+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What game angered / pleased you the most from a match with no affiliation for either team

What game angered / pleased you the most from a match with no affiliation for either team

2 recent ones spring to mind for annoyance for me

Argentina V France & Wednesday V Barnsley

Didn’t want either of the eventual successors to win.

Re: What game angered / pleased you the most from a match with no affiliation for either team

England have provided a few that have pleased me immensely. Lampards disallowed goal in the World Cup and their defeat to Iceland to name but 2.
    If I was Irish I'd never forgive Thierry Henry.

Re: What game angered / pleased you the most from a match with no affiliation for either team

Suarez handball against Ghana stands out for me. Smart by the rules of the game but a really unlikeable player and team, and knocked out a fun Ghana squad.

Too many England defeats to count, but can't really say no affiliation in that case I don't think.

Reading v Swansea playoff final

Angered Germany v France. Schumacher s challenge on Battiston.

Couldnt stand the German sides.

Barnsley v Swansea play off was fun. Particularly Tates penalty.

Brazil 1 Germany 7 Absolutely hilarious, Game over after 24 minutes. Brazil humiliated in their own back yard. I hated Brazil during that world cup, all emotive, tears during the anthem, and two hits at it. David Luiz losing his shit and putting himself up front after the third went in. Germany didn't get caught up in the bullshit and absolutely pissed all over Brazil. Loved it.

And when Diego beat super shilts to the jump and our lord and saviour decided to do the right thing- Brilliant, just for the reaction, although i did feel for the shopkeepers whose windows were put in, in Margate, or anyone who remotely looked foreign.

I remember being really pissed off at Leeds losing to Bayern in 1975.

Only time I think I've ever felt something for another team is when I used to watch the FA Cup and any of the minnows would do over a bigger team.

Edit: I always want Swansea to lose.
    Last edited by Carl Dale's Mole; 27-07-23 at 03:32. Reason: Jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Brazil 1 Germany 7 Absolutely hilarious, Game over after 24 minutes. Brazil humiliated in their own back yard. I hated Brazil during that world cup, all emotive, tears during the anthem, and two hits at it. David Luiz losing his shit and putting himself up front after the third went in. Germany didn't get caught up in the bullshit and absolutely pissed all over Brazil. Loved it.
    That’s a good shout - always rebelled against the line that we should all love Brazil. The 2006 FA Cup Final was a great game that was won by the wrong team.

And when Diego beat super shilts to the jump and our lord and saviour decided to do the right thing- Brilliant, just for the reaction, although i did feel for the shopkeepers whose windows were put in, in Margate, or anyone who remotely looked foreign.
    It's also extremely entertaining that 'the hand of god' still grips Shilton's shiit today and he still throws a hissy fit about it.

He's only got himself to blame, imagine being out jumped by a drug ravaged hobbit?

Shilton is a prized beaut, which makes it funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    It's also extremely entertaining that 'the hand of god' still grips Shilton's shiit today and he still throws a hissy fit about it.

He's only got himself to blame, imagine being out jumped by a drug ravaged hobbit?

Shilton is a prized beaut, which makes it funnier.
    His bitterness almost 40 years later is hilarious.

Even his “condolences” when Diego died was through gritted teeth.

Absolute whopper.

Dinamo Bucharest v Lazio, Champions League 2007.
    After a draw in Lazio Dinamo led 1-0 at half-time but collapsed in the second half due to a woeful performance by their defence including conceding an idiotic penalty immediately after the restart, to eventually lose 3-1.
    Even as the game continued there were comments that certain players had been "bought" to ensure Lazio's progress and there were very strong rumours the rest of the week. The defender (with the magnificent Romanian name of Nastase) who conceded the pen and was particularly useless after half-time had his contract terminated immediately and the manager was gone shortly afterwards.
    It is the only game I've seen where frustration and confusion with a dramatic change in performance has turned into anger that a "fix" is unfolding in front of your eyes.

Brazil v Portugal 1966

Pele got kicked to death

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Brazil v Portugal 1966

Pele got kicked to death

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OtnR06Z3EY

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    His bitterness almost 40 years later is hilarious.

Even his “condolences” when Diego died was through gritted teeth.

Absolute whopper.
    We talk similar even further back about Joe Jordan hand ball

There are probably quite a few but the first one that springs to mind (for enjoyment) is Coventry 3 Spurs 2 in the 87 Cup Final

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    There are probably quite a few but the first one that springs to mind (for enjoyment) is Coventry 3 Spurs 2 in the 87 Cup Final
    That was a good 'un, lovely sunny day. I'd arranged to meet a girl from school in town that day, I was 14. Didn't want to cancel as I liked her. Really wanted to watch the FA cup final though because Dave Bennett was playing, my favourite city player. So, we met up and stood outside rumbelows watching the game through the shop window 🤣 it didn't end too badly because 37 years later we're still together.

That was a good 'un, lovely sunny day. I'd arranged to meet a girl from school in town that day, I was 14. Didn't want to cancel as I liked her. Really wanted to watch the FA cup final though because Dave Bennett was playing, my favourite city player. So, we met up and stood outside rumbelows watching the game through the shop window 🤣 it didn't end too badly because 37 years later we're still together.
    Love that, and congratulations.

Fair play to her too after such a romantic early date.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I remember being really pissed off at Leeds losing to Bayern in 1975.
    I have developed a general dislike of Leeds over the years, mainly due to their deluded fans, but I remember watching this game with my Dad (I was 11) and how completely unjust it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Love that, and congratulations.

Fair play to her too after such a romantic early date.
    She reminds me of it now, in the interests of nostalgia I took her to Coventry for our 25th wedding Anniversary.

She reminds me of it now, in the interests of nostalgia I took her to Coventry for our 25th wedding Anniversary.
    Not on a horse, I hope

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Not on a horse, I hope
    A reference to Lady Godiva by any chance?

A reference to Lady Godiva by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    We talk similar even further back about Joe Jordan hand ball
    Some fans maybe but I’ve yet to notice any Welsh player from that night that still talks about it with such bitterness and as regularly as Shilton does Maradona. He even brought it up when the bloke died ffs.

If he wants to blame anyone for England not winning the world cup in his era he should look in the mirror. He had an absolute shocker in the semi final against West Germany in 1990 for their goal and didn’t get anywhere near any of their penalties.