+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time home in ten years - need advice.

First time home in ten years - need advice.

Went down a rabbit hole of WOL articles implying that Queen Street has become a zombieland full of drug abusers. Was planning on staying at the Hilton because of easy access to Greggs etc. for breakfast.

Is town really as bad as it seems? Even in the day? There were people in the comments saying they don't bring their kids there and I'm bringing my 3 and 7 year olds.

Would you stay in town or down the Bay? Any advice other than "grow up" from J R Hartley?

I only have a few days and will be meeting family mostly but any places you'd recommend bringing the young ones? Hoping to have them fall in love with the city. I saw Techniquest is still about.

Re: First time home in ten years - need advice.

We did techniquest recently with my kids, not sure a three year old will get much from it but the seven year old will I'm sure.
    Quite a few of the exhibits have been revamped from when I can remember going as a kid.
    We also booked a live talk in their theatre, one about going to space, that's was good too, they lit various gasses and made a rocket 'fly' across the room. I think that was an extra £3 each.
    As for town / hotels I can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Went down a rabbit hole of WOL articles implying that Queen Street has become a zombieland full of drug abusers. Was planning on staying at the Hilton because of easy access to Greggs etc. for breakfast.

Is town really as bad as it seems? Even in the day? There were people in the comments saying they don't bring their kids there and I'm bringing my 3 and 7 year olds.

Would you stay in town or down the Bay? Any advice other than "grow up" from J R Hartley?

I only have a few days and will be meeting family mostly but any places you'd recommend bringing the young ones? Hoping to have them fall in love with the city. I saw Techniquest is still about.
    Will you see homeless people and a few beauts? Yes.

Does the city centre resemble a scene from 'The Last of Us'? No.

I regularly use Hotel Indigo and never had any problems being attacked by drug ravaged zombies.

As for the kids, how about Ninja Warrior. Plenty of places to explore outside like Caerphilly Castle etc if you got a car?

Saturday night can be a scene mind with piissed up hordes rolling around St. Mary's Street, unless you're participating in it.

One thing youll learn very quickly is that the WOL comments section regulars are utter loonies.(for the mosy part).

There was some bloke on there a couple of days ago blaming the behaviour of todays youngsters on the Senedd banning smacking.

Id rather come across the odd homeless person or druggie than the WOL comments section regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    One thing youll learn very quickly is that the WOL comments section regulars are utter loonies.(for the mosy part).

There was some bloke on there blaming the behaviour of todays youngsters on the Senedd banning smacking.

Id rather come across the odd homeless person or druggie than the WOL comments section regular.

No offence, but if you're prioritising your hotel on it's convenience for a 'Greggs breakfast', then ,well !
    Dozens of excellent, independent cafes and restaurants that would serve you up a wonderful breakfast in far nicer surroundings. Where for lunch, Subway ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    No offence, but if you're prioritising your hotel on it's convenience for a 'Greggs breakfast', then ,well !
    Dozens of excellent, independent cafes and restaurants that would serve you up a wonderful breakfast in far nicer surroundings. Where for lunch, Subway ?
    No offence taken!

It's more like 12-13 years not ten. Yes I'm travelling 7,000 miles for a steak bake and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm sure I'll get to the independent cafes too. Any you'd recommend? Pontcanna looks great nowadays!

No offence taken!

It's more like 12-13 years not ten. Yes I'm travelling 7,000 miles for a steak bake and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm sure I'll get to the independent cafes too. Any you'd recommend? Pontcanna looks great nowadays!
    Pontcanna is OK but you'll need your English/Welsh phrase book. Try walking St Mary Street, the Arcades, some great breakfasts there. Think the old Sasparella bar does breakfasts - had lunch there and was v. Good.

And Chippy Lane for dinner?

Pontcanna is OK but you'll need your English/Welsh phrase book. Try walking St Mary Street, the Arcades, some great breakfasts there. Think the old Sasparella bar does breakfasts - had lunch there and was v. Good.
    The best breakfast for both taste and value in town used to be a cafe called "Spud's". It was near to Sam's bar on the Hayes.
    Owned by a London guy, very friendly, very clean and quick service on large plates.
    Long gone now, no doubt.

