+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driver who racked up almost £3,000 in Clean Air Zone fines claims she 'thought she had six days to pay' after receiving enforcement letters

Re: Driver who racked up almost £3,000 in Clean Air Zone fines claims she 'thought she had six days to pay' after receiving enforcement letters

The Welsh government is considering introducing a congestion charge on the A470 around Pontypridd, presumably where the 50mph stretch is currently. As someone who lives in mid Wales where there is no rail link within 20 miles I'd be interested in how I can make the journey without a car? Buses are very infrequent and and there is no direct connection to Cardiff. It would literally take all day to get to Cardiff and back except that the last bus back would be too early so it would be a two day affair. Otherwise, it would presumably be a park and ride from Merthyr? Who knows?

The A470 is the backbone of the Welsh road system. Hopefully they'll dismiss the idea but they have a record of introducing left-field policies with little thought behind them. They're very Cardiff-centric.

Re: Driver who racked up almost £3,000 in Clean Air Zone fines claims she 'thought she had six days to pay' after receiving enforcement letters

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    The Welsh government is considering introducing a congestion charge on the A470 around Pontypridd, presumably where the 50mph stretch is currently. As someone who lives in mid Wales where there is no rail link within 20 miles I'd be interested in how I can make the journey without a car? Buses are very infrequent and and there is no direct connection to Cardiff. It would literally take all day to get to Cardiff and back except that the last bus back would be too early so it would be a two day affair. Otherwise, it would presumably be a park and ride from Merthyr? Who knows?

The A470 is the backbone of the Welsh road system. Hopefully they'll dismiss the idea but they have a record of introducing left-field policies with little thought behind them. They're very Cardiff-centric.
    The idea is you will have everything that you need within walking distance of your home, except maybe your granny, your girlfriend, your mates, favourite pubs & restaurants, football, concerts, beaches, mountains, holidays, etc., but don't worry you will be happy

International

The Welsh government is considering introducing a congestion charge on the A470 around Pontypridd, presumably where the 50mph stretch is currently. As someone who lives in mid-Wales where there is no rail link within 20 miles I'd be interested in how I can make the journey without a car. Buses are very infrequent and and there is no direct connection to Cardiff. It would literally take all day to get to Cardiff and back except that the last bus back would be too early so it would be a two day affair. Otherwise, it would presumably be a park and ride from Merthyr? Who knows?

They are building some big park-and-ride metro crap at Taffs Well, they'll want you to pay that charge and then get a trolly bus from there, Wales is going back in time, things are constantly getting worse it's the opposite of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They are building some big park-and-ride metro crap at Taffs Well, they'll want you to pay that charge and then get a trolly bus from there, Wales is going back in time, things are constantly getting worse it's the opposite of progress.
    When it comes to public transport I would happily go back 40 years.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The idea is you will have everything that you need within walking distance of your home, except maybe your granny, your girlfriend, your mates, favourite pubs & restaurants, football, concerts, beaches, mountains, holidays, etc., but don't worry you will be happy
    Mates, pubs, restaurants OK, I'll miss the rest

Cardiff will be on the box I expect like Covid days.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Yes, I suppose and driving was better!

You get the point!

Any link to the Welsh Govt saying they were considering a congestion charge on the A470?

Last I read they said they werent considering the clean air clean air zone charge for the A470. (which the vast majority of cars like Bristol wouldnt occur a charge anyway even if introduced)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Any link to the Welsh Govt saying they were considering a congestion charge on the A470?

Last I read they said they werent considering the clean air clean air zone charge for the A470. (which the vast majority of cars like Bristol wouldnt occur a charge anyway even if introduced)
    If 15 days to flatten the curve is anything to go by then it's probably going to happen, and it will most likely be a lot worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    This air theft charge will be the death knell for Bristol city centre. For instance, I used to visit Bristol city centre on average three times a year to visit the Record Fair at the Colston Hall and the wonderful 2nd hand record shops that Bristol has in the centre. I could spend well over £100 on vinyl plus on top of that a meal and a drinks. Thus spending approximately £150 per visit. If the cretins that run Bristol council think I am going to spend another £9 on top of this, just to enter their 'great' city, they can think again.

