+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Championship Odds

Championship Odds

When the full Championship line-up for 2023/24 was confirmed, the bookies initially installed Cardiff City as a 50/1 chance for the title.

When Erol Bulut was given the job as manager, the odds dropped to 66/1.

Following the signings of Yakou Meite, Karlan Grant and Aaron Ramsey, the odds have drifted again to 80/1.

The bookies were originally predicting City would finish somewhere between 14th and 16th. They are now predicting a finish between 20th and 22nd.

Work that one out, because I can’t. The downward trend in the odds following the recent signings doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Re: Championship Odds

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When the full Championship line-up for 2023/24 was confirmed, the bookies initially installed Cardiff City as a 50/1 chance for the title.

Following the signings of Yakou Meite, Karlan Grant and Aaron Ramsey, the odds have drifted again to 80/1.

The bookies were originally predicting City would finish somewhere between 14th and 16th. They are now predicting a finish between 20th and 22nd.

Work that one out, because I can’t. The downward trend in the odds following the recent signings doesn’t make any sense to me at all.
    Don't read anything at all into whatever the bookies say

It's all bollocks

We will finish top half at least

International

Wow that's crazy, but the bookies aren't usually wrong, they obviously feel that the Manager doesn't know the League and the players aren't good enough or are past it.

I would have agreed with 80/1 a month ago but agree they should be going in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Wow that's crazy, but the bookies aren't usually wrong, they obviously feel that the Manager doesn't know the League and the players aren't good enough or are past it.

I would have agreed with 80/1 a month ago but agree they should be going in the other direction.
    The bookies follow the money.

If all other supporters are punting for their teams the market will adjust accordingly

It’s really strange. For instance, when the odds were first published the bookies had City at 50/1 and Preston at 66/1. Now it’s City at 80/1 and Preston at 40/1. I can’t make any sense of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The bookies follow the money.

If all other supporters are punting for their teams the market will adjust accordingly
    Not to this level, not across the firms and not at these prices. It’s not down to money - not enough would have been staked at this stage on the lower-ranked clubs to make much of a change in the market.

Perhaps City fans are too long in the tooth to be piling the cash on us to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps City fans are too long in the tooth to be piling the cash on us to do well.
    Nobody piles proper money on the lower-ranked teams in the Championship. Not enough to cause genuine fluctuations in the markets at least.

International

It’s really strange. For instance, when the odds were first published the bookies had City at 50/1 and Preston at 66/1. Now it’s City at 80/1 and Preston at 40/1. I can’t make any sense of it.
    That is odd, I'm going to wait until we get a decent keeper, a centre-half, two fullbacks, and a Striker and the odds drift to 200/1 and then stick 50P on each way.

International

Nobody piles proper money on the lower-ranked teams in the Championship. Not enough to cause genuine fluctuations in the markets at least.
    What odds are Swansea, have they gone up or down?

When Morison but in a load of players - what were the odd before and after that ? - i dont expect you to know by the way.

Im guessing if it's an unknown manager who has no experience of the championship signing some unknown players - then I guess they have a formula they work off.

I would would wager a £10 punt on us reaching the playoffs with an accumulator of getting promotion. Bulut seems focused and a plan - lets see how far it gets him....

International

Maybe the odds researchers (probably AI these days) have thought that the embargo thingy will have a greater impact than they did when the initial odds were assessed.

No City fan would pile proper money on us at the moment, weird how the odds have fluctuated though, does it mean other clubs have been heavily backed? Not a punter so I’m not familiar at all with the workings but it does seem odd that we’ve plummeted.

What odds are Swansea, have they gone up or down?
    They’re currently 25/1. I haven’t been following their odds so don’t know if they’ve fluctuated.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    No City fan would pile proper money on us at the moment, weird how the odds have fluctuated though, does it mean other clubs have been heavily backed? Not a punter so I’m not familiar at all with the workings but it does seem odd that we’ve plummeted.
    If a few teams at the top had been heavily backed, the odds of teams further down the list may lengthen a bit, but that would apply to all of them.

Leaving aside the actual odds, the surprising thing to me is that City have slipped down the bookies’ rankings. As I’ve said, we were generally rated at 14th to 16th when the markets opened, but now it’s 20th to 22nd. That’s the strangest element as far as I’m concerned.

My mate works for SkyBet. Nobody puts any real money on any league winners etc this early in the season. That’s why they took such a hiding when Leicester won the PL.

Still, the odds are bizarre.

At 50, 66, 80 or even 100/1 it’s a silly bet. My guess is that it’s a slam dunk win for the bookies at any of those prices so if they can entice easy money why wouldn’t they?

I went on my annual city center walkabout yesterday and popped in to Coral’s - asked for odds against City getting promoted and after a bit of searching was quoted 14/1

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I went on my annual city center walkabout yesterday and popped in to Coral’s - asked for odds against City getting promoted and after a bit of searching was quoted 14/1
    Undoubtedly local factors at play there, but the notion that we stood a better chance of going up before we signed five new players makes no sense - maybe they think that we've been very hard hit by the departures of Mark Harris and Gavin Whyte?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Undoubtedly local factors at play there, but the notion that we stood a better chance of going up before we signed five new players makes no sense - maybe they think that we've been very hard hit by the departures of Mark Harris and Gavin Whyte?
    Losing two full internationals & only getting Ugbo & Meite in exchange is logical

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    City are 20/1 for promotion with SkyBet, ranked 21st on their list. Only Huddersfield (also 20/1), Plymouth (33/1) and Rotherham (40/1) are equal or bigger prices.

Coral (who always give miserable odds) have City ranked 20th at 14/1. They also put QPR in at 14/1, followed by Huddersfield at 16/1, Plymouth and Rotherham (both 22/1).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Undoubtedly local factors at play there….
    No, that’s their national (and online) price. None of the major bookies give prices based on local factors, their prices are always uniform wherever you are. Small independent bookies may adjust their prices according to local factors, but not the nationals.

We were 4-1 to get relegated when the odds came out and are currently 3-1 4th favourites

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    We were 4-1 to get relegated when the odds came out and are currently 3-1 4th favourites
    If you look at it on paper
    We have a manager that’s new to the Championship, players who are looking to establish themselves in the league, in reality half the team are new to the club
    Plus we have an embargo on signing players for a fee until January
    Based on the above a top half finish would be a big achievement.

What we don’t know is whether Tan has had enough and Dalman along with others will be taking over, or whether Tan has realised that his only realistic hope of getting the money he’s wasted back is by selling a promotion winning team, and further investment with the team will happen in January?

It’s the unknown about the Championship that makes it all the more exciting for me

My head says mid table finish, my heart says top six!!!

I think I’ll raid the piggy bank and go the whole hog and put the full £1 on promotion

The other 21 teams are not standing still either which has an impact on odds. Birmingham for instance seem to have sorted out some of their ownership issues and have recruited a few which has moved them from one of the big favourites for the drop.