+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watters has left

Re: Watters has left

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Getting ~£250k upfront is akin to the Zohore to West Brom fee , a minor miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Four goals in five games started for Barnsley is pretty decent.
    He scored one goal in five starts and promptly got himself sent off in the game he did score in. He was subbed in all of his other four starts, on 64 mins, 58 mins, 64 mins and 65 mins. Sounds familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He scored one goal in five starts and promptly got himself sent off in the game he did score in. He was subbed in all of his other four starts, on 64 mins, 58 mins, 64 mins and 65 mins. Sounds familiar?
    Since he left Crawley he's played 52 league games and played the full 90 minutes on 2 occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Utter rubbish as usual. Typical of the way he was treated by some so called ‘fans’ down here. He was popular up there last season and scored some important goals. He didn’t play more because he picked up a knock but was also sent off, so missed some games. He actually played 19 times (incl subs),scored 4 goals and was there four months. Still only 24 as well, so he has a chance. Didn't work out here but wasn't given much of a chance.
    Well here's a turn-up for the books. I compliment the club on getting a fee for Watters, which I think is an incredible piece of business, but you declare I'm talking rubbish. Have you had a bump on the napper recently?

Anyway, let's examine your claims: you stated Watters was at Barnsley for only four months last season as opposed to five. In fact, he signed for the Tykes on 05/01/23 and was on the bench for their play-off final on 29/05/23, so that's five months as near as dammit.

You say he didn't play more because 'he picked up a knock', but you don't say when that allegedly happened. That's no surprise considering Watters was either in Barnsley's starting line-up or on their bench (and used as a sub on every occasion apart from one play-off game in May) for every Football League game the Tykes played following his arrival in January, the exceptions being the three matches in February he missed when he was suspended as a result of his sending-off.

You claim he played 19 times for Barnsley including sub appearances. In fact, it was 21 times - 5 starts and 16 sub appearances.

You've stated Watters was very popular at Oakwell. I'll have to bow to your greater knowledge on that one as I know you have insider contacts all over Yorkshire (see the Madine loan fee affair for further info).

You said Watters wasn't given much of a chance here. On the contrary, he actually started more games for Cardiff City last season (8) than he did for Barnsley (5). He had more than enough chances in a Bluebirds shirt. 22 of them to be precise. But he wasn't up to the levels required for Championship football, which is why he's back in League One.

I must say, it's a bit curious that you've chosen to leap to the defence of a player that the club has binned after concluding he's not good enough. Is this a thinly-veiled criticism of CCFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I don't recall the fans giving him a hard time.
    I’d say he was treated worse by one of his managers at Cardiff in particular than he was by the fans. Based on what we saw of him here, it’s remarkable that a club which finished only six places below us in the league structure have paid any fee for him when he’s in the last year of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Have you had a bump on the napper recently?
    Moments after birth, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    surely those are the kind of things that can easily be addressed with good coaching? like it's difficult to change how fast you are very much for example, but surely anyone can be coached to run to the front post when the ball is out wide?
    he'd not long come from non league and I've heard it said elsewhere that our coaching wasn't upto much.
    Maybe but to a degree, you’ve got to understand where to go and why you’re making the run. Watters has been playing pro football since 2020 and he’s miles out of his depth at Championship level. I’m surprised Barnsley have signed him. He scored 4 in 19 in a really good League 1 side.

Our coaching was poor last season, and has been for a while. Who was the last player that’s come on leaps and bounds under us? The Jacks get players and improve them whereas seemingly every player we get stays the same. Hopefully Bulut and the coaches will improve that.

Barnsley win 7-0 and the only thing he picks up was a yellow card, no goal or assist.

I’ve read two match reports and he didn’t even get a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Barnsley win 7-0 and the only thing he picks up was a yellow card, no goal or assist.
    Subbed in the 61st minute. I see Ojo picked up a yellow card too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Dont think anyone should be too critical of him just yet. That was his first competitive game/start for quite a while and Barnsley were already 5-0 up when he went off.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Dont think anyone should be too critical of him just yet. That was his first competitive game/start for quite a while and Barnsley were already 5-0 up when he went off.
    Not critical just surprised (or not surprised maybe)