Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Just stop oil

International

Re: Just stop oil

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Bound to happen eventually.
    Surprised it has taken this long.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...ondon-66249612
    Won't make the slightest difference if we stop anyway, why don't they go to China, USA, India, Russia, Japan, Germany, Iran,South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia, if they want to make any impact at all!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Bang goes his blue wall.
    But the latest polls seem to show that Starmer is losing ground in the old Red Wall constituencies. Makes no sense for either lot.

International

100 new North Sea oil and gas licences

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-66357043

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    100 new North Sea oil and gas licences

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-66357043
    And?

Won't make the slightest difference if we stop anyway, why don't they go to China, USA, India, Russia, Japan, Germany, Iran,South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia, if they want to make any impact at all!
    The sad thing is that you could add at least another 50 countries to that list. I’ve been very fortunate to have had a globally based job and there are few nations as advanced and considerate as the UK. The old Eastern bloc, the Balkans, India, even Australia are 50-60 years behind in some instances.

International

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    And?
    They'll be happy about another 100 licences!

Can't really get my head around extracting the carbon dioxide and storing it under the North Sea, it sounds expensive.

I sometimes feel guilty for taking so many flights around the world but the irony is that I end up seeing other countries that are belching out such a gargantuan amount of pollution that it becomes evident that my forgoing the pleasure wouldn't really make the slightest difference in the great scheme of things.

I'm no China, my old China.

People who say that it's India, China, etc who need to sort themselves out for there to be any kind of meaningful impact are right.

But I can also imagine their argument would be that the UK population is equivalent to just two or three of their cities - if a small country like the UK can't manage anything near net zero, then why should they when it's much harder? Once the UK has walked the walk, then it can talk the talk.

The solution needs co-operation and us humans aren't great at that. It's not easy to be optimistic.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    People who say that it's India, China, etc who need to sort themselves out for there to be any kind of meaningful impact are right.

But I can also imagine their argument would be that the UK population is equivalent to just two or three of their cities - if a small country like the UK can't manage anything near net zero, then why should they when it's much harder? Once the UK has walked the walk, then it can talk the talk.

The solution needs co-operation and us humans aren't great at that. It's not easy to be optimistic.
    Nice thought but you can't seriously expect the Chinese and Russians and 90% of the rest of the World to cooperate and be fair, just look at how Europe reacted when we Brexit-ed.

I think we are doomed, we could slow things down a bit but most Countries will put themselves first.

Nice thought but you can't seriously expect the Chinese and Russians and 90% of the rest of the World to cooperate and be fair, just look at how Europe reacted when we Brexit-ed.

I think we are doomed, we could slow things down a bit but most Countries will put themselves first.
    I'm saying I don't expect them to co-operate when they can point out that a country with about 5% of their population can't even do it.

The UK is not on the agenda or radar of the likes of China or India, if anything it’s giving these countries the advantage and leverage over those countries trying todo the right thing. Just take Lithium mining as an example. Predominantly globally owned by China but conveniently located in other countries desperate for the money, to serve markets like the UK.

International

I'm saying I don't expect them to co-operate when they can point out that a country with about 5% of their population can't even do it.
    Yes, you're right, but even if we did they wouldn't give a toss, you can't even stop them invading other Countries.

This is quite an interesting article on renewable energy in China

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-energy-leader

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    This is quite an interesting article on renewable energy in China

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-energy-leader
    can we really trust the Chinese on anything the report ( while I know this specific report is by a US based NGO )

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It's a cult.
    FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    It's a cult.
    FOLLOW THE MONEY.
    Leading member of Just Stop Oil is revealed to be sitting on an estimated £1million pension pot from... Shell

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pot-Shell.html