As well as conning motorists out of money for this air theft charge, for entering the centre of Bristol, the cunning sneaky thieving gits have also introduced it for drivers who use the Portway (the road that goes under the Clifton Suspension Bridge) knowing that tens of thousands of motorists use this road from south and west Wales, Gloucestershire and the Midlands to get to and from Bristol airport. Thankfully, there are other routes that can be used other than using the Portway to avoid this charge. Adds a bit of time to your journey, but hey-ho, you aren't giving into these dipsticks.
    Set off from Ely to Bristol airport via the most direct route at 2am this morning. Barely seen any cars, plenty of road works but no workers and amazingly didn’t stop at a single set of lights - I stayed at the speed limit which didn’t hit national speed limit until the A4 off the Severn Bridge and down the Portway and it took exactly 1hr 40.

Made me think this isn’t an easy airport to get to anymore and it could have easily taken another hour in daylight which could have caused a panic.

International

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Set off from Ely to Bristol airport via the most direct route at 2am this morning. Barely seen any cars, plenty of road works but no workers and amazingly didn’t stop at a single set of lights - I stayed at the speed limit which didn’t hit national speed limit until the A4 off the Severn Bridge and down the Portway and it took exactly 1hr 40.

Made me think this isn’t an easy airport to get to anymore and it could have easily taken another hour in daylight which could have caused a panic.
    Nowhere is easy to get to anymore, they are killing the car.

Nowhere is easy to get to anymore, they are killing the car.
    Not for everybody though, those with pots of money won't be affected. Do you remember how the private jets were allowed to fly without any restrictions during covid, or Dave's "we are all in it together" austerity nonsense.

Not for everybody though, those with pots of money won't be affected. Do you remember how the private jets were allowed to fly without any restrictions during covid, or Dave's "we are all in it together" austerity nonsense.
    I would love it if everything I needed was a short walk away

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would love it if everything I needed was a short walk away
    Try it for a couple of months and report back, I'd love to know what it's like to live in a 15 minute radius by foot. On seconds thoughts, I could just go and observe some sheep in the field down the road.

Try it for a couple of months and report back, I'd love to know what it's like to live in a 15 minute radius by foot. On seconds thoughts, I could just go and observe some sheep in the field down the road.
    I can't, not everything I need is a short walk away

While I think there is a place for ulez schemes etc. Surely we need to be going after the manafacturers and point of sales taxes aswell. Get rid of these stupid f*cking SUV things from city roads. Pumping out rubbish and particulates(even when electric).

When it comes to eco protesters I don't normally have much time. But the guys(and gals) that go round damaging SUVs, all power to them !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...4-26526216.amp

They say they are not currently planning to introduce them. This begs the question of why they would create legislative power to do so? They have said if the current 50mph zone doesn't reduce pollution they will consider it.

The Taffs Well hub would be downstream of the congestion charge zone. So you'd have to pay to the use the park and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'd happily go back almost 60 years, if the railway lines and stations that Beeching did away with were re-introduced. Well, the ones that can be, at any rate

I'd happily go back almost 60 years, if the railway lines and stations that Beeching did away with were re-introduced. Well, the ones that can be, at any rate
    And I would have 4 buses an hour from the stop over the road, not 1 an hour.

And I'd have a station literally across the road from my house.

International

The Taffs Well hub would be downstream of the congestion charge zone. So you'd have to pay to the use the park and ride.
    It's a rolling goal, lower speeds, closed roads, residents only so you can't park, congestion charge 10-mile radius, a bit later 20-mile, later 40-mile, electric-only cars from 2030, and whatever it takes after that, the goalposts keep moving.