+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Learning Cymraeg, any takers?

Learning Cymraeg, any takers?

https://faw.cymru/news/learning-cymr...ough-football/

I think they're targeting the likes of JamesWales, The Lone Gunman and the ilk?

*shiitstirring*

Re: Learning Cymraeg, any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    https://faw.cymru/news/learning-cymr...ough-football/

I think they're targeting the likes of JamesWales, The Lone Gunman and the ilk?

*shiitstirring*
    So after becoming fluent in Welsh you'll be able to have conversations with the same number of people in Wales as before as they all speak English 🤣. Much better off learning Spanish or another European language, you can then broaden your horizons

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    So after becoming fluent in Welsh you'll be able to have conversations with the same number of people in Wales as before as they all speak English 🤣. Much better off learning Spanish or another European language, you can then broaden your horizons
    This has always been my thinking, have always wanted to learn a language, finally work has calmed down in the last year and think I can commit an hour a day soon to a Language.

Would love to speak Welsh, but find it hard to justify the investment, especially considering as a family we holiday in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    The course is not intended to make people fluent, it’s at the introductory/hobby level. A bit like learning a bit of Spanish so you can know some of the basics whilst on holiday. It looks like it will hardly take any time so good luck to anybody who wants to give it a go,

I started to learn Italian on Duolingo a couple of years ago. It’s a fun way of learning that has got me to a standard where I can just about get by over there now. I wouldn’t expect to get anywhere fluent using the app but it’s a good challenge with promotion / relegation depending on how much you do!

Welsh is a lovely language to hear but when it comes to the ability to speak it I have none whatsoever

I have taken several courses , I have given it a go but its not going to happen

Shame

I was crap at French too

And my English has its flakey moments

Isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    I started to learn Italian on Duolingo a couple of years ago. It’s a fun way of learning that has got me to a standard where I can just about get by over there now. I wouldn’t expect to get anywhere fluent using the app but it’s a good challenge with promotion / relegation depending on how much you do!
    I think the big question with language learning is why are you doing it. I speak German, and have some French and a very small bit of Italian. I'd love to improve in those latter two languages. I have the time to throw myself into it, but you really need a compelling reason to do it to keep the motivation up. I started learning Italian a few decades ago because I spent a bit of time there and met an Italian girl. I'm a bit too old (and a bit too married ) for that to be a motivation now!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Welsh is a lovely language to hear but when it comes to the ability to speak it I have none whatsoever

I have taken several courses , I have given it a go but its not going to happen

Shame

I was crap at French too

And my English has its flakey moments

Isn't it
    I have no aptitude for languages either. I took evening classes in French for a few years and was pretty good at reading and writing. I used to practice by translating newspaper articles during lunch at work. But I was hopeless at conversations which is what I actually wanted to be able to do.

I am considering learning Welsh when I've finished my current uni course, which should be next year. But I'm concerned I'll be crap at that too and just waste my time.

I learn with learnwelsh.cymru. Great tutors and fellow students from within and outwith Wales, all keen on Wales and its unique Welsh-language culture. Prices are reasonable and you can learn online or in a classroom. It's hard but I've learnt a lot about native Welsh culture which I didn't know about because I didn't know the language.

They arrange social get-togethers to practice with native Welsh speakers. You CAN use it even in anglicized areas like Cardiff, where there certainly are Welsh speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    But I'm concerned I'll be crap at that too and just waste my time.
    …learning anything, to whatever level, is never a waste of time. Might sound a bit soppy but it’s healthier than watching someone restore an old clock on youtube…or having a slagging match with some dullhead on a football messageboard.

The acquisition pf cutural knowledge is a wholesome pursuit

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    …learning anything, to whatever level, is never a waste of time. Might sound a bit soppy but it’s healthier than watching someone restore an old clock on youtube…or having a slagging match with some dullhead on a football messageboard.

What about listening to the first 8 Black Sabbath albums , continually over 24 hours ?

That's culture

I have dabbled with a number of languages over the years and have always had the romantic notion of learning Welsh (as I did at school for a number of years). However, I consider it more rewarding in many way to learn a language where you can visit the country concerned and find people who speak no English whatsoever and so that it is the only linguistic conduit available. I would feel sorry for a Welsh-speaker waiting five minutes for me to construct a sentence very poorly when he or she speaks English as well as I do.
    Not that Taunton is a hotbed of Welsh speakers anyway.....

As I commented before, it's another example of the FAW becoming politicised. The relative successes of recent years have gone to their heads..

No point, unless you are planning to settle in Anglesey or Patagonia.

If I was younger and my missus wanted our young children to go to Welsh school to say give them the best opportunities for work in Wales then it would benefit the kids if the parents spoke Welsh and I would more than likely entertain the idea.

I would sooner learn Spanish or Italian to potentially help converse with folk in many more parts if the world.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As I commented before, it's another example of the FAW becoming politicised. The relative successes of recent years have gone to their heads..
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No point, unless you are planning to settle in Anglesey or Patagonia.

If I was younger and my missus wanted our young children to go to Welsh school to say give them the best opportunities for work in Wales then it would benefit the kids if the parents spoke Welsh and I would more than likely entertain the idea.

I would sooner learn Spanish or Italian to potentially help converse with folk in many more parts if the world.
    I hear plenty of Welsh being spoken at Wales games and there are apparently 37,000 Welsh speakers in Cardiff. That's a lot of trips to Magalluf.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I hear plenty of Welsh being spoken at Wales games and there are apparently 37,000 Welsh speakers in Cardiff. That's a lot of trips to Magalluf.
    If you would care to do a little research I think you will find that those figures of Welsh speakers pale into insignificance when compared with the amount of Spanish and Italian speakers worldwide.

Did three years of Welsh in school learnt feck all.
    Took me 6 months to get the basics of Swedish.. i wonder why!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

I agree and I wouldn't otherwise be spending my time watching daytime TV. But to sustain an interest in something you have to, I my experience, have some progress, to show for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    If you would care to do a little research I think you will find that those figures of Welsh speakers pale into insignificance when compared with the amount of Spanish and Italian speakers worldwide.
    Tbf, it's a 10 hour course I believe, covering basic pronunciation and alphabet, days of the week, numbers etc. Perhaps for those who would just like to pronounce town names in the country they live in correctly, or the words of their National Anthem. Along with understanding a few everyday words and phrases. Whichever language you learn at that level I think it's really more of a hobby/curiosity than an expectation you'll suddenly be casually liaising in local tongue with the residents of Madrid or Rome etc.