Breakfast, I think I read Pillars does breakie you might find Tuerto sat in the corner

Seriously, We were in Cardiff for a gig, yes it was a Friday night, I will admit, town has deteriated massively imho, loads of homeless ( and the unsightly scenes they bring ), but the main issue for us was the pissed / coked up blokes, they all looked like they wanted to fight anyone ( the vibe was very edgy ), then we add the girls, completely wasted, staggering around and falling over, the sad thing was, this was about 10.00 - 10.30, so not massively late
    maybe its my age, but it was never that bad imho

There seem to be 3 main places where some of those less fortunate seem to congregate.
    Queen St around Greggs and the Nye Bevan statue, St John Church, and about 3/4 of the way down St Mary Street.
    Don't let that put you off though as the electric bikes are far more of a danger to anyone of any age. There's also plenty of brilliant places to eat especially in the market and the old arcades.

If you can stick to the Bay, then do it. It's almost a complete chav-free zone unlike the city centre, which I hate going into during the evening these days. Now that is chav central

I’d skip town and stay down the bay mate
    Depending on your budget there’s the travelodge or a more up market Future inns to the Exchange Hotel or the five star St David’s
    The Bay is like being on holiday abroad with ample things to do
    You could even take a meandering boat ride which moors in Bute Park alongside the castle
    The city centre by day is fantastic with retail therapy for the ladies and even a round of golf in st David’s if you felt inclined
    Cardiff indoor market is fast becoming a foodie Mecca if you fancy something to eat and if you wanted a cheap excursion day look no further than St Fagans Museum
    It would suit all ages and was voted the best free excursion in the UK
    Hope this helps
    Enjoy your trip home and hopefully you manage to see Rambo’s return ⚽️

Cheers all, appreciate it!

Hopefully doing Preston away, WBA home and I can't bloody wait

techniquest is fine for younger kids as well, there's plenty they won't understand but they can just play with the water or look at the dinosaur screen etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    techniquest is fine for younger kids as well, there's plenty they won't understand but they can just play with the water or look at the dinosaur screen etc
    His favourite, that's that sorted then

Stay somewhere else because Cardiff by night these days is utter shite

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    There seem to be 3 main places where some of those less fortunate seem to congregate.
    Queen St around Greggs and the Nye Bevan statue, St John Church, and about 3/4 of the way down St Mary Street.
    Don't let that put you off though as the electric bikes are far more of a danger to anyone of any age. There's also plenty of brilliant places to eat especially in the market and the old arcades.
    Yes the market has some decent eateries these days, will be even more soon when they revamp it, shame it’s not open into the evening with a bar or two, even Newport market opens late now. Surprised the council haven’t tried to sweep up the homeless like they have in Newport and Bristol where they appear to have disappeared or possibly all come here. If you’re out late pm or early eve it’s so busy you tend not to notice them so much like early am….not sure what town is like after 11pm as not had to suffer it for about 8 yrs now I think.

His favourite, that's that sorted then
    in that case Dan yr ogof caves also if you have a car.

there was a dinosaur thing in one of the parks recently but I think that's moved on elsewhere now

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    Stay somewhere else because Cardiff by night these days is utter shite
    it's fine, there's probably less normal people going out, and the same number of homeless and drugged up people so it seems like there's more.

Stay in nice guest house oe Beverly Cathedral Road . Close to park for kids . Short walk into City via sophia parks . AwY from the crap and it is crap .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's fine, there's probably less normal people going out, and the same number of homeless and drugged up people so it seems like there's more.
    That may be true, but my comment is that Cardiff is a shit night out, and you're not going to change my mind. The bars are dross, the music scene is contemptible at best, and there are no decent clubs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    That may be true, but my comment is that Cardiff is a shit night out, and you're not going to change my mind. The bars are dross, the music scene is contemptible at best, and there are no decent clubs at all.

ah yeah I'm not going to disagree entirely there

International

You'll be disappointed, between Cardiff City Council and Drakefords government town especially is turning into a right sh!thole.

Remember it's 20 mph with Cameras everywhere, one lane in as most lanes are now for either bus which use them once an hour or so or cycle lanes which are used about twice a day unless one of the cyclists is off, then once a day. Western Ave is 30mph and is generating hundreds of tickets an hour so be careful there.

Once you finally crawl into the Bay, it's not too bad and much better than town.