there’s only actually been one booking albeit a block booking, there wouldn’t be ten transactions on your card, it’d be one lump sum.

As blue matt implies, a tip is a personal thank you of varying amounts depending on quality of service, a standard percentage included in the bill means bugger all to the staff I’d imagine. Is the 10/15% added to their hourly rate or does it become discretionary to the proprietors whether it’s paid, passing the decision to tip onto them despite them already having the money? I’ve slipped a waiter/waitress a cash tip on times, meaning I’ve, in effect, tipped twice

As blue matt implies, a tip is a personal thank you of varying amounts depending on quality of service, a standard percentage included in the bill means bugger all to the staff I’d imagine. Is the 10/15% added to their hourly rate or does it become discretionary to the proprietors whether it’s paid, passing the decision to tip onto them despite them already having the money? I’ve slipped a waiter/waitress a cash tip on times, meaning I’ve, in effect, tipped twice
    The 10% surcharge will be shared between all the staff, so the kitchen team aswell, the old style tipping ( you give the server a fiver ) was s.posedly flawed as the server would either keep that money or decide to share some of it with the kitchen staff, the runner, even front of house ( in higher end places, it wasnt uncommon for the maître d' to give the customers who looked like they would be big spenders to the servers who gave them some of the tip
    so I that aspect its fair for all

but as I pointed out, if the server knows they are getting the 10% anyway, why go that extra mile to provide a good experience

then of course we have the " double tip " dilemma , so we know the above, everyone gets 10%, so if the server does a great job, goes above and beyond, you feel, oh they need something extra, so the double tip comes out, you tip them
    anyone would think its all a con to extract more money out of you for a tip

Of course, while as its not so bad in the UK, the US with its 20% - 25% - ( 30% thats creeping in ) the issue magnifies , I once had a server who used to be the manager of the restaurant when it first opened ( Disneys Sanaa for people who care ) after his contract was up, he dropped down to be a server as he saw how much they were making in tips and it was more than her as earning, thats when you know its out of control

The 10% surcharge will be shared between all the staff, so the kitchen team aswell, the old style tipping ( you give the server a fiver ) was s.posedly flawed as the server would either keep that money or decide to share some of it with the kitchen staff, the runner, even front of house ( in higher end places, it wasnt uncommon for the maître d' to give the customers who looked like they would be big spenders to the servers who gave them some of the tip

but as I pointed out, if the server knows they are getting the 10% anyway, why go that extra mile to provide a good experience

then of course we have the " double tip " dilemma , so we know the above, everyone gets 10%, so if the server does a great job, goes above and beyond, you feel, oh they need something extra, so the double tip comes out, you tip them

Of course, while as its not so bad in the UK, the US with its 20% - 25% - ( 30% thats creeping in ) the issue magnifies , I once had a server who used to be the manager of the restaurant when it first opened ( Disneys Sanaa for people who care ) after his contract was up, he dropped down to be a server as he saw how much they were making in tips and it was more than her as earning, thats when you know its out of control
    Perhaps pay staff a decent living wage, the price on the menu is the price you pay, the same as other establishments, shops, builders merchants etc. Apparently in Japan it’s deemed insulting to tip as they pride themselves on giving good service regardless.

Perhaps pay staff a decent living wage, the price on the menu is the price you pay, the same as other establishments, shops, builders merchants etc. Apparently in Japan it’s deemed insulting to tip as they pride themselves on giving good service regardless.
    The way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The way it should be.
    Absolutely agree. I hate the concept of tipping and never tip. When was the last time you saw someone tip a roadsweeper? People should be paid much more and on an equal basis.

its always been like it though, im mid 50's and can remember when we would go out for our " end of school holidays special meal " in pillars on queen street, my mum used to tip the server 50p or £1

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Great news that inflation has fallen but I thought that meant prices were going up slightly slower. How can the chancellor then tell retailers to reduce prices?

Not complaining as I hope they do but is this a case of passing the buck?
    That the point. The headline is stupid at best and intentionally misleading at worse

I tip because people who work in hospitality are on **** all, shit hours, and used as and when. Bringing me my plate of food and not calling me a **** is pretty much all i need for me to think that they've done a good job. I don't want anyone to go 'Above and Beyond' i'm not special, and i don't want to feel special. I just want the food to be half decent and not ridiculously expensive. These people shouldn't have to rely on tips, a decent hourly rate and a contract should do it.

its always been like it though, im mid 50's and can remember when we would go out for our " end of school holidays special meal " in pillars on queen street, my mum used to tip the server 50p or £1
    I love Pillars, it's like walking into 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I tip because people who work in hospitality are on **** all, shit hours, and used as and when. Bringing me my plate of food and not calling me a **** is pretty much all i need for me to think that they've done a good job. I don't want anyone to go 'Above and Beyond' i'm not special, and i don't want to feel special. I just want the food to be half decent and not ridiculously expensive. These people shouldn't have to rely on tips, a decent hourly rate and a contract should do it.
    Unless i can tip the person in cash (and i do), I will not add a tip to the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Unless i can tip the person in cash (and i do), I will not add a tip to the bill.
    Yup, i fell uneasy using the card, i'm always concerned they wont see that money.