+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We are going to finish 23rd

We are going to finish 23rd

According to FourFourTwo's big Season Preview edition.

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

They have Ipswich making the playoffs.

Swansea 14th and Bristol City 16th.

What do you think? Are we going to finish 23rd?

Re: We are going to finish 23rd

I really don't understand why we are favourites for relegation with the bookies. Probably heart v head but I'm hoping for a top 10 finish

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

No

But this is about balancing a book rather than odds vs probability.

Unless you are daft enough to follow us you probably haven't been paying attention to Vinny drifting away and paying the second and third installment of the Nantes money, a proper manager turning up, and some decent championship players arriving and those not quite at that level leaving.

There'll be fivers and tenners from south Wales on us at fancy odds, but little elsewhere. 13/8 for Leicester to be promoted seems stingy to me when generally (the stattos on here will prove me wrong :)) at least one of the relegated teams blow up into a mini-crisis and death spiral. I think Southampton will be the team this year, they bought a lot of (too) young players last year who struggled in the premier league but with another year and an easier league will be decent IMO.

I think its going to be very tight top 10

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

I think that we may struggle.

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

We've lost our 3 best players from last year, the replacements so far are very questionable. Only the Welsh goggles think Ramsey will be a success, almost everyone else think he's finished. An unkown manager and a transfer embargo, its easy to see and understand if pragmatic.

We are in for a season of struggle and I'd be very surprised if we end the season with the manager we started with. 20 and below for me.

Probably printed before recent signings but still don't think they are far off it.

Lot of optimism here is for the unknown quality of our manager and Ramsey.

I think Ramsey is a good signing for our squad but it's so difficult to say how impactful he will be.

I do think Grant looks a good addition.

Biggest issue is we have lost our better players from last year and I'm still not convinced we will score enough.

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

T be honest they haven't got a clue

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

This Ipswich love in amongst the bookies and the media seems a bit unjustified, you'd think they'd won League 1 by 50 points last season... they didn't even win it

No I don’t but it’s also not as rosy as some people are thinking.
    Bulut for Lamouchi
    Goutas for Kipre
    Grant for Kaba
    Ramsey for Philogene
    Meite for Harris
    Ugbo for Whyte
    I don’t think we’ll be relegated but it would be good to get a couple more in for us to make a big step forward

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    But this is about balancing a book rather than odds vs probability.

Unless you are daft enough to follow us you probably haven't been paying attention to Vinny drifting away and paying the second and third installment of the Nantes money, a proper manager turning up, and some decent championship players arriving and those not quite at that level leaving.

There'll be fivers and tenners from south Wales on us at fancy odds, but little elsewhere. 13/8 for Leicester to be promoted seems stingy to me when generally (the stattos on here will prove me wrong :)) at least one of the relegated teams blow up into a mini-crisis and death spiral. I think Southampton will be the team this year, they bought a lot of (too) young players last year who struggled in the premier league but with another year and an easier league will be decent IMO.

I think its going to be very tight top 10
    I think you're right on the money(poor pun)The same bookies had WBA as a shoe in this time last year if I remember right.Thing is they are guided by money first and foremost together with the perceived wisdom of those who profess to know all.I'd like to think what we are doing this season is under their radar and I'm confident there will be no repeat of last season.

Let's see how many points we've picked up by the end of Ipswich away. Right now, head says bottom quarter. Lots of unknown variables at the moment. Eg Collins at LB regaining form, if indeed he is first choice LB. A leader on the pitch (Ramsey?) is desperately needed, too, as there was no-one directing operations last season like Gunnarson used to do so effectively. This time last year there were three away friendlies which gave an idea of how well (badly) we were going to do. Whilst Portugal was a good test, let's see how we get on v Wycombe and Leeds (forget Colchester...play the nippers). Plus, if we don't beat QPR at home then it could be another long season.

Only QPR below us.

Leicester to win it.

I'll hazard a guess where we are going to end up in this division once the transfer window closes. Still just over a month to go. We really do need a new goalkeeper if we are to progress up the league though, more than a player in any other position. Neither Alsop nor Alnwick fill me with confidence.

I would put good money on Leicester not winning the league, especially now they've lost Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes. Just about making the play-offs in my eyes.

As for the City, I definitely don't see us in a relegation scrap but much will depend on the quality of our next batch of signings. If they are good or possibly very good I think we may surprise a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    The same bookies had WBA as a shoe in this time last year if I remember right.
    You don't remember right. Norwich were narrow favourites for promotion last year. West Brom were third in the betting.

If we get the keeper we need I’m positively looking at mid table.

Think we look weaker in defence and slightly improved in midfield and attack (although all three of our new forwards had a poor time of it in 22/23). We still look like a bottom third squad that needs our manager to be as good as Mehmet Dalman thinks he is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    If we get the keeper we need I’m positively looking at mid table.
    I’d have a keeper way down the list of priorities. We need goals, creativity from deep, a centre half and full back cover

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You don't remember right. Norwich were narrow favourites for promotion last year. West Brom were third in the betting.
    If Carlsberg did pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I’d have a keeper way down the list of priorities. We need goals, creativity from deep, a centre half and full back cover
    Not for me, a keeper is total priority I have little faith in either we have. Their stats last season were the worse or near the worse. I think a decent keeper wacks a shed load of points on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Nah we need a keeper as an absolute priority.

Then a CB.

I think 2 players of quality there and we should be safe.

[QUOTE=OurManFlint II;5440693Only the Welsh goggles think Ramsey will be a success, almost everyone else think he's finished.

This is an example of the stupidity of social media.

How anyone could make such a crass comment as a fact and get away with it is beyond me. I don't know whose Man Flint you are but they are welcome to you.

TLG stands at the side with his bucket of cold water, just waiting for any sign of optimism to douse.

It's his way and has been for years.

It’s pedantic to point out someone’s claim was hopelessly wide of the mark? Righto…

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    TLG stands at the side with his bucket of cold water, just waiting for any sign of optimism to douse.
    It’s got nothing to do with optimism or otherwise. I’m merely pointing out that the bookies did not believe West Brom were a shoe-in last year as was claimed.

They were well wide of the mark with their predictions last season. Burnley, who pissed the division, were ranked sixth in the pre-season betting. City were ranked 15th, so they got that badly wrong too.